Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 34
  1.    #1  
    Now that I have my hands on a 680, I'm going to start looking at a ROM tool for it (as well as releasing the cross-platform 650 one I promised a while back). Unfortunately, the 680's bootloader looks like it has been crippled like the Lifedrive's was, so it's going to take a while to figure out how to safely update ROMs.

    If anyone has any extra information on how to get a USB console connected to the bootloader, let me know. The 700p folks are lucky and still have a working bootloader :P
  2.    #2  
    Does anyone have access to a Palm serial cable? I think the new bootloader uses the serial connection instead of USB, making it tougher to access...
  3. #3  
    I don't have one, but I think there are instructions on shadowmites site that tell how to make one. I will see if I can find them.
  4. #4  
    I don't have one but I have considered this one. https://serialio.com//store/product_...34dd0a62eb502b

    If I get it what should I do to test? Or do I need to send it it to you?
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by mmastrac View Post
    Now that I have my hands on a 680, I'm going to start looking at a ROM tool for it (as well as releasing the cross-platform 650 one I promised a while back). Unfortunately, the 680's bootloader looks like it has been crippled like the Lifedrive's was, so it's going to take a while to figure out how to safely update ROMs.

    If anyone has any extra information on how to get a USB console connected to the bootloader, let me know. The 700p folks are lucky and still have a working bootloader :P
    I see you go from 700p to 680 now. The progress for 700p was stalled. I wonder about this one too.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by kocoman View Post
    I see you go from 700p to 680 now. The progress for 700p was stalled. I wonder about this one too.
    I never owned a 700p personally, so it was tough to get anywhere. I'm hoping that the firmware dump from the 700p helps me with the 680, but the lack of bootloader access is a bit troubling
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesgangut View Post
    I don't have one but I have considered this one. https://serialio.com//store/product_...34dd0a62eb502b

    If I get it what should I do to test? Or do I need to send it it to you?
    I'm hoping that we get a basic bootloader prompt in the mtty program after hooking up a serial cable. If I'm not mistaken, Palm has just ported over their simple recovery bootloader from the Lifedrive. If so, I'm hoping I can figure out a way to bootstrap my mini ARM environment and get access to the flash.

    It might be better for anyone already with a serial cable to test out the bootloader to see if you can access it first - I'd hate for someone to get a serial cable and find out that the bootloader only reads the SD card.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by dbarrett5381 View Post
    I don't have one, but I think there are instructions on shadowmites site that tell how to make one. I will see if I can find them.
    Shadowmite's instructions call for a FutureDial cable (one of the LG ones I believe) and some custom wiring. I've been keeping my eyes out for one up here in Canada, but I'm not sure who stocks that brand.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by mmastrac View Post
    Does anyone have access to a Palm serial cable? I think the new bootloader uses the serial connection instead of USB, making it tougher to access...
    I build a serial cable by changing the connector of a Treo 600 serial cable. I bought a Treo 600 serial cable from Ebay, and a Treo 650 USB cable (just to get a connector). Then I simply "swapped" the connectors from T600 to T650. I got the connector pinout from the internet...
    It works with no problem with my Treo 650 ... and it was much cheaper than buying a T650 serial cable...

    Hope this helps...
  10. #10  
    I'm hoping to put the treo 650 phone app in the 680. someone get onto Shadowmite...
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by fasuin View Post
    I build a serial cable by changing the connector of a Treo 600 serial cable. I bought a Treo 600 serial cable from Ebay, and a Treo 650 USB cable (just to get a connector). Then I simply "swapped" the connectors from T600 to T650. I got the connector pinout from the internet...
    It works with no problem with my Treo 650 ... and it was much cheaper than buying a T650 serial cable...

    Hope this helps...
    I got a T680. I tested the home-made serial cable with it and it works with no problem, i.e., the t680 can hotsync via serial connection.
    So I tried to put the T680 into the bootload screen (as I used to do with the T650): performed a reset while pressing the hotsync button on the USB cable.

    The screen goes black, the led becomes red then blinks, but the screen keeps black instead of getting the rainbow screen.

    I checked with the HyperTerminal if the Treo send any strings via the serial interface... but nothing is shown. Notice that if I start a hotsych with the serial cable, I do see characters in the HyperTerminal...

    So it seems it doesn't work...

    What test should I perform?
    I tried with 9600Baud, which seems to work if I hotsynch. May ba other I should try speed?
    Should I send a particular string to the device?

    Hope this helps.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by fasuin View Post
    I got a T680. I tested the home-made serial cable with it and it works with no problem, i.e., the t680 can hotsync via serial connection.
    So I tried to put the T680 into the bootload screen (as I used to do with the T650): performed a reset while pressing the hotsync button on the USB cable.

