Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Hey all, I'm contemplating a move back to the POS world having spent the last couple of years with a WM5 device. I synchronize all my PIM data with Outlook/Exchange, and I recall a big problem I had with my old Treo 600 was that the built-in contacts app had a very limited number of fields compared to what was availabe in Outlook. For example, a number of my contacts had 3 (or more) email addresses which - when combined with a few phone numbers - would never sync with Palm without eliminating some fields.

Has this been resolved in the current version of POS used with devices like the 700p/680, or do the same limitations still exist? I know there's probably 3rd party solutions like Beyond Contacts, but I'd much rather use the built-in apps if possible.

Thanks!!
    I can't answer your question directly.. but a 3rd party sync software (Pocketmirror) is considered more capable than most, and uses the standard Palm databases (not proprietary format). Their user manual is available for reading. Maybe you'll find some useful information in there ..

http://download.chapura.com/public_d...PMXTManual.pdf
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Thanks, although I don't believe the problem is with the synchronizing software. (plus, PocketMirror is what used to come standard with the Treo600's) The issue was that Outlook has around 70 contact fields, but the Palm contact app had only like a dozen or so. (I'm pulling those numbers out of the air, but the point is the same)

So if you had a contact in outlook with 4 phone numbers and 3 email addresses, it couldn't sync everything to Palm. You could sometimes manually work around it by stuffing some of those pieces of data into "Custom" fields on Palm, but even that wasn't really ideal.
    Right. Maybe Chapura addresses this in their product/documentation.

Firing up Palm's Desktop, I see records for Name, Contact (Phone # for work, home, mobile ,main, pager, other, and one e-mail), Address for Work, Home Other, lots of Custom fields, Birthday, and a Picture.

Only one e-mail address.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    No, you can have multiple emails. There are 5 fields, each of which can be assigned to phone numbers (home, work, main, mobile, other) or an email address. there are 3 (I think-I'm typing this in blazer and can't easily check) others that can be assigned to a URL, AIM, ICQ, etc.). You can of course, put a phone # in a URL field, but the treo won't recognize it as a ph# and won't display it as such for dialing purposes.

certainly not as many fields as outlook, but I have only a couple of contacts for which it's not enough. For those, I just set up 2: business and personal
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    There are 5 fields, each of which can be assigned to phone numbers (home, work, main, mobile, other) or an email address.
    Ok, I think that answers it then; unfortunately nothing has changed. For the most part, my Outlook contacts would migrate fine but I know there were a handful that had 6 or more numbers/emails. For example, if a contact has a work #, home #, cell #, fax # plus 2 email addresses - you'd be out of luck. (and that's not really a unusual scenario in today's connected world)

Yes, you can use the sync software to map the extras to the "custom" fields on Palm, but then the built-in apps won't recognize it as anything. (if an email address is in a custom field, for example, then email apps won't "notice" it when creating a new email to that person. Same thing for phone numbers when dialing or sending texts)

I never thought about creating a business and a personal for the same contact to split the data...

Thanks guys!
    If I may ask, why after all this time on WM are you coming back to Palm?
    In addition to the standard fields that were listed above, you can add additional ones. Just tried now and it looks like you can add two more emails or phone #'s (but not both). I don't know if these would be created automatically when you do the import though.

-Tim
    I too noticed the "mis-mappings" having just come from a WM5 device. I have lost the fields 'spouse' and 'children' aswell as 2nd and 3rd email addresses. I've had to manually re-key these into renamed custom fields but what happens if I go back to WM5?