1.    #1  
    Telenav's website and phone technical support center both say that Telenav is not supported on Verizon's 700p, only on Sprint's 700p. The Verizon Treo 650 IS supported. I'm confused why the carrier makes any difference.

Has anyone gotten it to work with a Verizon 700p?
    I installed the prc for a Verizon 650P on my 700. So far all the menus and features that I can check without a BT GPS unit (I'll have that in a day or two) seem to work fine. I can get maps from Telenav with no problem. Also the biz finder works as advertised, though I did spot one or two bar/restaurant type places that have been closed for quite a while.

I'll post more when I get to test the GPS capabilities.

ajb
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by driveral View Post
    I installed the prc for a Verizon 650P on my 700. So far all the menus and features that I can check without a BT GPS unit (I'll have that in a day or two) seem to work fine. I can get maps from Telenav with no problem. Also the biz finder works as advertised, though I did spot one or two bar/restaurant type places that have been closed for quite a while.

I'll post more when I get to test the GPS capabilities.

ajb
    Thanks ajb. I was just browsing Telenav's website myself this evening and figured that the Sprint 700p PRC would probably work better on my VZ 700p than the VZ 650 PRC, so I downloaded but haven't installed it yet. Based on your experience I'll try the 650 VZ version out as well to see which one works best.

Anyone else have any experience with this?
    Quote Originally Posted by bsolomon View Post
    Thanks ajb. I was just browsing Telenav's website myself this evening and figured that the Sprint 700p PRC would probably work better on my VZ 700p than the VZ 650 PRC, so I downloaded but haven't installed it yet. Based on your experience I'll try the 650 VZ version out as well to see which one works best.

Anyone else have any experience with this?
    The Sprint 700p PRC for Telenav works perfectly on the Verizon 700p.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by ccotnoir View Post
    The Sprint 700p PRC for Telenav works perfectly on the Verizon 700p.
    Thanks for the advice. I just purchased and installed it on my VZ 700p and even though I won't have the BT GPS unit for a couple of days, the program seems to be working normally. I'll post again when the GPS unit arrives.
    I used Telenav on my unbranded ROM modified Treo 650. It works fine. You should be fine running the Sprint 700p PRC on your VZ phone. I dont see how telenav would know the difference.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by swieder View Post
    I used Telenav on my unbranded ROM modified Treo 650. It works fine. You should be fine running the Sprint 700p PRC on your VZ phone. I dont see how telenav would know the difference.
    Swieder...That's what I thought too, that Telenav would have no way of knowing the difference between Sprint and Verizon, and it didn't make sense to me that Sprint 700p would be supported but that VZ 700p would not.

After asking Telenav for clarification on their forum and through their tech support and not getting a satisfactory explanation, I decided to take a chance and buy the product anyway after receiving ccotnoir's advice that it would work. After two days of using it extensively, it works great!

Maybe this is a case of Verizon not wanting their customers to know that Telenav works with the 700p so it won't compete with their other GPS offerings??? If that is the case then I assume that Telenav has agreed to play dumb?? In any event, I'm tempted to post this good news on the Telenav forum for the sake of those who've been waiting for VZ 700p compatibility, but I'm concerned that maybe Telenav might remotely disconnect me if they know I'm using an unsupported phone or am spreading information that contradicts the party line? Or that they might be able to somehow detect when a 700p is using Verizon and shut the service down, and so I should just keep quiet?

Mabye I'm just being paranoid, but if anyone has an opinion on this, please let me know...Thanks!!

By the way I downloaded Telenav OTA (after purchasing it) at http://ota.telenav.com/ota/sn, and Blazer automatically prompted me to download the Telenav_Treo700.prc file. Telenav sent me the Globalsat BT-359 receiver in the mail.
    Last edited by bsolomon; 01/08/2007 at 12:07 PM.