1.    #1  
    Is there a phone program out there that will allow me to assign a mp3/ringtone for callers?

I looked through some of the stickies and didnt find anything off the bat.

Any info will be helpful.
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elrodvoss View Post
    Is there a phone program out there that will allow me to assign a mp3/ringtone for callers?

I looked through some of the stickies and didnt find anything off the bat.

Any info will be helpful.
    mRing is one. Ive only used it a bit but it works fine. I dont think there is any similar freeware, mRing is $20, probably as cheap as it gets for this function.
    Quote Originally Posted by from another thread
    MiniTones lets you clip portions of MP3s into ringtones. Free, fast, no additional software required.
    Mals
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    Minitones is great for exxpanding the phones inbuilt library of ringtones with your own (I use it myself) but it doesnt allow you to assign any of those ringtones to individual callers.

But there is one pref in the inbuilt phone application that allows you to have one tone for an incoming call that matches someone in your contacts list, and another for those that dont.
    TRGeOFF,

I have Minitones on my Treo 680 and have easily set up individual ringtones as well as categorical ringtones.

the individual ringtones were set up via the edit of individual contacts records, while the categorical ringtones were set up by editing categories of contacts.
    The roaming ringtone was set up in preferences.
    This PRE is MINE all MINE! But if you ask nice I might let you hold it!
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Forgewizard View Post
    TRGeOFF,

I have Minitones on my Treo 680 and have easily set up individual ringtones as well as categorical ringtones.

the individual ringtones were set up via the edit of individual contacts records, while the categorical ringtones were set up by editing categories of contacts.
    The roaming ringtone was set up in preferences.
    Most interesting! Is this feature specific to the 680? I cant see how to do it on my 650.

cheers

geoff
    Quote Originally Posted by TRgEOff View Post
    Most interesting! Is this feature specific to the 680? I cant see how to do it on my 650.
    IF you're asking about individual ringtones, you have to edit the favorites button at the bottom of the phone application to assign a ring tone.

I don't see anyway on the 650 to assign a ringtone to categories of callers either...

Mals
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Malstorme View Post
    IF you're asking about individual ringtones, you have to edit the favorites button at the bottom of the phone application to assign a ring tone.
    Mals
    Thanks, thats really neat!!

I never use speed dialing, so I had never seen that feature to assign ringtones. So with Minitones and inbuilt Palm features, you are indeed set up for free!
    If you really need mp3 playback (rather than midi or the other format.. MNR?) and want to assign a ring to a category, Ringo works great for me on the 650.
    I recomend Ringo over mRing. I had a problem with mRing where it would cause my phone to have slight lag while ringing/answering calls that was really annoying.