Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    My Treo 680, with it's keyguard on, is kept in a top loading sleeve, the black nylon OEM one that came with the Treo 600.

When I remove the 680 from the case, it inadvertently/accidently silences firing alarms and alerts prior to dismissing the keyguard.

When I'm on the move and carring the 680 in this case and in my pocket, the calendar alarms and alerts get silenced from inadvertent and accidental keypresses from the case and the in my pocket combination.

Is it just me, or is anyone else having this problem and is there a solution?
    Last edited by Big_OTR_Fan; 12/30/2006 at 05:32 AM. Reason: adjusted title to be more specific
    Global Posts
    150 Global Posts
    I've carried my 650 and now my 680 in my front pocket for years, sans case, without a problem. Keyguard is specifically designed to prevent what you're describing, and it sounds like it's not working.
    Brian
    have you tried putting the Treo in your pocket without the sleeve on? does that remedy the situation or does it remain? sounds like the combo of the keyguard/case/removal of causes the problem and nothing else. have you tried using some other type of sleeve? i have been carrying mine, sleeveless, in pocket without a problem, but i don't use the keyguard.

by the way, i absolutely love that oem nylon sleeve....i thought i was the only one who still owned one. cool.

regards
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
    i wear khaki's everyday and keep it in the front pocket. no sleeve.
    i've only had it a week and half, but it has no problems. I have keyguard on.

the only think i hate is that i never feel it ring! I don't think i have the ringers set up right though...i know it vibrates!

and that when i turn off keyguard sometimes its on phone, sometimes its on appication or mail or calendar...but that just depends on which key wakes up the phone before keyguard jumps in.
    Keep the Treo naked in my front jean pocket. Keyguard works fine, and with Phone Technician, I have crazy loud ringtones. Besides, can't miss my Japanese punk rock MP3 ringtone.
    (PowerPlay Vs) >> palmOne Zire 31 >>
    (palm Tungsten T3)/(palmOne Zire 72s) >> (palm Black Tie Trēo 650 Custom)/
    (palmOne LifeDrive Custom [SanDisk Ultra II CF])/(palm m515)/(palm T|X)
    handspring Visor Deluxe/Tapwave Zodiac 2/palm Trēo 680 Copper Orange

Canuck PDA
  6. dpc
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    I carry mine in my pocket. I've been using the palm flexicase, which works great.
    Keep my 680 in the front pocket, no case, sleeves or anything of anything. Did that also with my 600 for yrs. Keygruad is a must though!
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by E2EK1EL View Post
    Keep my 680 in the front pocket, no case, sleeves or anything of anything. Did that also with my 600 for yrs. Keygruad is a must though!
    Good Morning 2EEK!

Would you (and anyone else for that matter?) mind doing a specific test of the 680 keyguard for me please?

The preamble:

On my just retired 600 when a calendar alarm fires and the screen wakes up, the keyguard dialog is already displayed and the alarm continues firing no matter what I do or how many times I manhandle it until I press center to dismiss the keyguard.

Even then the alarm continues firing until I handle it on the alert screen, either snoozing it or hitting Done or Go to... it's only then that the alarm is silenced.

Now for the test:

On my 680 when a calendar alarm fires and the 680 wakes up, the keyguard dialog is NOT VISIBLE.

Hitting any key now brings up the keyguard and the keys are now locked, however that keypress also simultaneously silences the alarm... prior to me dismissing the now visible keyguard and prior to even being able to decide on how to handle it on the alert screen.

This is a potential cause of missed commitments and appointments if a snug case or jostling in a pocket inadvertently presses any key.

So to determine if it is only my 680 and it's keyguard, does your 680 act like mine... when it awakes due to a calendar alarm is the keyguard NOT visible and does hitting ANY key bring up the keyguard dialog, but also simultaneously silence the alarm prior to you dismissing the keyguard by pressing the center button?
    If I set an alarm, wait for it, and press any key as the screen turns on, the alarm does not sound and the keyguard dialogue comes up. So my treo behaves the same way as yours.
    omg, i just noticed the same thing...that's why i didnt' hear my calendar alarm...it should keep ringing until keyguard is disabled! what do we do?
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    One solution is to get Butler http://hobbyistsoftware.com and set it to use Attention Manager alerts. You can set it so that it will remind you ever N minutes of any missed alerts. Note: this won't help you if the alert you missed was actually dismissed, only if the alert was silenced by accident...
    Quote Originally Posted by Big_OTR_Fan View Post
    Good Morning 2EEK!

Would you (and anyone else for that matter?) mind doing a specific test of the 680 keyguard for me please?

The preamble:

On my just retired 600 when a calendar alarm fires and the screen wakes up, the keyguard dialog is already displayed and the alarm continues firing no matter what I do or how many times I manhandle it until I press center to dismiss the keyguard.

Even then the alarm continues firing until I handle it on the alert screen, either snoozing it or hitting Done or Go to... it's only then that the alarm is silenced.

Now for the test:

On my 680 when a calendar alarm fires and the 680 wakes up, the keyguard dialog is NOT VISIBLE.

Hitting any key now brings up the keyguard and the keys are now locked, however that keypress also simultaneously silences the alarm... prior to me dismissing the now visible keyguard and prior to even being able to decide on how to handle it on the alert screen.

This is a potential cause of missed commitments and appointments if a snug case or jostling in a pocket inadvertently presses any key.

So to determine if it is only my 680 and it's keyguard, does your 680 act like mine... when it awakes due to a calendar alarm is the keyguard NOT visible and does hitting ANY key bring up the keyguard dialog, but also simultaneously silence the alarm prior to you dismissing the keyguard by pressing the center button?

Everything works fine for me, alarm + keygaurd w/ rings and silent mode.
    Quote Originally Posted by Big_OTR_Fan View Post
    When I remove the 680 from the case, it inadvertently/accidently silences firing alarms and alerts prior to dismissing the keyguard.

When I'm on the move and carring the 680 in this case and in my pocket, the calendar alarms and alerts get silenced from inadvertent and accidental keypresses from the case and the in my pocket combination.

Is it just me, or is anyone else having this problem and is there a solution?
    I'm having the exact same problem with my 680 -- even while in a holster belt-clip case!

It seems that the keyguard on the 680 is little more than an "auto off" feature... It still responds to key presses for those few seconds when the screen comes on. The holster I'm using is tight enough that it's occasionally depressing keys. On my old 650 any keypresses that happened in the first few seconds (when the keyguard gets intitially activated) did not cause any actual functions to occur on the Treo. On the 680 this does not seem to be the case.

There's definitely something wrong in the way the 680's keyguard is functioning. Hopefully a firmware fix is in the works for this and maybe even the battery issue. I wonder if these two problems are even linked in some way...

Mark
  14.    #14  
    Mark, any thoughts on how this keyguard issue should be brought to Palm's attention properly?

I think my new 680 is a fabulous replacement for my 600, however I can't depend on the 680 for proper notification of appointments and commitments via Calendar alarms and alerts and calls due to the faulty keyguard implementation/sequencing.
    I wish I knew how best to pass this info on to Palm...
    Meanwhile I'm just hoping that it's something Palm will eventually pick up on.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by mhzimmer View Post
    I wish I knew how best to pass this info on to Palm...
    Meanwhile I'm just hoping that it's something Palm will eventually pick up on.
    Mark:

I noticed in another thread that you were advised by someone at Palm that they were working on the keyguard problem...

I wrote via email to Kevin.Michaels (who works for Palm and has been very helpful in responding to questions at everythingtreo.com) but did not hear anything back yet.

Could it be that Palm will be able to cure Slipcase Shutdown by fixing the keyguard?

I really do need to be able to depend on the Calendar alarms and alerts etc on the 680.
    carry it in my hardcase (boxwave) in my pocket on the bus etc- no problems with keyguard....
    Global Posts
    459 Global Posts
    I take my 680 commando. No problems with alarms or anything.
    a dirty mind is a terrible thing to waste
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by bruckwine View Post
    carry it in my hardcase (boxwave) in my pocket on the bus etc- no problems with keyguard....
    Hi bruckwine... is it possible that your hardcase is protecting the 680 from any inadvertent keypresses in that is is not snugly pressing against any of the qwerty keys?

Try this test:

Set a Calendar alarm.

Let the 680 go to sleep.

Let the alarm fire. Notice that the 680 keyguard is not displayed.

Press any qwerty key and notice that this keypress NOW brings up the keyguard AND allows the same untrapped keypress to silence the alarm.

Now the keyguard will trap any keypress... however the alarm has now been silenced in advance of the keyguard being displayed and in advance of you now dismissing the keyguard and in advance of you now deciding what to do with the alarm/alert on the alarm/alert screen.
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by randyg View Post
    I take my 680 commando. No problems with alarms or anything.
    Randy, I wonder if you're just fast on the draw and can react to the initial sound before it gets silenced...

Would you mind trying the test indicated in the response above to bruckwine?

Perhaps if your 680 doesn't react as I'm suggesting it might in the test, then maybe we can look at what settings are different between your 680 and mine?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast