1.    #1  
    Just got the Mobile-10 and have not yet been able to get a successful handoff to my Jabra JX-10 when a call comes in (or while initiating a call for that matter) to my treo 700p.

While navigating, I can hear the "chirp" (ringing) in the JX-10 in my ear, but when I touch the screen to answer the call, the sound still gets routed to the treo speaker and I have to pick up the handset.

That said, I like many of you have experienced that exact same symptom long before the GPS came along in my setup. The solution: 1) turn off bluetooth, 2) turn off JX-10, 3) soft reset treo, 4) enable BT, 5) turn on JX-10 always works to fix that problem, but not in this case with the Mobile-10 involved.

Any evidence that this is possible will keep me motivated to try more scenarios to get this working seamlessly

JG
    I don't have an answer to your question, but I think you're the first person on this board to say they actually have the new Mobile 10 (as opposed to the older GPS 10 that is well covered on this board.) I hope you'll post your impressions of the Mobile 10. Probably it should be in a new thread, for example "The official Garmin Mobile 10 GPS for Treo thread."
    I've been checking these boards every day for any comments about Garmin Mobile 10 & am glad to see someone else has it! I read lots of posts here over the last month or so about Garmin & Tom Tom & I decided I wanted to go with Garmin, so I asked for it for Christmas. Lo & behold my husband actually bought it, & I've been working with it for the last few days. I've been having problems though with some random resets & have been checking to see if anyone else has had this problem, although I know this is so new I don't know how many others even have it yet.

I'm using a Sprint Treo 650. Initially I installed Mobile 10 with about 14 mb free, had some issues, so I did a complete wipe of my Treo & installed it with 23 mb free. I'm in the process of putting apps back on & making sure everything is nice & clean (it had been quite a while & lots of installs & uninstalls of programs so now was as good a time as any).

The two main issues I've been having were random resets during routings, & my backup program (BackupMan) bombing out during backups. I finally figured out today which two files to exclude during backups & I can use BackupMan again (it was making me very frustrated!), but the random resets are still occurring - and I don't like having to exclude files from a backup. I've emailed Garmin about the resets but so far haven't had any luck. The first email I sent (I think on the 26th) was responded to with the standard "Make sure your firmware is up to date" - (mine was one iteration behind & I updated it tonight, but still had a random reset after that), as well as "Also note that you MUST have 8 megs of free space just to RUN the que program. If you only just have 8 free or have a bit less then you may see lock ups or resets as the program might not have enough free memory to operate properly." It would have been nice to have had this information prior to installing, in case I didn't have enough free memory - I did just find it on the outside of the box (in small print) but it would have been nice to find it prominently specified in the documentation.

My initial impression of the software (keep in mind I've no prior experience with GPS, just plenty of experience getting lost!) is that it's pretty darn cool. I have to say I'm a bit frustrated though, with the following:

1. There's no actual manual, even on the Garmin website (although according to the booklet you can find it on the site - but the site says it's not available). With this type of product I love to read through the manual first thing, & I really miss that. There's a "set up and go!" booklet, but that's really all it is - a booklet, not a manual. There's some help in the program itself but not with the kind of detail I like. There are also an awful lot *.prc files on the cd but not a lot of explanation as to which files you might actually want to use. There's an installer program that starts up when you put in the cd, but I went looking at the contents of the cd & was surprised there were so many directories with files in them. The installer also seems to think my Treo is a Que something or other.

2. There was an updated software link on the Garmin website just a few days ago, but I checked again today & now it's gone. I'm not sure what that means.

3. The random resets. I tried out the GPS right away on the 26th while I was running errands, & had resets a couple of times. I've also tried simulating routes at home & again had some resets. Now today, I installed on a completely clean Treo & was just setting up some things in Mobile XT & again had a reset.

As far as the software is concerned, I was surprised the satellite fix isn't more accurate. My house number is 261 - when I had a mapped route from my grocery store to my house, it thought my house was 2 houses down the street from where I live (I kept driving just to find out when it would say I had reached my destination). Now since I know where I live that wasn't a problem, but it surprised me. I'm also able to get a satellite signal in my living room, but it thinks my house number is anywhere from 307 to 311. If I walk the length of my main floor it goes up to 313 - my house just isn't that big!

As I've seen mentioned with some of these GPS units, if your addresses aren't entered "just so" in your address book the software will have problems with it. I tried mapping routes to some of my contacts' addresses, & ran into the same thing. However, it's not hard to select "Back" a few times & put in the city, house number & street name, then it's able to map it. I'll have to spend some time fiddling with my contacts' addresses to see if I can make them more acceptable, so Garmin will be able to find them. Once you map a route you can add it to your list of Locations so you can pull it up easily again.

Yesterday it was very handy to use the Garmin software to find a nearby gas station - I was able to see a list of all the gas stations nearby & what the recent gas prices were. The only issue there was that some of the prices said they were current as of 5 days ago, some said they were current as of a day ago, so you may find that the price has gone up since it was last reported. In my case the gas price at the station I chose had actually gone down rather than up.

I also had a slight issue when installing the map files, although that was really my inexperience (although again, a manual might have helped....). I live in Minnesota & when I first installed the software to my Treo I only installed the MN map, in addition to the default "Worldwide Routable Base Map". The next day I thought, hey, I think I'll add a few surrounding states, so I installed WI, IA, etc. - but I didn't select MN again since I figured it was already there.

Later in the day when I was out running errands I thought I'd try my GPS again, & was shocked to find that MN was no longer installed. I didn't realize that each time you install a map set you're not adding to what you've already installed, you're overwriting the previous map set. This may be a beginner's mistake but I figure it's worth mentioning.
  4.    #4  
    Great first review. I'll start a new thread in a couple more days once I've played with it some more (and when I'm not sitting in a dentist's chair waiting for a filling!! not kidding)
    Quote Originally Posted by pconley View Post
    1. There's no actual manual, even on the Garmin website (although according to the booklet you can find it on the site - but the site says it's not available). With this type of product I love to read through the manual first thing, & I really miss that. There's a "set up and go!" booklet, but that's really all it is - a booklet, not a manual.

3. The random resets. I tried out the GPS right away on the 26th while I was running errands, & had resets a couple of times. I've also tried simulating routes at home & again had some resets. Now today, I installed on a completely clean Treo & was just setting up some things in Mobile XT & again had a reset.
    Actually there is an on-line manual: http://www.garmin.com/support/downlo...ls.jsp?id=1525. It's supposed to be the manual for the Pocket PC version, but its mostly valid for Palm also. It's odd to have a pdf imbedded in a .exe file, but it works. If you have trouble with the link, pm me and I'll email you the pdf file.

Also, about the resets - I found the same when I tried Mobile XT on my 650. Mobile XT software does a lot of things that Que doesn't, but Que has (comparatively speaking) a very small memory footprint, works well as a basic gps mapping program, is quick, and just doesn't crash. Period. If you don't use the 3D view or the on-line services much, you might want to consider the down-grade to Que software with your upgraded (compared to my GPS 10) Mobile 10 receiver.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobodobo View Post
    Actually there is an on-line manual: http://www.garmin.com/support/downlo...ls.jsp?id=1525. It's supposed to be the manual for the Pocket PC version, but its mostly valid for Palm also. It's odd to have a pdf imbedded in a .exe file, but it works. If you have trouble with the link, pm me and I'll email you the pdf file.

Also, about the resets - I found the same when I tried Mobile XT on my 650. Mobile XT software does a lot of things that Que doesn't, but Que has (comparatively speaking) a very small memory footprint, works well as a basic gps mapping program, is quick, and just doesn't crash. Period. If you don't use the 3D view or the on-line services much, you might want to consider the down-grade to Que software with your upgraded (compared to my GPS 10) Mobile 10 receiver.
    Thanks, bobodobo. I was hoping to hear from you since you seem to be really knowledgeable about Garmin's gps. FYI, the booklet (did I mention that it's only 16 pages, including the specs & all the legal stuff - and about half of it is about using nRoute on your laptop?) included with Mobile 10 says I can find a manual at www.garmin.com/products/garminmobile10, then click on the "Manuals" link. When you click on that link, it says "No manuals are currently available for this product. Please check back for updates." - so the link you provided is actually quite helpful even though it's not specifically for Palm. I'm looking at the Pocket PC manual & even though it's only 28 pages, there's a lot of detail here that isn't in the booklet in my box...

Regarding Que - I'd definitely be interested in trying that if they don't get these crashes resolved, but at this point I have no clue how to downgrade to that software. I may be getting back to you on this..... What things does Mobile 10 do that Que doesn't? Can you list a few of the differences?

Thanks again, I appreciate the help.
    Glad to be of service.

The main downsides of Que are: no 3D view, no on-line services, no integration with Palm's contacts (though it's iffy even with Mobile XT) and less support for the 5-way button (in favor of large on-screen buttons in XT). Check this post for details.

I suspect that you could just use the Mobile XT's "uninstall" button from the Setup program, then download Que from Garmin's website and install it. This presumes that Que will understand the Mobile 10 receiver and recognize it as a valid unit for the hardware key. In the past, Garmin's products have been very good in terms of foreward and backward compatibility (I've used 6 year old Garmin-branded topo map CD ROMs with Que and Mobile XT) but of course I can't be sure Que + Mobile 10 receiver works since I haven't tried it myself.

I'll be on vacation for a week (using my Garmin devices of course) so you're on your own for a while...
    Quote Originally Posted by pconley View Post
    I've been checking these boards every day for any comments about Garmin Mobile 10 & am glad to see someone else has it! I read lots of posts here over the last month or so about Garmin & Tom Tom & I decided I wanted to go with Garmin, so I asked for it for Christmas. Lo & behold my husband actually bought it, & I've been working with it for the last few days. I've been having problems though with some random resets & have been checking to see if anyone else has had this problem, although I know this is so new I don't know how many others even have it yet.

I'm using a Sprint Treo 650. Initially I installed Mobile 10 with about 14 mb free, had some issues, so I did a complete wipe of my Treo & installed it with 23 mb free. I'm in the process of putting apps back on & making sure everything is nice & clean (it had been quite a while & lots of installs & uninstalls of programs so now was as good a time as any).

The two main issues I've been having were random resets during routings, & my backup program (BackupMan) bombing out during backups. I finally figured out today which two files to exclude during backups & I can use BackupMan again (it was making me very frustrated!), but the random resets are still occurring - and I don't like having to exclude files from a backup. I've emailed Garmin about the resets but so far haven't had any luck. The first email I sent (I think on the 26th) was responded to with the standard "Make sure your firmware is up to date" - (mine was one iteration behind & I updated it tonight, but still had a random reset after that), as well as "Also note that you MUST have 8 megs of free space just to RUN the que program. If you only just have 8 free or have a bit less then you may see lock ups or resets as the program might not have enough free memory to operate properly." It would have been nice to have had this information prior to installing, in case I didn't have enough free memory - I did just find it on the outside of the box (in small print) but it would have been nice to find it prominently specified in the documentation.

My initial impression of the software (keep in mind I've no prior experience with GPS, just plenty of experience getting lost!) is that it's pretty darn cool. I have to say I'm a bit frustrated though, with the following:

1. There's no actual manual, even on the Garmin website (although according to the booklet you can find it on the site - but the site says it's not available). With this type of product I love to read through the manual first thing, & I really miss that. There's a "set up and go!" booklet, but that's really all it is - a booklet, not a manual. There's some help in the program itself but not with the kind of detail I like. There are also an awful lot *.prc files on the cd but not a lot of explanation as to which files you might actually want to use. There's an installer program that starts up when you put in the cd, but I went looking at the contents of the cd & was surprised there were so many directories with files in them. The installer also seems to think my Treo is a Que something or other.

2. There was an updated software link on the Garmin website just a few days ago, but I checked again today & now it's gone. I'm not sure what that means.

As far as the software is concerned, I was surprised the satellite fix isn't more accurate. My house number is 261 - when I had a mapped route from my grocery store to my house, it thought my house was 2 houses down the street from where I live (I kept driving just to find out when it would say I had reached my destination). Now since I know where I live that wasn't a problem, but it surprised me. I'm also able to get a satellite signal in my living room, but it thinks my house number is anywhere from 307 to 311. If I walk the length of my main floor it goes up to 313 - my house just isn't that big!

As I've seen mentioned with some of these GPS units, if your addresses aren't entered "just so" in your address book the software will have problems with it. I tried mapping routes to some of my contacts' addresses, & ran into the same thing. However, it's not hard to select "Back" a few times & put in the city, house number & street name, then it's able to map it. I'll have to spend some time fiddling with my contacts' addresses to see if I can make them more acceptable, so Garmin will be able to find them. Once you map a route you can add it to your list of Locations so you can pull it up easily again.

Yesterday it was very handy to use the Garmin software to find a nearby gas station - I was able to see a list of all the gas stations nearby & what the recent gas prices were. The only issue there was that some of the prices said they were current as of 5 days ago, some said they were current as of a day ago, so you may find that the price has gone up since it was last reported. In my case the gas price at the station I chose had actually gone down rather than up.

I also had a slight issue when installing the map files, although that was really my inexperience (although again, a manual might have helped....). I live in Minnesota & when I first installed the software to my Treo I only installed the MN map, in addition to the default "Worldwide Routable Base Map". The next day I thought, hey, I think I'll add a few surrounding states, so I installed WI, IA, etc. - but I didn't select MN again since I figured it was already there.

Later in the day when I was out running errands I thought I'd try my GPS again, & was shocked to find that MN was no longer installed. I didn't realize that each time you install a map set you're not adding to what you've already installed, you're overwriting the previous map set. This may be a beginner's mistake but I figure it's worth mentioning.
    I got Mobile 10 right before Christmas. It completely crashed my phone (I, too, have a Sprint 650) and I had to re-install everything. I get the occasional reset. I did receive a messsage saying my software version was incorrect when re-installing. I e-mailed Garmin and was told there was no update (YES, it was on there website). The second response I got they told me it had to do with my phone, not there software. Then why did they post an update?

Earlier this morning my phone didn't recognize that I had the expansion card inserted. I did a reset and it's ok.

Overall, I like it - when it is working - I tend to get resets when I shut the program down, though.

It didn't recognize a lot my contact addresses, so I went through one by one and set the gps location for each address.
    I just wanted to post and you all know that you're not alone! I just got my Garmin Mobile 10 and use it with my Palm T/X. Like the rest of you using the Treos, I have experienced random resets while navigating and closing the Garmin XT software. My sense is that it is a RAM issue. If I reset the device prior to using the GPS then I don't seem to have the reset issue, but any other "running" programs cause the Palm to reset. My T/X works with my blue tooth phone; however, dialing from the T/X during navigation causes a reset. When I stop navigating and exit the program, the T/X simply resets. This is, as many of you have been saying, frustrating. I have looked for any type of "hotfix" without luck. I contacted Garmin support, who I will say responded very quickly, and here is their response:

"Thank you for contacting GARMIN International. I have reviewed the problem,
    and it would be my pleasure to help you with this issue!

It is likely that the phone did not get a complete reset after the
    installation, to complete initialization of the software. If you check your
    manual or technical support for the manufacturer, you should be able to find
    the means to perform a simple hard reset and reinstall the software.

I hope this solution meets your needs, but if you need further assistance
    please feel free to email back or to call our customer service line, listed
    below.

Best Regards,
    Logan S.
    Technical Support Specialist- Second Shift
    GARMIN International
    1200 East 151st. Street
    Olathe, KS 66062
    1-800-800-1020 (Monday-Friday 8am-5pm CST)
    913-397-8200
    TechSupp@garmin.com
    www.garmin.com"

I did a hard reset and re-install as mentioned above; however, as of today, the T/X still resets. So, you guys and gals are not alone and the Treo is not the only Palm device experiencing problems with the new Mobile 10. Chances are that the solutions may be similar, we just haven't found them yet. Good luck and Happy New Year.
    I'm at my wit's end....
    I received a response this morning from Tech Support at Garmin that there's a stable beta update, so when I got home from work I was excited to download & install it. The first problem is that the directions on the page aren't correct - they say you have to uninstall the old software before installing the update, but I ran into a problem so I called Tech Support. They said, no - it's an update so I would need to re-install the software that came on the cd & then I could install the update....

The next issue I ran into is that I haven't been able to get the software re-installed, so I can't install the update. I keep getting a message telling me I'm missing files, so I tried restoring my Treo from a backup, & I even tried a hard reset & then re-installing the software, but I'm still getting the same message. I emailed Garmin again tonight & told them I'm literally ready to cry, I was better off with the random resets - at least I could use Mobile XT, but now I can't. I'm so bummed, I don't know if they'll be able to help or if it somehow wrecked my phone?

I finally decided that at least I could continue using my phone for everything else until I hear back from Garmin, but now I seem to be stuck in a hotsync cycle - it starts the process & either it's really going to take forever or it's hosed up. The "HotSync Progress" window on my computer looks like it's doing something, but my phone looks like it's stuck.... again (I already exited out & tried again once tonight when it looked like it was stuck).

I'm thinking of another hard reset & then trying to hotsync again but I hate to keep doing that.....I have backups & all but I'm afraid of losing something important.

This is so frustrating!!!
    OK, so now I'm replying to myself.....

Anyway, I thought I'd post an update. I wasn't able to resolve the Hotsync issue I was having last night so I cancelled out of it on both my phone & pc, unplugged it & went to bed. I don't know what that was about but I'm not going to worry about it right now.....

Regarding Garmin, one thing they have going for them is fast responses from Tech Support. I checked my email this morning on the way to work (I wasn't driving!) and there was a response to my message to them from last night. They said:
    "Due to the fact that this unit is still very new, we are coming across different scenarios with different phones that require additional troubleshooting & different methods to correct issues. Because of this, I suggest you give us a call...... so that we can troubleshoot the issue & get the software installed correctly on your phone....."

They suggested calling closer to 8 AM central time to avoid long hold times, but I'll try them tonight when I get home to see if they're available - otherwise I'll go in to work late so I can call them first thing tomorrow.

I'll post additional info. once I have any.
    I just posted in another thread. Once I did a hard reset, all installed fine and so far (gasp) no resets.

As for the Jabra question, I don't believe you can use BT headsets while running the BT GPS.

Pamela
    Using my treo 650 for business:
    DesignExtend.com
    Anyone can please direct me to how to make my treo 700wx work with the Mobile 10. It pair the devices ok, but the gps does not work.
    Cannot unlock the maps and GPS does not work.
    Garmin support has not been able to help me.
    Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by lghitis View Post
    Anyone can please direct me to how to make my treo 700wx work with the Mobile 10. It pair the devices ok, but the gps does not work.
    Cannot unlock the maps and GPS does not work.
    Garmin support has not been able to help me.
    Thanks.
    Hi.

Obviously you are using the Windows Mobile Treo, so all us Palm OS users can not help directly.

But I assume the principles are the same, so here goes.

The "unlocking" of the maps is done via a hardware key that the Garmin BT GPS receiver give out to your software.

Once you have 100% paired the BT unit to your Garmin software the maps should then show up, assuming you have installed them to your card. Before then the maps will seem to be invisible.

Perhaps you have paired to your Treo Hardware, but not the Garmin software ?

Have you installed a base map, as I seem to think the base map will show, and perhaps route, without having to be unlocked. ?? That may only be a Palm thing using the old GPS-10 deluxe set up ??

So if I were you I would try and make sure you are paired to the software. Does it show the BT units battery level, as that is the first thing that shows when it connects?
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    Thanks for the detailed response.
    Unfortunately all those steps I have followed while I am with some of the senior techs of Garmin. After installing the newer version of Mobile TX, and installing and unlocking the maps without problem, somehow I am unable to enable the GPS component because some "bluetooth files of mobile XT are missing. They recommend not to pair the devices, but allowed the treo to discover the receiver when the program is started. However, even after I paired them and I can "see the receiver in my bluetooth connections, the software is not able to get the GPS working and hence neither the maps.
    i wonder if The treo 700wx may not be compatible with this product.

Thanks again.