1.    #1  
    Basically my father said he would pay for unlimited data, as long as he can confirm that i am making full use out of it, and for him that means using it for email. I have a gmail account set up and everything... but i need a way for him to know that the emails are coming from my treo that can't be easily replicated on a pc. Or at least seem like they cant be easily replicated. Help me stay on unlimited data plan! I use streaming audio so this is a must.
    now that is the funniest post that I have ever read... well that and the father who wanted to snoop on their child..

I am not sure if you can totally show that.. you can check the headers to see if it contains the senders ip address.. you can then compare that ip to yours..

you can also just email ur dad in front of him all the time
    "So long and thanks for all the Treos!"
    ok.. here u go... open the full headers of the email and look for the return ip address.

then on your treo, go to preferences and open network.. then click menu and select 'view log'... your ip on the treo should match... it did for me... when I just tested it (i use chatter email)

NOTE... the treo does not have a static ip address... your treo ip will renew every once in awhile.. so very old emails may not be able to match your current ip... take care.
    Quote Originally Posted by BabelFish View Post
    ok.. here u go... open the full headers of the email and look for the return ip address.

then on your treo, go to preferences and open network.. then click menu and select 'view log'... your ip on the treo should match... it did for me... when I just tested it (i use chatter email)

NOTE... the treo does not have a static ip address... your treo ip will renew every once in awhile.. so very old emails may not be able to match your current ip... take care.
    Good point. You could also check to see if the IP address does not match that of any of your desktop pcs...
    PIII,PIIIx,V,Vx,M505,M515,TT,T3,650,700p=>>iPhone
    There's more to life than technology....but not a whole lot more
  5.    #5  
    EDIT: just got technical sender info from a message i sent to my bluebottle account, but the IP is a gmail ip, not that of my cell phone. And i looked in gmail i dont see any way to look at any IP information.
    Last edited by Semaphore; 12/31/2006 at 08:25 PM.
  6.    #6  
    Looks like gmail hides the actual users IP. (can it even find incoming ips? i didnt see any options like that.) Is there any free email service that works easily with chattermail?
    your right... gmail appears to hide part of the email.. I sent an email from gmail to my yahoo account.. when I view full headers, I can see that part of the received from ip is missing...

when I send from my work account, I can view the entire ip in the headers...

there should be enough of the ip address to satisfy your father (unless he is anal)... by default you can't see full headers... look for a link on gmails web interface to show you full headers...
    Why not just give him access to your account so he can check the usage on the data plan? On top of it, you can email him 30 times a day while you're out and about. He'll get the point. If that still doesn't work, take picture of yourself in various locations and mail them to him through out the day. He could also just trust you for $25 a month.
    and the sending of the pictures will use more of the features that he is paying for.. (Picture Mail) I like that
    Hey, lets not all jump on dad! He is actually willing to pay as long as the Treo is not just an iPod or just a phone. I say that is a pretty good deal. Don't drive him too crazy or he could just decide not to pay for anything. I would recommend the occasional email. Also, if you get a program that tracks your data use you could send him a snap shot every once in a while.

He is already doing more than what I would have done. I would have said, "get a job, and pay for it yourself".
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    Quote Originally Posted by Semaphore View Post
    Basically my father said he would pay for unlimited data, as long as he can confirm that i am making full use out of it, and for him that means using it for email. I have a gmail account set up and everything... but i need a way for him to know that the emails are coming from my treo that can't be easily replicated on a pc. Or at least seem like they cant be easily replicated. Help me stay on unlimited data plan! I use streaming audio so this is a must.
    This idea might be silly, but why not just include a custom signature in the email app you use on the Treo and say something like this "This email, sent from a Palm Treo".

I have a custom signature in Versamail (and a different one on my desktop email app) so i know from which platform (desktop or Treo) i sent someone an email or a reply.

Might give it a try.
    Global Posts
    441 Global Posts
    Why not just type in lower case letters and have plenty of spelling errors?
    I like the data usage prog idea.. does anyone have any suggestions on an app like that (prefer free) I would be curious how much I use.
    Quote Originally Posted by wbwjr View Post
    Why not just type in lower case letters and have plenty of spelling errors?
    ha! love it.

and if you use keycaps, have random capiTal letters in the midDle of words.
    I like the data usage prog idea.. does anyone have any suggestions on an app like that (prefer free) I would be curious how much I use.

Not entirely sure, but I do believe if you sign up for online billing, he can check your minutes usage. Maybe that wouldn't account for data if it's an unlimited plan though.
    The way gmail is setup you don't need sprint's out going mail server. But a regular POP account needs to use sprint's smtp server, which is more than enough proof from the email header.

Or you can just use gmail in front of him.
    I have used these two in the past with the 600 and 650. Minutes Plus is free. But I don't know if it will work with the 700P. TrafficStat says that it works with the 700P. $14.95.
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    Set up a signature line for outgoing emails, saying "Sent from son's Treo."