1.    #1  
    I am looking for greater speed. Currently, my trusty faithful Treo 600 GSM using T-Mobile has been terrific. At a convention, lots of people had the 700W with Verizon and I became immediatly jealous of the speeds. I picked up the Sprint 700P and am in the 30 day trial. But I am wondering if I should give up my beloved 600-with daily journal and floating appts but SLOOOOOOWWWW speeds. How do you check your speeds anyway?? Thanks in advance for any inputs.
    Global Posts
    212 Global Posts
    I had the treo 600 and I absolutely loved it too. Then the 650 came out and I enviously eyed their gorgeous 320x320 screen, but yet I waited. Then the 700w arrived and I thought back to the 650 screen and all the Palm OS software I'd already purchased, along with rumors of a Palm based 700, I waited yet some more. Finally the 700P came out and I was first in line!

In short, I too came from the 600 and it's a worthy upgrade! enjoy!
    Palm IIIe -> Visor Deluxe -> Palm 505 -> Clie tj37 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700P
    Quote Originally Posted by LuvMyTreoBaby View Post
    I am looking for greater speed. ... should give up my beloved 600-with daily journal and floating appts but SLOOOOOOWWWW speeds. ...
    Honestly, after going from a treo 600 to a 700p (on Sprint), I don't feel like I've gained that much. The screen is sharper but still small. I haven't tried Xiino but blazer on evdo does not seem that much faster than xiino on 1xrtt to me. Bluetooth is too crappy to really consider that a plus. The extra memory is nice, but going to NVFS seemed to cause a lot of stability problems with existing programs. You need to add programs slowly in order to know which cooks spoil the broth. Oh, one really positive thing about the 700p over the 600 is the keyboard. I never really used the keyboard on the 600 because the keys were too much like snowballs. The 700p keys seem comforably shaped, maybe a bit bigger. The sprint treo 600 keys were uncomforably dark, but I don't think this applies to you on GSM.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    I use my Sprint Treo 700p bunches of hours a day. You mention daily journal and floating appts - take a look at Datebook 6 - it does all of those things.

PalmInternals does the speed thing.

As a note, the 650 has less user memory than the 600 - the 680 and 700P are the ones to look at.

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by LuvMyTreoBaby View Post
    I am looking for greater speed. Currently, my trusty faithful Treo 600 GSM using T-Mobile has been terrific. At a convention, lots of people had the 700W with Verizon and I became immediatly jealous of the speeds. I picked up the Sprint 700P and am in the 30 day trial. But I am wondering if I should give up my beloved 600-with daily journal and floating appts but SLOOOOOOWWWW speeds. How do you check your speeds anyway?? Thanks in advance for any inputs.
    I went from T-Mobile 600 to Sprint 700P. I missed the floating events for about 2 days. Every once in a while I still press "menu" / "J" hoping to capture a journal entry in my datebook, then I remember I have to store that tidbit else where (usually Sied).

Besides that, there's no comparison. And, I didn't have to spend a lot to get my favorite apps up and running.
    The 600 used a version of DateBk by CESD. You get the same features for your 700, plus many others if you buy DateBk5 or 6 from Pimlicosoftware.com.
    700p is a huge step up from the 600 I had. Faster, better graphics, faster transfers, bluetooth files transfers, bluetooth headset, more memory.
    absolutely upgrade. then buy Datebk 5 or 6 to get your calendar features back.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Jump the gun mate, I did that the first day the 700p came out and so far it has been good, an to my 600 I bid him ado.

Yes, perhaps not the easiest relationship I've had with a Palm product but still beats everyone else's smartphone

Oh Treo 700p how much I love/hate thee
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    no
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    noodlelest wet noodler
    I went from 600 to 700p and have been very happy with the upgrade. I partially agree with one of the posters above that the jump from 1xRTT to EVDO has not been what I had hoped. It's still better though--and certainly would be better than the GPRS data connection you are using on your GSM phone. The real issue with the current EVDO version (rev 0) is that the latency is still relatively high (~400-500 ms roundtrip time). That means that the initial TCP handshake to start a network connection takes a couple of seconds to complete. Once the session is established though, you can start to see much better download speeds are with the larger webpages or downloads (i.e. after the the TCP slow-start algorithm ramps up). This is probably more info that you care for, but I thought I'd let you know that you are getting the bandwidth promised by EVDO, but the latency often keeps it from appearing significantly faster.

All that said, I still do notice the difference when I visit webpages that I would never have attempted with the 600 because it whould have taken too long or would have reset my 600 because the page was too large. This has never been a problem with the 700p.

The other huge difference for me is the screen resolution and brightness. I think the screen looks fantastic--even in sunlight. In fact, it looks even better when it is in direct sunlight. Check it out--it's amazing.

My only complaints are also limitations on the 600: no WiFi option and no multi-tasking.
    Pen+Paper > Treo300 > Treo600 > Treo 700p
    Global Posts
    234 Global Posts
    ...God, yes...