Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Its been over 1 month now since I have had my treo 700p freeze. Side by side with my buddies treo 650 we run at the same speed. I no longer have text messaging lagging or freezing while doing that. Changing between applications no longer results in a white screen for what seems like minutes. You might be wondering what application fixes all of this? Well first step. Erase your treo700p and stop installing 3rd party crap to manage and change stuff. I know 3rd party stuff is great and should run fine but in reality its full of glitches and ends up causing the average treo user problems. Then we have topics that get created *****ing about how the phone sucks and keeps on freezing, well in its stock state the phone is fine.

The only 3rd party application I have is google maps. Try it out, if this does not stop your freezing and lag then call your provider and get a replacement phone sent out.
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewAz View Post
    Its been over 1 month now since I have had my treo 700p freeze. ...

The only 3rd party application I have is google maps. Try it out, if this does not stop your freezing and lag then call your provider and get a replacement phone sent out.
    Thanks for the data point, but seriously, that's hard medicine to swallow for a device marketed to use thousands of PalmOS programs, which if Palm planned on breaking, they should have given developers some advance notice of how hardware spec changes would affect existing programs. The device does not work according to its intended purpose. It's in many ways less functional than the treo 600 I replaced it with. I don't want to kill the messenger, I'm just saying that the treo looses most of its usefulness when configured with such a spartan configuration, and the barebones prorgrams shipped with it that do not work very well and hence 3rd party apps are needed to fill the void.

On the positive side, since you've been able to live with this configuration, it might be nice if you continue by adding programs and creating careful notes about what you can successfully add to your configuration.

Now a question: Do you use Versamail?

thanks,
    -- Bob
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Quote Originally Posted by bclancy View Post
    Thanks for the data point, but seriously, that's hard medicine to swallow for a device marketed to use thousands of PalmOS programs,
    he didn't say he deleted the palm programs...just the 3rd party ones. and why would palm give advance notice to 3rd party programmers about hardware when the 3rd party companies make programs that compete with palm's?

the 700p has issue's...no doubt...but the majority of complaints here (imho) point to 3rd party software. i am on my 3rd treo and it's pretty stable until i start adding 3rd party apps. bluetooth, however, is a different story....but every phone i have ever had has had bluetooth issues.
    Waterfrontmgmt, is this your first palm or smartphone?
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by bclancy View Post
    Thanks for the data point, but seriously, that's hard medicine to swallow for a device marketed to use thousands of PalmOS programs, which if Palm planned on breaking, they should have given developers some advance notice of how hardware spec changes would affect existing programs. The device does not work according to its intended purpose. It's in many ways less functional than the treo 600 I replaced it with. I don't want to kill the messenger, I'm just saying that the treo looses most of its usefulness when configured with such a spartan configuration, and the barebones prorgrams shipped with it that do not work very well and hence 3rd party apps are needed to fill the void.

On the positive side, since you've been able to live with this configuration, it might be nice if you continue by adding programs and creating careful notes about what you can successfully add to your configuration.

Now a question: Do you use Versamail?

thanks,
    -- Bob
    Yes I do use Versamail, But I am not a power user and only have 2 email accounts. I will say that is the slowest app to load but at most it takes 5-10 seconds not minutes like some people cry about.

I also forgot to add that I have a 1 gig memory stick full of music and photos and a few videos. And having that in or out does not slow down the treo at all.

I used to be like a lot of people here having to rest my phone everyday and having horrid lag issues until I did a hard reset of the phone and was messing around with it before I reinstalled my junk and realized how great it functioned without the 3rd party apps, so I left them out when I reconnected it to the computer.

But yea I agree its a big downfall not being able to run 3rd party apps. Let me know what applications you must need and I will install them 1 by one and give you a report if it slows my phone down or makes it crash. But so far I am quite happy with the stock software and my only 3rd party app google maps.