    The screen goes black, the led becomes red then blinks, but the screen keeps black instead of getting the rainbow screen.

    I checked with the HyperTerminal if the Treo send any strings via the serial interface... but nothing is shown. Notice that if I start a hotsych with the serial cable, I do see characters in the HyperTerminal...

    So it seems it doesn't work...

    What test should I perform?
    I tried with 9600Baud, which seems to work if I hotsynch. May ba other I should try speed?
    Should I send a particular string to the device?

    Hope this helps.
    Try 115200, 8 N 1. Also, see if you get any response from hitting Ctrl+A or enter a few times.
  13.    #13  
    Also, here's some stuff from the LifeDrive bootloader - this is what I think we have here too.

    http://hackndev.com/node/41
  14. #14  
    FYI: sparkfun.com sells some nice rs232 and usb to 3.3v serial adapter modules for fairly cheap that could be substituted for the LG cable.
  15. #15  
    The 650 boots GPE right? I wonder if they ever got it to make and receive phone calls. The cellular radio actually uses AT commands.

    It would be cool if we can get linux on this. When ALP/FuturePalmOS comes out, I dont think we will have an update to the 680 to run that.
    -----------------
    http://kunjan.net
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by pokey View Post
    FYI: sparkfun.com sells some nice rs232 and usb to 3.3v serial adapter modules for fairly cheap that could be substituted for the LG cable.
    This one looks good:

    http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/pro...roducts_id=718
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by mmastrac View Post
    Try 115200, 8 N 1. Also, see if you get any response from hitting Ctrl+A or enter a few times.
    So did some more testing

    1) set 115200, 8,N,1
    2) on the phone dialpad, I dialed #*UPST (which according to the shadowmite forum should activate the bootloader on the T650)
    3) the T680 replies with "Software download enabled" message

    From the hyperterminal I get a message
    *MRDY: 1

    4) typing (in the hyperteminal) anything but at gives nothing
    5) typing at get a OK
    at
    OK
    6) typing at<string> get alwayes error
    ate1
    ERROR

    7) performing a reset while pressing the hotsych button, the t680 screen goes black, red light on
    8) same as before: only at works, but when trying atx0x01 got a different message...

    atx0x01
    +CME ERROR: 4

    OK


    It seems that the bootloader is definetively using the serial connection, at 115200,8,N,1
    But commands are different from the lifedrive...
  18. #18  
    I don't know if this will help, but enabling tethered mode (#*tethered) with the serial cable will enable the passthrough, so that you have access to the modem...
    Here it follows what the T680 sent to the hyperterminal...

    [code]
    *MRDY: 1

    +CREG: 2

    *MRDY: 4

    +CREG: 1

    *MTSMENU: "Servizi Wind", 0, 12
    1:"MyWind",0
    2:"News",0
    3:"Oroscopo",0
    4:"Giochi e Chat",0
    5:"Sport",0
    6:"Eros",0
    7:"TV e Cinema",0
    8:"Meteo",0
    9:"Borsa",0
    10:"Buonumore",0
    11:"Lotterie",0
    12:"Trova",0

    *MVMIND: 1, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0

    +CGREG: 2

    +CGREG: 1

    *MTZ: 2, "01/20/2007, 15:32:16+04", 0

    *MRDY: 3
    [\code]
  19. #19  
    It seems you are talking to the GSM modem and not the bootloader? In hackndev.com there is a AT+C something command that they use to bring it out of "low power mode"


    Quote Originally Posted by fasuin View Post
    So did some more testing

    1) set 115200, 8,N,1
    2) on the phone dialpad, I dialed #*UPST (which according to the shadowmite forum should activate the bootloader on the T650)
    3) the T680 replies with "Software download enabled" message

    From the hyperterminal I get a message
    *MRDY: 1

    4) typing (in the hyperteminal) anything but at gives nothing
    5) typing at get a OK
    at
    OK
    6) typing at<string> get alwayes error
    ate1
    ERROR

    7) performing a reset while pressing the hotsych button, the t680 screen goes black, red light on
    8) same as before: only at works, but when trying atx0x01 got a different message...

    atx0x01
    +CME ERROR: 4

    OK


    It seems that the bootloader is definetively using the serial connection, at 115200,8,N,1
    But commands are different from the lifedrive...
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by kocoman View Post
    It seems you are talking to the GSM modem and not the bootloader? In hackndev.com there is a AT+C something command that they use to bring it out of "low power mode"
    Yes, I'll try to turn on the modem via the at+cfun=1 cmd. The strange thing is that whatever command you type, you get an error, except "at" and "atx"...
    There's a chance that some at command actually will enter the real bootloader on... any suggestion?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions