1. kcd
    UPDATE (1/1/2008): It appears I've solved this problem (at least I think I have). Since my original post, I read about someone solving a similar problem by changing any contact's birthdate from the current year to a prior year. So, I went through my Treo's Calendar, opened all the birthdates, and changed any birth year of 2006, 2007, and 2008 to the actual (prior ) birth year. I also turned off the alarm for the birthdate. Without even rebooting, the problem is solved. I hope I remember this fix next year!

[Note 1/1/2008): The problem is back again -- last year's fix doesn't work this year--HELP! Please see my most recent post below for details--Thanks!!]

[Note (1/2/2007): The problem described below no longer persists; please see my last post for what I did to solve it.]

Hello! I've searched the forums here, and can't find anyone who has experienced this problem.

Problem: My Treo 650 automatically turns on, and I can't get it out of this state.

Background: When I turn off the 650 using the red Phone button, it turns off for ~1/2 a second, blinks on for ~1/2 a second, turns off for 10-15 seconds, and then turns back on. This sequence is automatic after pressing the red Phone button. This issue began yesterday, and I didn't install software or make any configuration changes immediately before. It just started suddenly.

Troubleshooting: I've tried numerous Soft, Warm, and Hard Resets, HotSynching in between. Soft reset has no effect-problem persists. Warm reset eliminates the problem, but also puts the 650 in a state where the phone won't turn on, and also where VersaMail won't work due to a missing "Net.lib" file. Hard reset has no overall effect: the issue is solved immediately after the Hard Resent, but when I HotSynch my data back the problem is back.

If you have ANY clues at all, I will be very grateful. THANKS! Happy New Year!
    Last edited by kcd; 01/01/2008 at 05:08 PM. Reason: update-problem is back again! and solved again...
    Are you in a weak signal area? The Treo will turn on when it loses or acquires a signal.

What if you turn the Phone off? (long press of the red button, ie, the Treo is on but the phone is disconnected from the network. Does this on-off still happen?

Try disabling network time (Prefs-Date and Time-Enable Local Network Time). Uncheck this option.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
  3. kcd
    Aloke: Thanks for the reply--I do appreciate it ! In response to your suggestions:
    1. I've had my Treo for ~15 months, and this is the first time this issue has occured, so I don't think it's the weak signal issue you suggested.
    2. Yes, this issue occurs whether the Phone is on or off (using red Phone button).
    3. I disabled the Network Time options as you suggested, still no luck.

It's odd that after a Warm Reset, the problem goes away, but I'm then unable to turn on the phone (using Red Phone button, or dialing a number and answering "Yes" when asked if I want to turn on the phone--nothing happens in either case). Also after a Warm Resent, VersaMail gives me an error that it can't find Net.lib. I've done some forum searching on that file (Net.lib) and can't find anything useful. Any ideas? Thanks again!!!
    Guessing Versafail is the culprit. You have it autosynching? Try turning it off and see if it makes a difference
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Warm reset is a very special situation, where most of the files are not loaded.. to allow the user to delete any culprit software. Even the phone is non-functional in this mode, as you noticed. (Aside: I wish Treo's had a "luke-warm" reset where everything would be disabled except the Phone part).

The problem is being caused by some software. My advise is to do the hard reset + reinstalls.

Update the firmware if don't already have the latest relesed firmware.

1. Rename the Backup folder under your Hotsync name on the PC.
    2. Do a hard (not warm) reset. This will erase all data from the Treo and make "like factory" condition.
    3. If the problem persists, suspect a hardware problem.
    4. Hotsync back to your original UserID. This will put your Contacts, Calendar, Tasks, and Memos back on the Treo.
    5. Use it for a few days. If no problems, install applications one at a time, always watching out for the symptoms of problems.

This way you'll identify the culprit and end up with a stable configuration.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
  6. kcd
    Problem solved (or at least it has gone away) ... thanks to EVERYONE who read my original post and especially to those who provided guidance.

I followed scottymomo's advise and began working with VersaMail. Upon deleting all emails (Inbox, Sent, Trash, etc.) and performing a Soft Reset, my Treo began working just fine. I've done a HotSynch and still no issues. So, I'm not sure what the root cause of the problem was, but at least my Treo is back to normal.

I've experienced a different problem 3 or 4 times since I've had my Treo (~16 months), which was also solved bydeleting all emails in VersaMail. Occassionallly, upon opening certain emails in VersaMail, my Treo will automatically perform a Soft Reset. There must be something embedded in certain emails that does this. To solve this issue, I download all my emails off the server via my desktop, and then delete all email on VersaMail. and then do a HotSynch--i.e., I get rid of the abberant email.

Not sure if these issues are related or not ...

Thanks again to everyone!
    Scotty is very wise.. "When in doubt, blame Versamail" is always good advice.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    LOL, that's why it's VersaFail right !?!?!

or WorsaMail

(I used to use Worsamail until I switched to Chatter. VM was ok for me.. not too many problems, but I was not a heavy user and I never had too many e-mails in VM)
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
  10. kcd
    Additional Info on this problem:

Another Treo user from another forum had the same problem, but his fix (corrupt MS Outlook contact) was completely different than mine (deleted all VersaMail emails). The "corruption" was a contact with a birth year of 2007. When he changed that birth year, his problem was solved. Reading through his experience reminds me of one additional point with my experience: My problem started around 1am New Year's Day, i.e., about half an hour after 2007 began. I know I was not having the problem around 10pm or so. So, I wonder if this may be some sort of "Year 2007" bug?
    It's a "beginning of the year" issue. It happened last year too

12. kcd
    Just like last year at New Year's, my Treo 650 automatically turns itself on. I turn it off, it goes off, it blinks on for 1/2 a second, and then 10-15 seconds later turns itself on for good. This behavior began at about 12:15am on January 1st, just like last year. So this issue must be some sort of New Year's bug.

I've tried the fix that apparently worked last year (deleting ALL emails from VersaMail), but this year that fix didn't work.

Anyone have any ideas on what is wrong and how to fix it? Thanks!
  13. kcd
    UPDATE: It appears I've solved this problem (at least I think I have). Since my original post, I read about someone solving a similar problem by changing any contact's birthdate from the current year to a prior year. So, I went through my Treo's Calendar, opened all the birthdates, and changed any birth year of 2006, 2007, and 2008 to the actual (prior ) birth year. I also turned off the alarm for the birthdate. Without even rebooting, the problem is solved. I hope I remember this fix next year!