Also if you want to know how many txts I send a month I easily send 2,500 as of this month I am almost at 2,700 and have a week left on my billing cycle. I have it set to purge message that are older than 2 days.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by waterfrontmgmt View Post
    he didn't say he deleted the palm programs...just the 3rd party ones. and why would palm give advance notice to 3rd party programmers about hardware when the 3rd party companies make programs that compete with palm's?

the 700p has issue's...no doubt...but the majority of complaints here (imho) point to 3rd party software. i am on my 3rd treo and it's pretty stable until i start adding 3rd party apps. bluetooth, however, is a different story....but every phone i have ever had has had bluetooth issues.
    Yes I agree about the bluetooth, I have yet to have a phone that has good bluetooth. But my treo so far has been the best bluetooth phone I have had. My best advice for bluetooth headsets is to get the one that palm promotes or that is promoted with the phone.
    Global Posts
    113 Global Posts
    I see that there are a few of us who have yet to be unplugged from the Matrix. Check the forums and see that Palm admits to the 700P issues. So whether it be stock or with third party apps, the device does not function as advertised...there's obviously just variance in frequency, awareness, and or concern.

It is now ok to be plugged back in...
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    how far does that memory stick stick out? j/k
    M505 -> M515 -> Kyo6035 -> Kyo 7135 -> Treo 600 ->Treo 650 -> Treo 700P -> Treo 700 WX -> Samsung Saga VZW
    That's like saying that you have a Windows computer, but you shouldn't install any 3rd party applications because it will freeze up. If it didn't come with XP then it shouldn't be on your computer.?. Build a better operating system that will handle what it is supposed to handle. You can get a lag using only apps that palm sales on it's own website, and I should consider this acceptable on my $599 phone? Palm needs to resolve these and other issues very quickly. If they don't take care of there customers, someone else will. (Bad timing on Palms part with rumors that Apple is introducing a pda phone in 1st quarter of next year. Apple is know for its solid OS)
    He\'s obviously never used pTunes which comes stock on the 700p. Skip-city when playing in the background.
    Without third party applications, no device is worth having. Very few of us are satisfied with the standard applications, we want more, a different way to do something, we want it to operate better, et cetera. Your solution is just not viable and if you looked into the situation, you would be aware that the problem is the device, as admitted long, long ago by Palm. Try not to make an ***** of yourself.

Ben

Its been over 1 month now since I have had my treo 700p freeze. Side by side with my buddies treo 650 we run at the same speed. I no longer have text messaging lagging or freezing while doing that. Changing between applications no longer results in a white screen for what seems like minutes. You might be wondering what application fixes all of this? Well first step. Erase your treo700p and stop installing 3rd party crap to manage and change stuff. I know 3rd party stuff is great and should run fine but in reality its full of glitches and ends up causing the average treo user problems. Then we have topics that get created *****ing about how the phone sucks and keeps on freezing, well in its stock state the phone is fine.

Like most companies, Palm supplies a POS software development kit to 3rd party developers to promote software development. The kits supplies API's so that developed applications work across multiple hardware platforms . If Palm develops a new device that does not work with current API's, they need to provide the updated ones to 3rd party developers ahead of the hardware release so the apps can be recompiled, tested and debugged ahead of Palm's hardware release.

This is an industry practice followed by both Microsoft and Apple. As an example, Vista has been available to 3rd developers for most of 2006 in beta.

Palm has already admitted the hardware problem. Palm already communicated they are working on both their own end & with 3rd party developers on the issue. It would be logical to believe they are making changes to API's and drivers for both parties. It is unreasonable to blame 3rd party developers for the lag when the major ones have been following the rules.

And just to reiterate a statement above, I tried pTunes before I loaded anything on the 700p & it was broke already. Palm has admitted they are working on this as well.
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    Without third party applications, no device is worth having. Very few of us are satisfied with the standard applications, we want more, a different way to do something, we want it to operate better, et cetera. Your solution is just not viable and if you looked into the situation, you would be aware that the problem is the device, as admitted long, long ago by Palm. Try not to make an ***** of yourself.

