Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm putting out a good-natured challenge for anyone to prove me wrong about this...

Palm seems to have silently dropped the capability to use a *wired* GPS unit with the 700p. Seido makes this claim on their website, and I have noticed it in practice.

In fact, I think the 1.05a Verizon ROM update that Palm recently released for the 650 *also* disabled wired GPS capability.

If I plug my wired GPS unit into my 700p (using converter cables from pcables.com), all I get is frequent very brief flashes of the message "Cleaning up DUN connection", and TomTom reports "No GPS device". Other programs that show serial data traffic, like Quo Vadis, now show no activity at all. (Same applies to the 650 with the 1.05a ROM.) On the 650 prior to installing ROM 1.05a, I was able to use TomTom Navigator 5 flawlessly, and Quo Vadis showed a nice steady stream of GPS data coming across the serial port.

Although I'm disappointed at no longer being able to use a perfectly capable and reliable wired GPS, it bothers me more that Palm made no announcement whatsoever that its newer firmware would no longer support this arrangement.
    -- Kevin Andrew Lipscomb
    -- http://kal.webhop.net
    If true, this really s***s. I rarely use my BT GPS. When I get in the car I usually just plop the 650 into the cradle, with wired GPS attached. If I need GPS I simply run TT.

Tell me this is not true.
  3.    #3  
    sblanter, let me ask you: Who is your service provider, and what ROM version are you running?

I did the same as you and loved it -- until I installed the Verizon 1.05a update. Stupid me, I thought upgrading to the 700p would solve the problem, but no.

Here's the page where Seido claims that the 700p does not support wired GPS, period:

http://www.seidioonline.com/index.as...ROD&ProdID=291
    -- Kevin Andrew Lipscomb
    Wait a minute. It looks like it might be indicating that the Seidio model itself doesn't support wired GPS.

Sprint 1.13
    bump
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by sblanter View Post
    Wait a minute. It looks like it might be indicating that the Seidio model itself doesn't support wired GPS.
    You may be right. Since I posted that, I've found other references claiming that the Seido G4850 *does* support the 700p.

But if that's the case, I'm left to wonder why my legacy wired GPS, which worked fine on my 650 (prior to the Vzw 1.0a ROm update), does not work on my 700p.

I think I'll hop over to Shadowmite's site and pose this question there.
    -- Kevin Andrew Lipscomb
    At one time Seidio claimed that their car cradles built for the 650 were not compatible with the 700p, and that they would design ones that would be.

I use a Seidio cradle with wired GPS for a 650. I figured if I went for a 700p I'd just have to break down and purchase a new cradle from them (with wired GPS).

Love having a BT GPS for on the go, away from the vehicle, but I don't want to give up on the wired GPS for instant on and no fuss with anything except having to plop the phone in the cradle (which I almost always do anyway) and launching TT. I am spoiled!
    It is possible that it could also be your software. I dont know what version of TT you are using , but there were issues with TT5 and the treo so they came out with a patch to the software. In fact I know someone who is still trying to get it to work with his verizon 700p. Just for heck of it.Download mapopolis version 2.35 It's free andit works with wired and bluetooth. Try it with a demo map. If it works the troubleisyour software. If it dosent work then the trouble is your cradle
    I have the Seidio G4850M that I used with the 650 (Sprint). When I was forced to upgrade to the 700P I was expecting no problems with the TomTom5/Seido use, but I found that the units work together but I lost the use of the speaker in the Seidio. So it still works, although a little buggy, but I just need to use the speaker on the treo instead. Not as loud, but usable. I confirmed all this with the Seidio help desk. For whatever reason the Seidio can't handle something with the Treo 700P.
    At one time Seidio claimed that their car cradles built for the 650 were not compatible with the 700p, and that they would design ones that would be.

I use a Seidio cradle with wired GPS for a 650. I figured if I went for a 700p I'd just have to break down and purchase a new cradle from them (with wired GPS).

Love having a BT GPS for on the go, away from the vehicle, but I don't want to give up on the wired GPS for instant on and no fuss with anything except having to plop the phone in the cradle (which I almost always do anyway) and launching TT. I am spoiled!

In fact, cradles made for the 650 did not work with the 700p. I had to purchase a new cradle, and gave my old one to one of my sons. The cradle I currently have constitutes a 'wired' GPS connection, and works beautifully.

John
    John,

That's good to hear. I had already resigned myself to the fact that I have to buy a new cradle. As long as I can maitain the same functionality (GPS wise).

Do they make a model where the speaker actually works?
    John,

That's good to hear. I had already resigned myself to the fact that I have to buy a new cradle. As long as I can maitain the same functionality (GPS wise).

Do they make a model where the speaker actually works?
    Just checked, and I have a G4850T. Built in speaker works, but obviously the quality isn't as good as through my car audio, so I don't use it normally.

John
  13.    #13  
    Now that I've heard from you guys who have had success, I'm inclined to believe it's my software. I'll revert to virgin RAM and start recovering apps one by one until I find the problem. Scratch another weekend!

On further inspection, it looks like the Seido G4850T (note the "T") is advertised to be fully compatible with the 700p.
    -- Kevin Andrew Lipscomb
    When looking for Bluetooth cables on Sempsons.com, I noticed the following:

*Treo 700w does not support serial function
    It appears Palm dropped the needed functionality from the 700Ps hardware...
    Quote Originally Posted by Zath View Post
    When looking for Bluetooth cables on Sempsons.com, I noticed the following:
    700w does not support serial

It appears Palm dropped the needed functionality from the 700Ps hardware...
    This page specifically says that 700p works with the cables listed.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnhboyd View Post
    This page specifically says that 700p works with the cables listed.
    My bad. Confused my P's and W's.

That hawwens phen I don't way close attention to what I'm doing..
    Quote Originally Posted by Zath View Post
    My bad. Confused my P's and W's.

That hawwens phen I don't way close attention to what I'm doing..
    That is called Fingers Faster than Brain. (I suffer from CRS - Can't Remember S***)
  18.    #18  
    Now my 700p and my G4850T *are* working together. The only thing that I changed that I think is potentially relevant is that I upgraded my PdaNet to 4.10. I think that may be relevant because PdaNet operates through the serial port.
    -- Kevin Andrew Lipscomb
  19.    #19  
    Forgot to mention, I'm still on VZW-1.06 ROM.
    -- Kevin Andrew Lipscomb
    Can anyone tell me what models use serial GPS?
    6b 6f 63 6f 6d 61 6e 20 6f 66 20 63 64 6d 61 2d 64 65 76 2d 74 65 61 6d
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast