1.    #1  
    www.dslreports.com/mspeed

i did the 200k test
    125 kbit/sec

.898s latency
    13.653s download time

is that okay?

i'm on tmobile with edge ( i think edge!)
    Last edited by scoop_dtx; 12/29/2006 at 09:22 PM. Reason: forgot download time
    Sounds about right, although I was thinking the EDGE radio in the 680 was a higher class than the 650..

You really won't see more than 140kbit out of EDGE. Latency of .7-1s is nominal as well.
    200k Test w/ Cingular:

123 kbit/sec
    3.017s latency
    15.988 s d/l
    200k w/Cingular

139kbit/sec

1.19s latency
    12.552s d/l

199 kbit/sec

1.216s latency
    9.244s d/l
  5.    #5  
    i download faster than my friends 650 on SPRINT....i thought he was way faster! he won't even use his browser for stuff...he made me try his Directory Assist program...why would i do that when google.com/pda works very fast!
    So 22 kbit/sec is bad???
  7.    #7  
    that' s what it felt like i had on the tmobile mda....edge icon lit up and all, but just to load google.com/pda took days!

are you really getting 22kbit/sec?
    what network are you on? Isn't regular gprs faster than that?
    The last test I ran was up to 30. I'm on Dobson Cellular network.
    Quote Originally Posted by zwizard View Post
    The last test I ran was up to 30. I'm on Dobson Cellular network.
    Dobson...do they support EDGE? 22 and/or 30 kbit/sec is pretty poor. At home here in Northern California with three-five bars I get 150-160 kbit/sec with Cingular.
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...680/200kSp.jpg
    T-Mobile VPN 200k test

141 kbit/sec

1.064s latency
    12.303s d/l time
    Dobson is supposed to have EDGE. Is there a way for me to tell if I'm connected via EDGE?
    My results:

I had to do the 100k test because the two prior came back
    "unstable/too fast a result please choose a larger file"

so the 100k test showed

162kbit//sec

2.25s latency
    6.557s d/l time

now, can someone please explain these results for me?

I was rather happy that I was able to access the web from the house with this device as before I could not on the 6 previous devices! Sure I had to hold the device over my head to gain a full set of signal bars and get the green arrows but at least it worked!

What happened to the "disconnect" menu option?
    I had to go to preferences to disconnect!
    This PRE is MINE all MINE! But if you ask nice I might let you hold it!
    Based on a suggestion here, I'm using networkdown app which is quick simple and free AND it's the only program starting with a "N" so it's also quick access.

http://www.metaviewsoft.de/en/Softwa...reeware/Other/

Otherwise, you need to goto preferences as you've noted or you need software to do the job for you.
  14.    #14  
    what is this networkdown app?

I have green arrows all the time when i look at my phone, even when not using gprs functions.
    Scoop,
    Have you had your phone long enough to get your first bill?

Are you with Cingular?

You may be in for some serious sticker shock!

The green arrows indicate the GPRS connection still in effect. Being a perpetual skeptic, I doubt that while the arrows are showing but I am not using Blazer, that there is NO data being exchanged - so I prefer to be certain my data connection is OFF; if you are still seeing green arrows this may mean that you are still receivning data exchanges.

Go to preferneces >network>disconnect to turn off those green arrows.

On my Cingular network I see black bars which I think means normal GSM 800/1900 bands are being received and sometimes a black triangle to indicate the "edge" network is being received.
    This PRE is MINE all MINE! But if you ask nice I might let you hold it!
  16.    #16  
    i'm on tmobile
    i have not received a bill yet..only 2 weeks on thsi phone. prior i had the Mda (HTC WIZARD)
    i ONLY HAVE TZONES...but since its open without using a proxy or anything crazy it works. so it is unlimited as well. I will pay 30 bucks a month though when its not free anymore! great trial period!

if you have unlimted then i don't really care when the data is going. i will check to see if the bill shows differnt things from the mda to the treo.

i'll let you know, in 14 days.
    I sent a email to Dobson about my speed and they said "Average data speeds vary from 15k per second to 30k per second."
    Quote Originally Posted by scoop_dtx View Post
    what is this networkdown app?

I have green arrows all the time when i look at my phone, even when not using gprs functions.
    It's just a small app to disconnect the network without having to go to prefs. I made it a favorite in phone app to letter Q for quit. Quick and easy