Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Just got a treo 680 for xmas. Looking to use data plan but here in Canada we're still paying these outrageous data prices. I'm on a $12.00/mo 1 mb data plan.

But, I checked my email once and download only 13 HEADERS and smaato cost shows me using 40 kbs. That seems high for just headers. Is it accurate and is that what I will be billed for, or does it also include the data my device sends out to "call" for the email check (which I assume I wouldn't be billed for).

I'm just wanting to know if I'm actually using less data than the program shows (at 40 kbs per check 1 mb won't be enough).

Thx.
    I feel your pain! I'm with Fido and pay $5 for 500Kb (they don't offer this anymore) so I really have to watch my usage. I use TrafficStat to keep track of my data usage. I've been using it with my Treo 600 and its reports were exact down to the Kb ... basically the same number showed in TrafficStat as it did on my Fido bill. And yes, they will count the uploaded data as well.

Mind you, some ppl have been reporting that TrafficStat is not very accurate on the Treo 680 so I'm waiting for my first bill to cross reference the numbers.
  3.    #3  
    Thnks for the info Bulishor

How much email do you manage to download and how often do you check?

It's absolutely pathetic that we don't have unlimited data here.
    Unlimited?? I'd be happy with reasonable rates that are not these 'highway robbery', Rogerized rates! I was paying a quarter of this price in Europe on a pay-as-you-go account. Sorry, this always gets me going...

I only check email every now and then, but I don't remember using more than 1Kb per header, if that. I mostly use the data for instant messaging which brings it to a fraction of what you'd pay if you used their instant messaging. Damn, I better keep this quiet... they might Rogerize this too!
    I dunno how you keep data usage low if you're doing significant email OTA. Unless your company is paying for it (or you are personally wealthy), it's going to be painful.

I also have a small data plan so I use the network in a low-bandwidth mode. I use the following apps to help out:
    • Directory Assistant to look up addresses and phone numbers on yp.com
    • netClock to synchronize my Palm's clock against a network (atomic) clock
    • Flight Status to get, well, flight status
    • Google SMS to get a host of information using Google's neat-o SMS-based query service. This uses no data at all against your plan, but does count against your SMS usage (typically much cheaper than the corresponding data use).

I don't know what carrier you are using, but I'm surprised you're paying $12 for just 1 MB. I'm on Rogers and have subscribed to their "$5 Navigate Mobile Internet Plan" which gets you 2 MB. The plan is discounted to $3.33 if you add it to an existing value pack.

Also, I used TrafficStat on my 650 but didn't get it to work on my 680 until I read a tip (here, I think) that you need to lock it into RAM (using Resco Locker). After I did that, it works fine. YMMV.
    Last edited by PatrickS; 12/31/2006 at 03:01 AM. Reason: Added Google SMS
  6.    #6  
    I'm with fido, and their data plans have gone up in price since being acquired by Rogers.

I was just browsing the Fido website and i see that they're announcing price increases on call display and all the additional features. What a rip.

I will see if I can get fido to match rogers' 2 mb $5 option since that's a good deal that I could mange to get by on (I'm locked into a contract for 1 more year).

Not keen to switch to rogers, however, since they don't have per second billing for consumers (although I think they do on their corporate plans).
    Jesus. Even just checking wap site for movie will excess the 1MB limit.

You know using Spring and pay for data roaming in Canada cost less than that.
    Fido does offer a 'Surf, play and download' feature for $5 which is 2 Mb which is their so called WAP. I found out about it two days ago and I've trying to see if it works for what I need: POP mail, little web browsing and instant messaging. Fido gave me the settings (APN, password, username) and I'm able to connect but I cant' seem to download anything, access website etc. Of course, they told me off the bat that they won't help me with troubleshooting since it's not a Fido phone. I made sure the service is enabled by putting my SIM into a Fido phone and it worked. So it must be some settings that I haven't figured out yet. If anybody got this to work with their Treo, please help me out! Your help is appreciated
    I was never so happy to be on T-Mobile and have the TZones plan. Unlimited email for $5.99/month, no data limit. Of course they'll make a stink if you are consistantly using 100MB of data per month or more, probably make you buy a data plan for $30/month. But other than that, TZones gets it done!
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickS View Post
    Also, I used TrafficStat on my 650 but didn't get it to work on my 680 until I read a tip (here, I think) that you need to lock it into RAM (using Resco Locker). After I did that, it works fine. YMMV.
    TrafficStat causes a reset loop on my 680 even if I lock it with Resco Locker.
    Wow...I guess my Unlimited Data + 200 SMS/MMS for $19.99 with Cingular is a pretty good deal.

But then again, I pay $375/month for my health coverage, which I think you don't have to pay anything for.
    If you have a wap plan, the chance is it will have a port open which you have to set on your browser. You may also put in the proxy server address, just like the TMobile T-Zone service.

I find it amazing that China has very cheap per MB data plan and reasonable unlimited data plan but Canada does not.
    Quote Originally Posted by usskaos1 View Post
    TrafficStat causes a reset loop on my 680 even if I lock it with Resco Locker.
    Try turning off the "Activate After Reset" preference.
    We get better health care because we pay higher taxes... but our wireless companies are just raping us with their rates.

I finally managed to get WAP working... the CSR 'forgot' to mention the need for a proxy or what that IP would be. Anyway, web browsing seems to work but any other programs such as Verichat, DirAssist, Causerie do not work. I would have thought that if they work with T-zones they would work with the Fido wap as well. No such luck. I haven't read enough about the ports that are open or that are required but I know I left the proxy port on 80 and it works.

At this point I'm considering keeping both plans - use WAP for browsing and internet for the rest but if anyone can help me get the IM programs working I'll gladly get rid of the internet (whopping 500Kb).
    No it doesn't work for T Zone either (any app that doesn't support proxy.)
    I think you mean "free" health care, not "better" (even if you do pay for it through higher taxes - nothing is free). Correct?
  17.    #17  
    Bulishor,

I will try fido's wap since that seems to be the most economical. Can you use webmail with the wap and what is the data consumption like?
    So Versamail is not going to work through Fido's wap.fido.ca APN then?
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    No it doesn't work for T Zone either (any app that doesn't support proxy.)
    FYI

The T-zones port blocks has been GONE for at least a month now and there is no need for the proxy settings at all. (for the moment at least). Been travelling the US and it's a nationwide thing so hopefully it's permanent.

Anyway, that means full unlimited access for $5.99/month. whoppee....
    Quote Originally Posted by bigcatny View Post
    FYI

The T-zones port blocks has been GONE for at least a month now and there is no need for the proxy settings at all. (for the moment at least). Been travelling the US and it's a nationwide thing so hopefully it's permanent.

Anyway, that means full unlimited access for $5.99/month. whoppee....

I just realized that myself. I installed Ringo Pro and was able to get to their website for some free ringtones. No setup at all. Then I tried going to some other places such as CNN and ESPN, and it WORKED!!! My guess is that they are revamping their networks for some new services. They paid almost $4 billiion to the FCC for some added bandwith/frequencies, guess they have to put it to some use. But until then, whoo-hooo!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast