Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 36 of 36
  1. #21  
    The most amazing thing I have read on several posts here...and is common on most all mobile phone forums, is members encouraging other members to call Cingular, or whatever service provider...and tell an outright lie about why they want an unlock subsidary code. Absolutely amazing.

    Why don't you simply put your hard earned money up and pay a reliable vendor to unlock your phone instead of trying every angle you can think of to get over on the provider? That's just one of the many reasons it's hard for anybody legitimate to get any help from providers these days...
    Last edited by davistld01; 02/13/2007 at 04:01 PM.
  2. #22  
    I think that gets it backwards. I don't think lying to providers is why they treat us like garbage. I think they treat us like garbage because that's the kind of people they are. It may have something to do with what they know about themselves, of course, and what they think everybody else is like. But whatever, in those circumstances I don't see anything wrong with lying. Until the cows come home.
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by mdavis View Post
    But whatever, in those circumstances I don't see anything wrong with lying. Until the cows come home.
    That's exactly the mindset I'm talking about.

    I'm not preachin'...but, I mean...somebody has to be honest, don't they?
  4. Silver5's Avatar
    Posts
    529 Posts
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    #24  
    If you are talking about GSMPhoneSource.com there is no need to be worried. They unlocked my phone for me in about 5 hours from the time I emailed them and sent the money via PayPal. I think it is the second phone they unlocked for me successfully.
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by davistld01 View Post
    That's exactly the mindset I'm talking about.

    I'm not preachin'...but, I mean...somebody has to be honest, don't they?
    I agree. If you abandon your own principles just because you perceive yourself to be wronged, that says a lot about whether they were ever your principles to begin with.
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickS View Post
    I agree. If you abandon your own principles just because you perceive yourself to be wronged, that says a lot about whether they were ever your principles to begin with.
    Word.
  7. fondoo's Avatar
    Posts
    200 Posts
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    #27  
    did you purchase your unlock code from gsmphonesource.com? is there yahoo website legit?


    Quote Originally Posted by Silver5 View Post
    If you are talking about GSMPhoneSource.com there is no need to be worried. They unlocked my phone for me in about 5 hours from the time I emailed them and sent the money via PayPal. I think it is the second phone they unlocked for me successfully.
  8. #28  
    If you do a search here for "gsmphonesource", you'll find tons of testimonials about their service...

    By posts:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/se...archid=6244357

    By threads:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/se...archid=6244353
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by davistld01 View Post
    That's exactly the mindset I'm talking about.

    ...
    You know, with all due respect, I don't think that's nice at all. I didn't call your beliefs and principles a "mindset," and I don't think you should mine.

    This is my personal creed. I don't ask you to adhere to it. You may not understand it, but I made it pretty clear that I didn't understand yours either. I think we both deserve respect.
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickS View Post
    I agree. If you abandon your own principles just because you perceive yourself to be wronged, that says a lot about whether they were ever your principles to begin with.
    That's simply rude, at the very least. I didn't criticize your religion, and you shouldn't mine. My principles are pretty firm and unwavering. You apparently believe there is a blanket rule against lying. Frankly, I don't know where that comes from, and it's not a part of my principles. So, as you say, "to begin with," they haven't changed. Beginning middle and end.

    So, why don't you adhere to your principles--but if one of them is to criticize others as unprincipled just because they don't share yours, I'd reexamine the principles to make sure they weren't simply presumptuousness--and I'll keep mine. Can't we all just get along?
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by mdavis View Post
    You know, with all due respect, I don't think that's nice at all. I didn't call your beliefs and principles a "mindset," and I don't think you should mine.

    This is my personal creed. I don't ask you to adhere to it. You may not understand it, but I made it pretty clear that I didn't understand yours either. I think we both deserve respect.

    My apologies if I offended you in any way. You stated your belief that it was OK to lie if you felt like it was justified. That is certainly within your rights to have that as part of your belief system.

    Once again, my apologies. Never meant to disrespect...
  12. #32  
    I'll weigh in here since I'm guilty of telling people to call Cingular.

    My viewpoint is that it's not a lie.
    1) I don't feel that Cingular or anyone should lock the phone to begin with and doing so is wrong. I'm already locked into a contract that they will fine my *** heavily to break anyway. It's almost punative to lock the phone.
    2) They are happy to unlock me if I travel but won't do it otherwise. That's just a RANDOM rule then that has NO legitimate rationale except to increase their already high profits.
    3) If I EVER travel and want to use another chip then I'm merely being efficient and doing things ahead of time.
    4) I paid for the phone and they should NOT be restricting my use of it. If they rented me the phone or gave me the phone that's another case but I'm paying...... Same problem with some of the digital rights management schemes out there.

    BUT, in the end, it's completely up to the person with a problem to do what THEY feel they want to do and it won't affect me either way. We're all adults here (I think) and people need to make up their own minds about things then take responsibility for that choice.
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by bigcatny View Post
    I'll weigh in here since I'm guilty of telling people to call Cingular.

    My viewpoint is that it's not a lie.
    1) I don't feel that Cingular or anyone should lock the phone to begin with and doing so is wrong. I'm already locked into a contract that they will fine my *** heavily to break anyway. It's almost punative to lock the phone.
    2) They are happy to unlock me if I travel but won't do it otherwise. That's just a RANDOM rule then that has NO legitimate rationale except to increase their already high profits.
    3) If I EVER travel and want to use another chip then I'm merely being efficient and doing things ahead of time.
    4) I paid for the phone and they should NOT be restricting my use of it. If they rented me the phone or gave me the phone that's another case but I'm paying...... Same problem with some of the digital rights management schemes out there.

    BUT, in the end, it's completely up to the person with a problem to do what THEY feel they want to do and it won't affect me either way. We're all adults here (I think) and people need to make up their own minds about things then take responsibility for that choice.
    I'm trying desperately not to come off as Dr. Phil or Billy Graham...but, you are once again saying that a lie is justified. If it's "not really a lie" to request a unlocking subsidary code from Cingular because you are "going overseas and need the code to do...whatever"...but in fact, you are not going overseas...then what is that? A "fib"? "Prior planning"? "Payback"?

    I agree that it is all a matter of what a person feels is right or wrong. The fact that I have a very absolute opinion of that is my position and mine alone. It's all about personal accountability...

    ...and I take full responsibility for hijacking this thread. My apologies to the OP. I'll shut up now. This is supposed to be a Treo 680 forum, isn't it?
    Last edited by davistld01; 02/14/2007 at 11:05 AM.
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by davistld01 View Post
    I'm trying desperately not to come off as Dr. Phil or Billy Graham...but, you are once again saying that a lie is justified. If it's "not really a lie" to request a unlocking subsidary code from Cingular because you are "going overseas and need the code to do...whatever"...but in fact, you are not going overseas...then what is that? A "fib"? "Prior planning"? "Payback"?

    I agree that it is all a matter of what a person feels is right or wrong. The fact that I have a very absolute opinion of that is my position and mine alone. It's all about personal accountability...
    To me, it is prior planning as I mentioned above. To someone else, who knows.... I mean is it any more legitimate to buy the phone on deep discount from Cingular then resell it on EBAY? I don't know..... OR to wait 2 weeks then swap the data plan to a cheaper one despite the contract saying you must use the more expensive one..... OR to use the T-zones plan instead of the internet connection plan despite the vendor telling you that you must pay $15 more a month..... It's all pretty arbitrary and it's a personal choice that you must live with.

    In the end, if people are willing to sign a contract for 2 years then it's not like they are ripping off Cingular in ANY way. Regardless if people use the phone or NOT, Cingular gets paid..... So is charging us for a service we don't use also wrong?

    That said, I spent the full amount and got the phone unlocked.
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by fondoo View Post
    i'm also looking into unlocking my cingular phone. can anyone recommend me someone??
    Oh and by the way, call cingular and ask them to unlock it.
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by davistld01 View Post
    ... you are once again saying that a lie is justified. ...
    Quote Originally Posted by bigcatny View Post
    ... people need to make up their own minds about things then take responsibility for that choice.
    I hope you don't mind if I at least answer this since I was the original "target."

    1. I am indeed saying that a lie is justified and I am mystified that some think that there is some rule against lying. We don't all have the same rules. Some of us have no rules. I guess that's sort of a rule in itself. But if it is, it's really important and profound to some of us, so it deserves respect.

    2. I don't think people have to take responsibility for anything. That's just another rule and is all about guilt. As an aside, I don't really know where this one comes from, although I've seen it mentioned before. It usually just pops up out of people for no apparent reason.

    Finally, bigcatny gives some good reasons but I just don't think they're necessary.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions