1.    #1  
    I had to do a hard reset recently. I synched my Treo 680 just before the a restore, however upon restore, the photos and images that were stored on the handheld (as opposed to the ones on the SD card) were not restored. What is the .pdb file in which those images are stored? I may need to manually restore it to the 680.
    Those that are in main memory are not normally backed up by most backup applications. That being the case, prior to taking a picture, move to the right and select or create a folder on the SD card /DCIM/new folder.

Ben
    they should be backed up on your pc when you hotsync. I think its somewhere in c:/program files/palm... look around and you should see a subdirectory with something resembling your hotsync name. look in there and you should find the photos. actually its an interesting area to dig around for old files you deleted from your Palm. they are all there in archives (a reminder of how we used to search for old data on the PalmPilot).
    Quote Originally Posted by ekerbuddy View Post
    they should be backed up on your pc when you hotsync.
    They only get backed up in a hotsync if you're using the Palm Desktop software that came on the CD in the box. If you're using the downloaded, generic version of Palm Desktop from Palm's website, pictures and videos are not backed up.
    On your PC check C:/Documents and Settings/your PC username/My Documents/My Pictures/palmOne Photos/a shortened hotsync username/Internal

On your Treo they're in a hidden "drive" called BuiltIn in the Photos and Videos or something like that..you can see it using Resco explorer and probably Filez as well
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
  6.    #6  
    I'm using pilot-link on Linux, and I've never synched using the Palm software on Windows (except for the very first time I booted the Treo 680 just to make sure I got all the apps). It certainly appears that pilot-link can't "see" that "hidden" drive. Grrr. I wish Palm wouldn't do that kind of thing and break third-party apps.

I tried finding the file it was saving to to using FileZ, but I couldn't work out where it was. I tried creating a large movie on the handheld and then sorting FileZ by file size and recently modified, but nothing seemed to have changed. Perhaps FileZ can't "see" those drives. What does it look like in FileZ?
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    Those that are in main memory are not normally backed up by most backup applications. That being the case, prior to taking a picture, move to the right and select or create a folder on the SD card /DCIM/new folder.
    Hmm, good to know that now, but it doesn't help me after that I did a hard-reset before copying them to the SD card. I'm still hoping that they are somewhere buried in a .pdb file somewhere from my last backup before the hard reset.
    No, they're not, I told you that on IRC.

Get an SD card and change the default place to save the photos to there.. Saves ram and they don't go anywhere if you hard reset. That said, does the 680 maintain this setting, unlike the 650 which reverted back to saving to ram every soft reset?
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    Get an SD card and change the default place to save the photos to there.. Saves ram and they don't go anywhere if you hard reset. That said, does the 680 maintain this setting, unlike the 650 which reverted back to saving to ram every soft reset?
    I have an SD card, and I am now saving them there. I would much prefer to save them in the phone because I normally fill my SD card to capacity with music and the photos don't take up much room, so storing them on the phone makes sense to me. It's bad that Palm doesn't make a sensible way for third-party apps (like pilot-link, or others it would seem) virtual "BUILTIN" filesystem.

Also it appears that the the SD is *always* selected (if an SD card is present) every time the photo or camera app is opened, and the "Palm" album on either the internal or SD card is chosen regardless of what it was set to previously. Basically there is no way to override the default location for where photos are stored on the 680 it seems.
  10.    #10  
    Also it is possible to see the BUILTIN filesystem where the Treo 680 stores the photos in FileZ if you enable the show "Hidden Volumes" option in FileZ's "Preferences".

The photos and videos are stored under "BUILTIN/DCIM", just for future reference if somebody stumbles across this thread.
    I do not have a folder BUILIN/DCIM (I can see the BUILIN folder in filez).

Nevertheless I have some fotos stored with my contacts. (The folder /DCIM on the sd card is empty.)

Here the way how I attach pictures to the contacts:

I use the keysuite from chapura, open a contact select picture, select camera, take the foto and store the contact.
    After a hotsync this picture is shown in outlook. After a second hotsync this picture is also shown in the telefon application of the palm. (I have the outlook overwrites palm option in pocketmirror enabled...)
    Where are the pictures stored on my palm ???
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Hasloewer View Post
    I do not have a folder BUILIN/DCIM (I can see the BUILIN folder in filez).
    I think the DCIM folder will only be present if you have some photos which are stored on the hand-held in the Photos and Movies application (either moved there from the SD card or taken with the camera). Try taking a photo with the camera directly and storing on the Palm (rather than the SD card), and see if the DCIM subdirectory of BUILTIN appears in FileZ.

I think the photos for the contacts are probably stored in the Contacts database (Contacts*.pdb) because I notice that those photos were *not* lost when I did my original hard reset.
    Last edited by blarney; 12/31/2006 at 06:33 AM. Reason: typo, note taking a photo test
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    I'm pretty sure the photos are stored in a YUV format in a database by default. They are pulled out and converted when you want to view them (RGB format) or sent to the SD (JPG format).
    Quote Originally Posted by juancuero View Post
    I'm pretty sure the photos are stored in a YUV format in a database by default. They are pulled out and converted when you want to view them (RGB format) or sent to the SD (JPG format).
    Rubbish. They're jpg's, either in ram or on the SD card. On the 650, I can't speak directly for others.