Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    Just picked up my 2GB SD card the other day and am throwing some songs on it. I'll go bigger soon, but this is a start. I am using a 680 that comes with pTunes 3.xx on it and it plays fine. I'm thinking of upgrading but can't decided between pTunes and Kinoma. Kinoma does more (ie: video) but pTunes 4 is supposed to do music better (see review: http://blog.treonauts.com/2006/12/pocket_tunes_40.html ). Wondering about your thoughts/experiences. Anyone?
    Check the PalmOS Multimedia and PalmOS apps forums as there are threads in there that talk about both.

Ptunes is definitely better for music overall (supports more formats), but if you're into streaming audio, Kinoma supports WMA and MP3/Shoutcast whereas Ptunes only supports MP3/Shoutcast..

Also big difference today is Ptunes can play in the background where Kinoma can't.
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    Thanks for the info and for the new forum. In 6 months I've never even scrolled down far enough to see that there is a software section!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by OnTheFly View Post
    Thanks for the info and for the new forum. In 6 months I've never even scrolled down far enough to see that there is a software section!!!
    For the price Kinoma has a lot of functionality. In reality, you only need one thing to work well, and the rest is gravy. Although I use it to watch a lot of live tv and listen to live radio, the ability to grab anything unprotected off my iTunes library and slap it on an SD card is pretty awesome. I also use the built in guide to find and bookmark podcasts, which is great too. The audio functions are adaqate for me, and with the $5 TreoCentral coupon, it's an all around deal.
    "$5 TreoCentral coupon"

What coupon?
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    I think the coupon is TreoCentral5 if still valid.
    just search treo central for kinoma 4.0 and you'll see it for 19.99
    I like both, but if I had to pick a app it would be Ptunes. I can use it in the background (web, datebook, Neews, mobipocket). Kinoma is cool but still has some things to fix/add
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzkids View Post
    I think the coupon is TreoCentral5 if still valid.
    The TC discount code that makes Kinoma Player 4 EX cost $19.99 instead of $24.99 was supposed to expire on 12/31/2006 but Kinoma generously decided to let it run longer. At the end of my two-part review is a link that goes directly to their online store with the code already applied. The coupon code is TC5.

There are a lot of additions coming to the Kinoma Media guide (in fact, it's constantly updated..) .. and a full program update should be released this month but I am not at liberty to discuss the changes. So don't ask.

By the way, if you know of radio stations you'd like to see added to the Media guide, http://www.thestreamcenter.com/form.html
    is the direct location to enter radio station requests into the stream center guide for Kinoma Player.

Choose "other" in the pull down menu, and then give them the link info.

Harv
    Do NOT send email to harv at treocentral dot com - it will never reach me.. forwarding from that address to my real address was hijacked in early 2008, and I can't fix it.. send me a private message instead or email me directly at my RR address..