Ben
    this is exactly what i was thinking......this is one of the main reasons for owning a treo. we as treo users shouldn't have to have our treos stripped 'naked" in order for it to work properly, hopefully palm will successfully address this problem with the Q1 2007 software update.......hopefully.
    !! uNo.....DoS.....tReO!!

http://www.myspace.com/ljj8503
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    AndrewAz

The solution you gave, if it can be called a solution, is just not viable and logical at all. If all you wanted was a phone that gave you very limited functionality, with access to the web, PIM data management and the like, then the Treo was a bad choice for you.

Me and others get the Treo because of the basic functionality it provides and then some. The ability to extend the original scope of the device to help you manage other things. Installing 3rd paty apps is what makes the Treo shine. Take as an example the 650, very stable platform by now. Apps like Chattermail, Resco Backup, Verichat, Ptunes, Phone Technician, mRing, etc. All of those made the phone become the best solution and the best smartphone years past.

Now the 700p has to take that spot and/or share it with the 680. A HW platform that allows 3rd paties to develop interesting applications, that take advantage of the device's uniqueness and leverages it. You mentioned Google Maps, that is a prime example of what I mean. Google Maps for the Treo is THE app for the Treo at the moment, and I just hope that after the long-desired ROM update, other apps will follow suit.

In the meantime, we Treo addicts have learned to cope with the current 700p shortcomings. But that does not mean we don't voice our opinions in forums like this and sit idle... that is what drives innovation among Treo users that are always finding way to enhance/improve upon the current Treo abilities.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    He\'s obviously never used pTunes which comes stock on the 700p. Skip-city when playing in the background.
    Thats what my ipod is for. A treo even with a 4 gig stick cant hold enough music for me and I am not the person who likes to compress stuff to the point its crap.
  16.    #16  
    I am just giving advice for people so they can stop *****ing about the phone. Funny how some 3rd party apps work fine but its when people try and put old apps on the phone its screws it up.

Again I made this topic so people would not ***** and if they want to ***** they can ***** in this topic and not make a new one..

I call for a sticky.
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    I have plenty of 3rd parties and no lag or freezing, except occasionally in browser. I just erased everything to do with versamail, wirelessync, not to mention a bunch of other little options and settings I've gone into already in other threads.

Your situation andrew, may have had to do with some 3rd party app or apps you installed, but this by no means is a cure all for all 700p owners.(not that there may be)

Remember befor posting these "cures" there are many different scenarios, programs, settings, and networks, not to mention blatant hardware problems and design errors contributing to the product line as a whole, and every users situation ussaually differs.

My problem is the "amount" of users experiencing similar problems on the same phone. I wish your "fix" was the end all, and maybe for some, but if it doesn't fix it, read up, and do some searches, most of the answers are there already.
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    noodlelest wet noodler
    Thats what my ipod is for. A treo even with a 4 gig stick cant hold enough music for me and I am not the person who likes to compress stuff to the point its crap.
    I guess that AAC+ v2 is unknown to you. So is SDHC which is up to 8GB now and will be at 32GB in the future.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    I have plenty of 3rd parties and no lag or freezing, except occasionally in browser. I just erased everything to do with versamail, wirelessync, not to mention a bunch of other little options and settings I've gone into already in other threads.

Your situation andrew, may have had to do with some 3rd party app or apps you installed, but this by no means is a cure all for all 700p owners.(not that there may be)

Remember befor posting these "cures" there are many different scenarios, programs, settings, and networks, not to mention blatant hardware problems and design errors contributing to the product line as a whole, and every users situation ussaually differs.

My problem is the "amount" of users experiencing similar problems on the same phone. I wish your "fix" was the end all, and maybe for some, but if it doesn't fix it, read up, and do some searches, most of the answers are there already.
    Either people are impatient or they need new replacements. I dont get this lag issue. Yes the phone has lag but at max I mean at max its 5-10 seconds. Some people are *****ing about 10+ seconds 20+ 30+... You need a new phone, something is messed up.
    ... I call for a sticky.
    No way. All of this has been hashed and re-hased before. I for one am still interested in what you have to say because you are taking a different path than most users will, but for a sticky, the results would have to be applicable to a large percentage of users, and most users bought treos over feature phones specifically because of their ability to be programmed for other purposes.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast