1.    #1  
    I'd like to settle this matter once and for all. I get divergent viewpoints from different threads. I'm pondering picking up a 680 today to attempt it one more time. Here's the question:

Is it true that once the 680 is connected to the data service voice calls go straight to voicemail? If so, does the data service stay connected until physically disconnected by the user?

I ask this because it suggests that if I checked my email and forgot to disconnect the data, I'll likely miss my calls.

Thanks.
    David
    its going to stay conflicting i think! your network should tell the phone to stop transmitting data and pause while you take a call..i can't get it do do this.

the only way around this is to buy a UMTS phone for cingular and use their 3g data, which works at the same times as voice gsm.
  3.    #3  
    Well, I have to spend my professional development allowance provided by my work by the end of today (12/31). I decided to try a 680 again. But given this data issue (one I do not have with my HTC P3600) and after reading another thread that the battery life issue is ongoing, I'll forego that plan.

It is unfortunate. The 680 is a nice looking device, but I do not have the time to do hocus pocus stuff to get my battery to last for a day. I'm a professional doing real work. Having to do that sort of thing is just pointless.

I wish the diehards good luck in your quest to figure out this one. I hope Palm gets to fixing this.
    David
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Hmm, I wasn't aware of this. All previous GSM Treos were able to interrupt an active data session for an incoming call. (isn't that how Class 10 GSM radios are supposed to work??)

My mom just got a 680, I'll have to test this next time I see her.
    please test it and let us know...
    The 680 works just like my GSM 650. When actively downloading data, calls will likely go to VM but just keeping the data connection open (as Chatteremail does) doesn't send calls to VM. The old Verizon 650 sent most all calls to VM (which is why I switched to GSM).
    I just tried a test. I had it sync my Yahoo mail to Versamail and dialed my Treo from my home phone while pulling down email and it rolled to voicemail. I tried this 3 times and got the same result. As soon as it was finished pulling down email it would ring as normal.

It did, however, ring while connected to GPRS, so you don't have to disconnect to get incoming calls. Apparently, you just can't be downloading anything. I have Cingular Wireless. I hope either Cingular or Palm fixes this (not sure where the problem exists).
    okay..so if you are actively downloading or streaming music it goes to voicemail.
    if you are just connected it does what it is supposed to do and let it ring.
    that is correct...also..here is a link to some other people having a similar problem

http://forum.kinoma.com/archive/index.php/t-1251.html
    That sucks, In my voicemail message, ill have to alert everyone to send a page to my phone.
  11.    #11  
    Well, it's good that calls get through when GPRS/EDGE is idle. Now as soon as the battery issue is addressed, I'll try the 680. Actually, I just may try it with a second battery.

Thanks for your comments everyone.
    David
    This has nothing to do with the Treo. It has to do with GSM technology. This is how GSM technology works. If your phone is transmitting data, then voice calls go to voicemail. It has always been like this. The Treo 680 works the same as all previous GSM treos in this respect.
    My battery is working wonderfully after the 2 initial deep cycle discharges. No complaints at all. I get through my entire day without the need to top off the battery and usually have at least 40% left.

Also as mentioned in the last answer, although when actually transmitting data your calls may goto voicemail, the notification that you have voicemail gets through as it's fed in during the pauses between data packets. Unless you walk around streaming media with your phone, it's not really much of a problem. Email gets only last for 5 to 10 seconds anyway. And if you do walk around streaming media, this phone is definitely not for you since you will have a battery issue.
    And if you do walk around streaming media, this phone is definitely not for you since you will have a battery issue.
    LOL...the data not getting interrupted for incoming calls and battery power are the only 2 problems I have with this phone. Otherwise, I think this is one of the best smart phones out there...even more so for the money.

As far as the data interrupt problem with it being a GSM issue...is this something the service provider can fix...or is it more to do with the GSM implementation itself (i.e. just not possible)?
    Quote Originally Posted by bondr View Post
    LOL...the data not getting interrupted for incoming calls and battery power are the only 2 problems I have with this phone. Otherwise, I think this is one of the best smart phones out there...even more so for the money.

As far as the data interrupt problem with it being a GSM issue...is this something the service provider can fix...or is it more to do with the GSM implementation itself (i.e. just not possible)?
    as post #12 says, this is a GSM 'feature'. It has to do with the implementation of GSM itself.
    as post #12 says, this is a GSM 'feature'. It has to do with the implementation of GSM itself.
    yeah..i knew that...but I did not know if the provider could provide the class of GPRS that would allow the pause

there is a GSM/GPRS class that allows for a pause

http://www.newlc.com/GPRS-Class-overview.html
    I believe it is class B, which allows for the data connection to be interrupted for the voice call. This is what happens on the 680 unless you are actively transferring data whenthe request for a voice connection occurs.
    thanks jaytee....i see where my confusion was at...i was thinking of interrupt as interrupting the data transfer...not the connection...makes sense now...