Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    It would be nice to have an option to remove those unwanted but locked programs on the 680, that's true.

However custom ROM development for the 680 may not be as pressing as it was for the 650 simply because for the 650, a custom ROM freeing up a mB of memory was a major thing, whereas for the 680 with twice the memory, freeing up a mB of memory is not as big a deal
    Quote Originally Posted by kocoman View Post
    It seems you are talking to the GSM modem and not the bootloader? In hackndev.com there is a AT+C something command that they use to bring it out of "low power mode"
    I tryed to turn the phone on using the
    at+fun=1

And ... unfortunately it worked, meaning no access to the bootload from the serial interface.

Here is a snapshot of what I got.

at
    OK
    at+cfun=1
    OK

+CREG: 2

+CGREG: 2

*MRDY: 4

+CREG: 1

*MTSMENU: "Servizi Wind", 0, 12
    1:"MyWind",0
    2:"News",0
    3:"Oroscopo",0
    4:"Giochi e Chat",0
    5:"Sport",0
    6:"Eros",0
    7:"TV e Cinema",0
    8:"Meteo",0
    9:"Borsa",0
    10:"Buonumore",0
    11:"Lotterie",0
    12:"Trova",0

MW01.50

OK

+CGREG: 1

*MTZ: 2, "01/24/2007, 20:23:23+04", 0

*MRDY: 3
  3.    #23  
    Yeah - I got the same thing with my serial cable too. I took a look into the boot sequence of the Palm and I have some bad news - it looks like the Palm ROM is going to be much harder to upgrade safely.

The bootloader is a direct connection to the GSM modem. If you go beyond that in the boot sequence, PalmOS boots. I tried pretty much every key sequence to get it to boot in any other mode, but it wouldn't work.

I might be able to hack up a ROM tool to edit ROMs in some other way, but it doesn't look promising at this point - at least not to do safely or without a serial cable.

Quick question - if the ROM tool required a serial cable, would this be a big barrier to most people?

I'm questioning at this point whether Palm intends to upgrade the ROM at all, or just to provide patches one-by-one like the camera patch.

Quote Originally Posted by fasuin View Post
    I tryed to turn the phone on using the
    at+fun=1

And ... unfortunately it worked, meaning no access to the bootload from the serial interface.

Here is a snapshot of what I got.
  4.    #24  
    The 680 has 64MB of NOR flash (XIP ROM Strataflash) in PalmCard format, 64MB of NAND user flash (formatted as FAT16) and 32MB of SDRAM. Being able to put hacks and other stuff into the NOR flash would be *huge*. The stuff in user flash uses up DBCache, but the stuff in ROM is essentially free because you don't need to copy it to RAM before running it.

Oh yeah - did I mention that Palm has only used about 30MB of 64MB ROM? There's a whole crapload of free storage just sitting there unused, unless Palm is planning on taking it up with AddIt downloads or something.

Quote Originally Posted by cellmatrix View Post
    It would be nice to have an option to remove those unwanted but locked programs on the 680, that's true.

However custom ROM development for the 680 may not be as pressing as it was for the 650 simply because for the 650, a custom ROM freeing up a mB of memory was a major thing, whereas for the 680 with twice the memory, freeing up a mB of memory is not as big a deal
    The only downside to the serial cable for me is speed. I would drop the $$ in a heart beat.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

Quote Originally Posted by jamesgangut View Post
    The only downside to the serial cable for me is speed. I would drop the $$ in a heart beat.
    not sure it will mush slower than the usb link... synching via USB or via serial is almost the same... serial at 230000 baud is pretty fast...
    Quote Originally Posted by mmastrac View Post
    I might be able to hack up a ROM tool to edit ROMs in some other way, but it doesn't look promising at this point - at least not to do safely or without a serial cable.
    Seems so. BTW, possibly the upgrade can happen via the SD... in that case you can come out with a solution that repack the upgrade starting from an official upgrade.
    I'm sure there will be some way to upgrade both phone firmware, and POS...

Quote Originally Posted by mmastrac View Post
    I'm questioning at this point whether Palm intends to upgrade the ROM at all, or just to provide patches one-by-one like the camera patch.
    The camera patch like is not going to rewrite the rom... indeed it just replaces the file that is being copied during the boot process in the ram. An hard reset will erase that patch...
    While this is ok for small patches, it will not work for a large upgrade...
    I guess we'll need to wait for the first official patch (if ever).
  8. sat
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    I've gotten linux kernel 2.6.16 running on the 680 (with keyboard support & gpe), with help from hackndev. I haven't gotten the modem working though... :-(

Perhaps you could find a way to dump the rom from linux?
    Quote Originally Posted by sat View Post
    I've gotten linux kernel 2.6.16 running on the 680 (with keyboard support & gpe), with help from hackndev. I haven't gotten the modem working though... :-(

Wow! Screenshots?
    -----------------
    http://kunjan.net
  10. sat
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kunjan View Post
    Wow! Screenshots?
    I don't have a screen shot, but I do have a dmesg...

http://prcs.textdriven.com/treo680dmesg.txt

;-)

GPE on 320x320 is nice... but without a working phone application, meh.
    I don't have a screen shot, but I do have a dmesg...

http://prcs.textdriven.com/treo680dmesg.txt

;-)

GPE on 320x320 is nice... but without a working phone application, meh.

wow! can't wait till the modem starts working!
    -----------------
  12. sat
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kunjan View Post
    wow! can't wait till the modem starts working!
    You're more than welcome to come and help with the project on freenode's #hackndev.

;-)
    You're more than welcome to come and help with the project on freenode's #hackndev.

;-)
    If I wasnt in college I could and would have surely helped. I could help with beta testing and stuff though. I will hit you up on #hackndev.
    -----------------
  14.    #34  

I've actually dumped the ROM through the Palm debugger. The real problem seems to be that they've gotten rid of the "safe mode" bootloader and replaced it with a phone passthrough that can't be used for recovery. From what I can tell, there aren't any secret key sequences that put us in a full recovery mode.

I think that a ROM tool would be pretty simple, but I'm afraid of bricking phones beyond repair. The big thing for me is having a way to recover your phone from bad flashes (which are common with ROM hacking).

At this point, I might just require people to have a serial cable to recover.... As long as the "small rom" debugger is still available, I should be able to recover any phone as long as it hasn't had its System or DAL files corrupted.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12