1.    #1  
    Anyone had any luck pairing a Garmin nuvi 660 with a Treo 650 running Sprint 1.08-SPCS software? Mine connects, asks for and accepts password then promptly disconnects. The Treo 650 Sprint Updater 1.13 is available but doesn't mention support for Garmin - I don't want to install it unless someone knows for sure it works with the nuvi.
    I'm not sure if this will help (since I paired my Nuvi 660 with a Treo 680), but I only had success by initiating the pairing from the Treo, NOT from the 660. Did you try it that way? (Contrary to what is implied in the Nuvi's on-screen instructions).
  3.    #3  
    Thanks. Tried it from Treo. Get incoming calls but no icon on Nuvi so not able to make outgoing calls. I think I have to upgrade the software. Who is your service provider and what version software are you running?
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    The 650 bluetooth radio doesn't support the handsfree profile very well, only the headset profile. That means you need to initiate calls on the Treo. I have a Nuvi 360 and found that to be the case. The 680 bluetooth seems much better! When the Nuvi connects, a little earpiece displays on the Treo now and the address book downloads almost instantly. (from SIM contacts I think) I would update your Nuvi firmware and your Treo firmware and see if that helps. Nuvis rock btw, mine is my Ipod as well as car and in-pocket gps.
    Palm III -> Palm V -> Blue Palm Vx w/Omnisky -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680
    Start by deleting any profiles on the Treo & Nuvi for your headset - then start with the Treo discovering the Nuvi - go through the setup and indicate car kit.
    If you start off from scratch you should be good to go.
    nuvi 660 & the 680 work well together. 1 quirk i noticed though, with the treo display off, i dialed from the nuvi and the display on the 680 never lit, but it did dial & connect. The rub is that the volume was really low, once i hung up & dialed from the treo the volume came back up. weird.
    Visor Deluxe (Ice), Platinum (Black), Prism w/ Visor Fone, treo 270, treo 600, Unlocked GSM Pa1mOne branded treo 650, Palm branded Unlocked treo 680 (graphite), UBiQUiO 503g, & now HTC TyTNII TMO
    Quote Originally Posted by simdoc View Post
    Thanks. Tried it from Treo. Get incoming calls but no icon on Nuvi so not able to make outgoing calls. I think I have to upgrade the software. Who is your service provider and what version software are you running?
    I'd have to agree with what the others said. There is a chance that the 680 works better because it has more "advanced" bluetooth implemention. Notwithstanding, be sure to upgrade your Nuvi 660 to the latest firmware (I can't recall off the top of my head what it is, but I think it was released this past November). And it wouldn't hurt to upgrade your Treo's firmware as well.

Incidentally, I'm using it with Cingular for the time being, but I don't think that the provider matters in this case.
  8.    #8  
    You're all exactly right and I appreciate the suggestions. The latest nuvi 660 software version is 2.70 (Nov 2006). I spoke with Garmin tech support today and they recommended upgrading software (mine came installed with 2.70), discussing with Palm tech support (likely to say it is a software not hardware problem), discussing with mobile service provider (in my case Verizon whose tech support is even worse than Palms'). The Garmin tech support agent also offered to e-mail the other Garmin tech support staff to see if any of them have Treo 650s working successfully with nuvi 360s or 660s.
    Surprisingly they had no list of compatible Treo 650s "because there are so many different versions".
    Verizon is notorious for limiting bluetooth implementation in it's software - the latest version 1.05 supposedly addresses this but I haven't found specifics. Some Verizon customers have had to make custom ROMs including other drivers to get full bluetooth functionality. Sprint has been much better but I've been unable to ascertain if their latest version 1.13 has full nuvi functionality - I have version 1.08 and it doesn't. Not sure about Cingular but apparently they are keeping up as it works for you.
    Garmin could simply contact the mobile service providers and list which ones claim compatibility including the software version. Save alot of time and unhappines for customers and reduce returns - do ya think?
    I'll ask Verizon and Sprint tech support and see if I can get an answer from them.
  9.    #9  
    Did the experiment by upgrading to 1.13a. No better than 1.08 so don't waste your time.
    Quote Originally Posted by simdoc View Post
    Did the experiment by upgrading to 1.13a. No better than 1.08 so don't waste your time.
    It may not have helped your Nuvi, but it should have helped with other problems such as lag when dialing and better memory usage. When I went from 1.08 to 1.13a it was like I got a brand new Treo.
  11.    #11  
    Good point. I haven't added back all my programs yet so I'm not sure about lag and memory - looking into custom roms now. Have not heard back from Garmin tech support.
  12.    #12  
    Good news! Sprint 1.13a and the nuvi 660 software update (Ver. 3.20 as of Jan 15, 2007) pair well - the little phone icon stays on the nuvi and I can make outgoing calls from the nuvi now as well as voice activated calls from the Treo through the nuvi. Still can't download any contacts, either my entire list (crashes phone) or individually.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnH59 View Post
    It may not have helped your Nuvi, but it should have helped with other problems such as lag when dialing and better memory usage. When I went from 1.08 to 1.13a it was like I got a brand new Treo.
    Memory has increased almost 3M. Wasn't experiencing significant lag with 1.08 so can't coment on that.
    I have a Sprint Treo 650 w/ 1.13a and the Garmin Nuvi 660. Both firmwares are updated. My Treo screen goes blank and freezes just about everytime I pair the two. I get away with a phone call or two. I think that everytime I initiate from my treo it works but if the phone call is ended...say by the other person and I don't end the call on my Treo, it freezes. It's really aggravating since both of these tech devices are so expensive, are supposed to be compatible and are not!! If anyone can comment or help, drop a line...Thanks!!!
    so i've tried everything but i can't get my treo 680 and my nuvi 660 to pair. i fully updated the nuvi 660 and i believe the 680 is updated as well.

i try to connect from the phone and it "discovers" the nuvi and then when i say "ok" it immediately pops up an error on the treo that says: "Unable to connect to Nuvi #xxxxxxxx."

i have tried everything. deleted profiles, reset both devices, started the connection via the garmin...everything that other people have suggested. nothing, can't get them to pair up.

the garmin pairs INSTANTLY with my iphone so something must be going on with the treo.