Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    I went to Radio Shack yesterday to buy a 2.5-3.5 adapter for my 680 and was told that all the phone 2.5 adapters are proprietary and you can't interchange them. They said I would need to order one from the manufacturer. I have no problem supporting palm and ordering one, but everyone on this site seems to talk as though they use a standard adapter. Was the Radio Shack guy right or way off base on this. Can I get a standard adapter or do I need the palm one? Thanks
    The one you buy from radio shack will work just fine.
    the one from radioshack will work. Most people who aren't familiar with palm devices are just that "not familiar"
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    its just wire swapping not software, im using an audio adapter from an ipaq on my 600, its just wires not even any chips, i made one for my brothers treo out of parts i had lying around my house
    Visor Neo-->Visor Edge-->Visor Prism(with Visorphone)-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 180-->Copper Treo 680-->Treo 270-->Treo 800w
    Just a word of caution. I would suggest that you do not use the in-line 1.5" long solid adaptor. It is too easy to apply excessive force to the phone socket and damage it. The style with plug and socket separated by a small length of wire is safer.
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    yeah thats true, i encountered that with my 600, i had to resoder it b/c i accidentally fell asleep while listening to it and the adapter got bent and broke off the socket, the one i made for my bro has a wire though
    Visor Neo-->Visor Edge-->Visor Prism(with Visorphone)-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 180-->Copper Treo 680-->Treo 270-->Treo 800w
    Interesting, because I bought the nice solid metal inline jack adapter from Radio Shack and it works great!

Maybe because I treat the device like the expensive peice o computer equipment it is and not some pocket radio I haven't had any problems with breaking sockets?

Or could it be that I haven't had any one Treo device inmy possession ( due to device malfunction) for any great length of time in order that a socket develops a flaw?

Regardless, I still don't see the problem or difference between an adapter with a wire connecting to another wired pulg and the "solid" Radio Shack Adapter.

Both of these are solid where they go in to the device socket!

Personally I think Palm ought to stop putting a proprietary audio socket on their Treo devices. My Tungsten T3 has the standard audio jack So I find myself listening to my mP3s while working using the T3 hooked to external battery powered speakers; then when listening to the mP3s on the Treo I just use the onboard speakers.

really wish PAlm Treos would support BT audio.

Cheers!
    This PRE is MINE all MINE! But if you ask nice I might let you hold it!
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    its an easy enough mod to do, its just that noone really wants to chop their $400+ piece of machinery and void the warranty, i dont know where the thread is but there is a guy that sells antenas for the older models with headphone jacks in them, and on his page he shows the audio pinout so its easy to do but requires opening the treo (might do it with my 600 actually since im getting the 680 soon in the mail >.< SHIP ALREADY!)
    I think that the problem with the solid in-line style is the amount of leverage that can be applied at the end of it.
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    yeah like i said i fell asleep on it and it was bent, the jack completely freed itself from the board at all contacts b/c of the leverage, but the jack is still sturdy and doesnt give me occasional static like the all the wired ones i've tried
    The TREO jack is already standard - for the phone earpiece which is the primary purpose of the phone. The audio thing is an additional feature.
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bigcatny View Post
    The TREO jack is already standard - for the phone earpiece which is the primary purpose of the phone. The audio thing is an additional feature.
    we know, thats not what we're talking about though, look at the first post, this is about the audio adapter, not the purpose of the jack
    Quote Originally Posted by Forgewizard View Post
    Personally I think Palm ought to stop putting a proprietary audio socket on their Treo devices. My Tungsten T3 has the standard audio jack So I find myself listening to my mP3s while working using the T3 hooked to external battery powered speakers; then when listening to the mP3s on the Treo I just use the onboard speakers.

really wish PAlm Treos would support BT audio.

Cheers!
    Jpizzaj
    I did read the thread and you seemed to answer all his inquiries quite well. I was answering the above comment which was not addressed here.
    Global Posts
    212 Global Posts
    I have a couple of these adapters from radio shack. I bought a few, cause I lose em all the time. I like the smaller one that's bent 90 degrees or the one with the small cord in betweem, but I'm too impatient to wait for it in the mail, when I can get a cheap one right away from the loca RS (I need immediate gratification)
    Palm IIIe -> Visor Deluxe -> Palm 505 -> Clie tj37 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700P
    My local Radio Shack said they were on order - had been selling them like hot cakes -) so I ordered adpaters via eBay (haven't seen them yet -) but this is the same offer by the same operation: http://cgi.ebay.com/2-Stereo-Headpho...QQcmdZViewItem
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bigcatny View Post
    Jpizzaj
    I did read the thread and you seemed to answer all his inquiries quite well. I was answering the above comment which was not addressed here.
    sorry bout that i just wasn't sure
    I just bought that EBAY adapter for my TREO on a recent trip through Hong Kong and paid RETAIL (wait for it.....) $0.50.

Works really well, of course the $1000 transit charge is a killer (for the flight) but good thing I had other business there.