Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 40
  1.    #1  
    Does anyone have any knowledge about the events in database on the option screen on BatteryGraph? I am using that program to track performance on my 680 and 650 phones (hence posting it here instead of the Apps section), and notice a big difference. After 5 days, I have over 2200 events in the database on the 680, and only 201 on the 650. Trying to figure out why the battery on the 680 is and the battery life is inconsistent.

  2. #2  
    BG doesn't store which programs turned on and off.. However, there is a program which does. Basically counts each time a program is executed. You could probably use it to see what is being launched often.

    The bad part is I have no idea what the name is.. I recall seeing a forum post on it 5-6 months ago but don't have a context in my head. You can try to hunt for it, but I think it was fairly obscure.
  3. #3  
    I think I remember the program you're talking about. Totally agree about its obscurity! Shareware.

    http://www.akeysoft.com/product_deta...me=Ak%20AppLog
  4. #4  
    Yep, that's it! I think that might work for what he's trying to do... Especially if you can reset the counts, then let the phone sit around for a while.

    However, background apps probably won't be counted here.. Not sure.
  5. #5  
    I remember thinking about trying that app, but was thinking I don't want to pay just to get stats like that. But if it could also track background apps... might be worth a few bucks.

    I also remember thinking I'll be able to easily find it again if I decided I wanted to try it. NOT. Took about 15 mins of googling with 8 or 9 keywords to find it on the 2nd page of results!

    Don't know how the OP uses the 680, but with 2200 events, over the course of 5 days, that's roughly an event every 3 minutes (with each event representing either an on or off)!
  6. #6  
    I think you can use it unregistered for a while, but it puts "unregistered" in some data points... That's how I read the description.
  7. #7  
    I'm trying it just to see what it does, and it seems to see ZLauncher launched 900 times in the last 10 hours, which doesn't make any sense to me.. Especially when I have 4 applications doing background operations which are NOT showing up.

    What I suspect is that the background apps are "always running" so they don't show as launched, but when they're done they execute ZLauncher. Just a guess. I might exit ZLauncher overnight and reset the stats and see if the normal Launcher gets launched instead of ZLauncher. Just out of curiousity, I don't have any issues with my Treo.
  8. #8  
    khaytsus,

    So is the prog putting "unregistered" in some of the stat boxes? The info on their website made me think it might do that until it was registered (I didn't see indication of a timed trial period where it would operate in a fully functional mode).
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    I think you can use it unregistered for a while, but it puts "unregistered" in some data points... That's how I read the description.
    That is what happens. It randomly places them around the spreadsheet layout. I have installed it on my 680, and there are two programs that are really hogs. The worst is one called Launcher, which has taken up about 50% of total usage, and another one (named unregistered) which takes up about 25%. They seem to be increasing whether I am using the device of not. Anyone know what Launcher is?

  10. #10  
    Obviously it's the Launcher.... That which launches programs?

    I noticed the same thing, except ZLauncher (because it's my default launcher) so I bet what's happening is the default launcher is launched every time a program exits, background apps included, so it's launched a lot. Sucks the second one is listed as unregistered, is it always the same, or does the "unregistered' bounce around?
  11.    #11  
    No, it's the same program. I just installed this program on my 650, and have noticed that Launcher is one of the lowest ranked programs on it. Will have to wait a couple of days to see how it does over all, but my guess it that it won't be as bad as the 680.

  12. #12  
    So the second program listed always has its name replaced with "unregistered"?

    If so, how could you tell how well this app works before plunking down cash? Guess I could install the trial and see.
  13.    #13  
    I have come to the conclusion that the big hog on the resources for the 680 is the Launcher app. That is determined by the AppLog program. I installed the demo version which does blank out some of the data fields. But in the time I had it installed, Launcher accounted for almost 72% of the time on the device (over 7000seconds, with the longest on time of 1636). The second most active as AppLog, it took about 12% of the time. This was over a three day period with normal phone use. I tried it on two 680s and had nearly identical results. Compared to the 650 I had, Launcher only accounted for 3% of the device use, and AppLog was the main user of resources, but the same amount as on the 680s, about 12%. To get a more complete result I should probably cough up the fee for AppLog, but why should I do Palm's research and trouble shooting for them.

    What does this show? Well, it appears for some unknown reason that Launcher is constantly and/or continiously activating itself. For what reason, I have no way of knowing. It would also appear that whatever Launcher is activating causes a drain on the system, but I can't tell if it is the same program or not. That might account for the inconsistent results that we are all getting with regards to battery life.

    Well, I'm committed to the 680 now. I posted my 650 for sale on Craigslist about 10 days ago and didn't get any takers till tonight. The prices on the 650s are going down (so many used ones on the market) so I was lucky to get my asking price. Now it's time to get the 680 working.

  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by sblanter View Post
    So the second program listed always has its name replaced with "unregistered"?

    If so, how could you tell how well this app works before plunking down cash? Guess I could install the trial and see.
    It appears that some of the unreg fields are fixed and some float. If you use more programs, it also seems to add more.

  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72 View Post
    I have come to the conclusion that the big hog on the resources for the 680 is the Launcher app. That is determined by the AppLog program. I installed the demo version which does blank out some of the data fields. But in the time I had it installed, Launcher accounted for almost 72% of the time on the device (over 7000seconds, with the longest on time of 1636). The second most active as AppLog, it took about 12% of the time. This was over a three day period with normal phone use. I tried it on two 680s and had nearly identical results. Compared to the 650 I had, Launcher only accounted for 3% of the device use, and AppLog was the main user of resources, but the same amount as on the 680s, about 12%. To get a more complete result I should probably cough up the fee for AppLog, but why should I do Palm's research and trouble shooting for them.

    What does this show? Well, it appears for some unknown reason that Launcher is constantly and/or continiously activating itself. For what reason, I have no way of knowing. It would also appear that whatever Launcher is activating causes a drain on the system, but I can't tell if it is the same program or not. That might account for the inconsistent results that we are all getting with regards to battery life.

    Well, I'm committed to the 680 now. I posted my 650 for sale on Craigslist about 10 days ago and didn't get any takers till tonight. The prices on the 650s are going down (so many used ones on the market) so I was lucky to get my asking price. Now it's time to get the 680 working.

    Does the full version tell you the time of the events? The Launcher might be stuck in a loop for some reason.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72 View Post
    I have come to the conclusion that the big hog on the resources for the 680 is the Launcher app
    Completely invalid conclusion. Read my previous posts.
  17. #17  
    I tend to agree with Khaytsus. You don't know if apps running in the background are periodically invoking Launcher.
  18. #18  
    And what's this about whatever Launcher is invoking causing an increased drain of resources (or however you put it)?
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    Completely invalid conclusion. Read my previous posts.
    This conclusion was based on the data that was in the program. Of all of the applications that were used, Launcher logged more time than any others. Based on the % of use from the program, it used 75%. It logged more that 7000 seconds of access. The next closest one was AppLog with around 1200 seconds.

    I have no programs running in the background, nothing accessing the Internet or email or anything. No multimedia programs running, nothing, nada, zip. The only reason I used AppLog was to see what programs were causing some many database hits in BatteryGraph, which doesn't give that information. I also compared this to the 650 that I used to have. Same applications installed on both phones and the results showed that Launcher didn't have anywhere near the activity in AppLog. In fact it was one of the lowest rated ones at only 2-3%.

    So lacking anymore information, there is something that is causing Launcher to "turn on". Since I have the same programs running on both phones, the only logical conclusion is that Launcher is at fault. Now whether it is faulty code, a firmware glitch, a hardware bug, who knows. I am convinced that it is a major part of the problem. Now whether it is a symptom of the problem, or the problem itself, the only ones that can answer that are the folks at Palm.

    If someone has a better answer, I'm all ears.


  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by sblanter View Post
    And what's this about whatever Launcher is invoking causing an increased drain of resources (or however you put it)?
    Here is the quote:

    "What does this show? Well, it appears for some unknown reason that Launcher is constantly and/or continiously activating itself. For what reason, I have no way of knowing. It would also appear that whatever Launcher is activating causes a drain on the system, but I can't tell if it is the same program or not. That might account for the inconsistent results that we are all getting with regards to battery life. "

    What I said is that Launcher it running. Why? I don't know. Is it activating some program to run? I can't tell that either. But for the amount of time it is hogging resources, it seems to make sense that it is a major culprit in the battery drain.


    If you look at the Events in DB on BatteryGraph (which number in the thousands on my phone, almost 134kb of data) and then look at the program that is logging the most activity in AppLog (Launcher), you can conclude there is some connection. Now neither of these programs are in-depth analysis programs, but they do give enough information to draw some conlcusions. If you think mine are wrong, then run the tests yourself and see what you come up with. The same programs running on a 650 (with the same apps installed as the 680) show a small amount of events in the database (less than 200) for BatteryGraph and only 2-3% activity for Launcher in AppLog. Gee, you think that there might be something here that is funny? Or possibly a direction on which way to look for a solution?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions