Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I bought one for $305USD ($350CAD) from the eBay seller: htccan(Handheld Technologies Canada) on 11/23

eBay item: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=220051442176

Since the seller sold out all 75 items, so I think there maybe some buyers in this forum.

"If you are the one, do you receive your item or shipping tracking number? even any email confirmation?"

I don't got either one above.

Although the seller promise he will send it before 1/15/2007, but who knows, if he don't ship our items at that date, we will also become overdue to escalate our complain to PayPal, because PayPal only accept complain within 45 days.

Any same buyers here? or any suggestion?
    Thanks a lot!
    i was going to get one or two from the seller but his/her price was alot cheaper compare to retail and other seller which made me wonder. and i want my treo 2006, not 2007. End up buying from other seller.

Anyway, 100% feedback i guest you don't have to worry too much.
    Actaully this guy is violating several of eBay policies.

Sellers cannot list items that they do not have in stock and cannot ship. They are also not allowed to require prepayment for an item before shipping. In this case, the seller is demanding $350 up front payment and cannot ship the item till the middle of January?

His return policy is also kind of strange. He only accepts returns if the item is not as described. What if your phone doesn't work out of the box, or if you have a problem in a month? What happens if his phone shipments never arrive, or he can't get them. Seems kind of fishy to me, his 100% feedback rating notwithstanding. He has had some problems in the past if you read through them.

I notice the auction ended on November 23rd. So any PayPal complaints would need to be filed by January 7th or 8th. So if you're not supposed to get the phone till January 15th, you are not protected by PayPal's buyer protection. (Also, as an FYI, PayPal buyer protection is not valid on international sales. So if you're in the US and you purchased one, you most likely are SOL on that end.)

I've been on eBay for over 10 years, and would never do business with someone like this.

Last edited by ivhs72; 12/30/2006 at 01:35 PM.
  4.    #4  
    Hi ivhs72,

Thanks for your feedback, but you let me wonder more, especially the wording "PayPal buyer protection is not valid on international sales", is it true? seems there are so many international saling on eBay using PayPal, do you have a link for information about this?
    Thank you anyway.
    i would ask for a refund, but at that price it would be good. If you can wait until the 15th tell him, you are more than willing to wait for the phone, but you want a refund and will resend the money when he is ready to ship. You can remind him that he is in violation of ebay's terms of selling something you dont' have. I see no reason not to be patient for 2 more weeks, but you are right about the timelimits...
    oh, but i love my treo! what color were you getting?
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyangler View Post
    Hi ivhs72,

Thanks for your feedback, but you let me wonder more, especially the wording "PayPal buyer protection is not valid on international sales", is it true? seems there are so many international saling on eBay using PayPal, do you have a link for information about this?
    Thank you anyway.

I made a slight error on that. Buyer protection is only available to sellers in the US, UK or Canada who ship to confirmed addresses in those countries. Here is the quote from the PayPal website:

"As a World Seller, PayPal will offer protection for eligible SPP (Seller Protection Policy) transactions to Canada and U.K. buyers with a confirmed address. These transactions must meet the established PayPal seller protection criteria found at Seller Protection Policy on the PayPal website."

The person selling must be a World Wide seller, and qualify as such. The requirements are pretty tight.

Here is another quote from them, when I entered a search query for "buyer protection international sales" :

Q: Does the Buyer Complaint process cover disputes if I buy from a non-U.S. PayPal member?

A: At this time, we are unable to offer additional protections for transactions with our non-U.S. members. However, if you encounter a problem, please file a claim and we will investigate on your behalf.

Here is another interesting quote:

Q: What is the difference between the Buyer Complaint Process and PayPal Buyer Protection?

A: When a dispute is escalated to a claim, PayPal determines which protection coverage applies and processes the claim accordingly.

1)Buyer Complaint Process: Helps protect PayPal members by covering non-delivery of items and items that are significantly not as described. PayPal's Buyer Complaint Policy applies only to payments for tangible, physical goods that can be shipped. It does not apply to intangibles, services, quasi-cash non-physical goods or licenses and other access to digital content.

2)PayPal Buyer Protection: An extension of PayPal's Buyer Complaint Process. Under PayPal Buyer Protection, when you pay with PayPal to pay for a qualified listing on eBay.at, eBay.be, eBay.ca, eBay.ch, eBay.com, eBay.com.au, eBay.co.uk, eBay.de, eBay.es, eBay.fr, eBay.ie, eBay.it, or eBay.nl, you are eligible for up to $1,000.00 USD of coverage at no additional cost.

Kind of confusing, I admit. But in the past I have sold and purchased internationally, and have received a notice in the PayPal receipt that listed whether or not the item was covered under their protection policy. I cannot remember a case where a sale was covered.

8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by scoop_dtx View Post
    oh, but i love my treo! what color were you getting?
    Hi Scoop_dtx,
    Thank you, I bought graphite.
    Do you also bought from him?
  9.    #9  
    Thanks ivhs72 for your friendly help, I understand that.
    Thanks ivhs72 for your friendly help, I understand that.
    No problem. Ebay is such a good place for buying and selling, but there are people looking to scam other people. My experiences have been mostly positive, but there were a few deals that I had some problems with. Hope everything works out for everyone on this deal.

11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72 View Post
    No problem. Ebay is such a good place for buying and selling, but there are people looking to scam other people. My experiences have been mostly positive, but there were a few deals that I had some problems with. Hope everything works out for everyone on this deal.

I sent several mail to the seller without answer, To protect myselfI already issued a complain to Paypal in the last day of 45 days issue period, but still no answer, seems Paypal simply sent mail to seller, what can I do next?
    Any suggestion is welcome.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    I sent several mail to the seller without answer, To protect myselfI already issued a complain to Paypal in the last day of 45 days issue period, but still no answer, seems Paypal simply sent mail to seller, what can I do next?
    IMO, it looks too good to be true. I'd rather buy it in a store where I can have peace of mind that I've gotten the device (in hand) and not wondering where my money have gone if I haven't received the item. And plus, it won't be much of a hassle returning/exchanging it if there was something wrong with the device.
    Sony Clie N610C Sony Clie N710C Sony Clie UX50 Palm Tungsten T|5 Locked Cingular Treo 650 Locked Cingular Treo 680
    "You see, Netherlands is this make-believe place where Peter Pan and Tinkerbell come from." - Joey Tribbiani
    You should have gotten an email from them explaining the process. You can go to your PayPal account page, there is link there for disputes. What PayPal does is open an inquiry with the seller. He must prove that he sent you the item and show them that proof. It must some sort of certifed mail or insured label, not just a receipt or saying "I sent it". If he doesn't respond (I'm not sure how long he has), they will freeze his account, and try to refund your purchase price to you. If he doesn't have enough in his account to pay you, then you can go through their buyer protection program. As I found out, it only works in the US, UK and Canada with verified addresses. It may take some time, but you stand a good chance of getting your money back since you filed in time. Also, if you paid with a credit card through PayPal, dispute the charges on the card with the card holder as well.

14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72 View Post
    You should have gotten an email from them explaining the process. You can go to your PayPal account page, there is link there for disputes. What PayPal does is open an inquiry with the seller. He must prove that he sent you the item and show them that proof. It must some sort of certifed mail or insured label, not just a receipt or saying "I sent it". If he doesn't respond (I'm not sure how long he has), they will freeze his account, and try to refund your purchase price to you. If he doesn't have enough in his account to pay you, then you can go through their buyer protection program. As I found out, it only works in the US, UK and Canada with verified addresses. It may take some time, but you stand a good chance of getting your money back since you filed in time. Also, if you paid with a credit card through PayPal, dispute the charges on the card with the card holder as well.

Hi Ivhs72,

Thanks a lot for your experiencd suggestion.
    Another thing to consider is feedback. If he has dropped off the face of the earth and is not corresponding with you, you can leave neg feedback for him. He currently has a 100% rating which means that no one has left any for him (actually one did, but they "mutally agreed" to withdraw it). Sometimes that is the only way to get someones attention. I use it as a last resort in my dealings, but sometimes after leaving one, others start chiming in as well, sort of like they were waiting for someone to break the ice.

Also, if enough people file against him via PayPal, or via eBay complaint system, his account will be suspended. I mention eBay because if you didn't pay via PayPal, they have a way to take action against him. It's in the dispute console. File an "Item not received or as described" thing, and go from there.

Good luck

16.    #16  
    Thanks, still no Paypal complain feedback for the seller.
    I am thinking give him a negative feedback, but I found he didn't sale anything more. So maybe he has forgive this eBay account and don't care about the feedback. Use 186 point 100% feedback to cheat 35K USD (he already sold 108 Treo 680 + 1 Treo 750 preorders) is not a bad deal.
    Still many buyers may not know they already due the 45 complain period like me and let the seller get the money and run away.
    Quote Originally Posted by 500mL View Post
    IMO, it looks too good to be true. I'd rather buy it in a store where I can have peace of mind that I've gotten the device (in hand) and not wondering where my money have gone if I haven't received the item. And plus, it won't be much of a hassle returning/exchanging it if there was something wrong with the device.
    Totally agree with that. A device with a price of over $200 should always be put in hand. I hope this works out for you.
  18.    #18  
    Finally, proven this seller is a thief, he sold more than 150 Treo 680 and never ship anybody after the due date on Jan. 15, 2007.

Who can believe a eBayer with 100% feedback on 186 points(decreased after some negative feedbacks) is a thief!

He already got some negative feedback.
    http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAP...:feedback:2:us

Many buyers missed the due date to issue a Paypal dispute within 45 days and has less chance to get their money back, poor.
    i notice he replied some of the negative feedbacks... did he get back to you? or you got your $ back?
  20.    #20  
    Before the due date on Jan. 15, he replied that the item will be shipped by Jan. 15, after due date he didn't reply any negative feedbacks.

Because I understood the 45 days limitation and I failed to get contact with the seller by many attempts, I created a Paypal dispute on Jan. 5 to protect myself in case he will never ship my item, and escalated to a claim on Jan. 8 due to the seller didn't respond me anything for 2 weeks, he refunded me on Jan. 12. I think that's due to he want to get the money for his 2nd preorders, he can't request the money before resolving my claim.

I think I am lucky, I initiated the thread on Dec. 30 to find other buyers on this forum because the 45 days Paypal limitation but didn't find anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by shwicf View Post
    i notice he replied some of the negative feedbacks... did he get back to you? or you got your $ back?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast