Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1.    #1  
    Please help, i thought i bought an unlocked phone but it's not.. i tried entering the *#*#12345678# code. which says after, the sim is unlocked.... but not the phone. please help benny
  2. #2  
    you thought you bought an unlocked? did you get it from cingular or palm? cingy doesn't offer unlocked.......only palm does ($399)
    What can I say? A girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do!
    Nokia 3360 -> Sony Ericsson t226 -> Sony Ericsson z500 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 680 -> AT&T Centro
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by brietling View Post
    Please help, i thought i bought an unlocked phone but it's not.. i tried entering the *#*#12345678# code. which says after, the sim is unlocked.... but not the phone. please help benny
    Unfortunately, that code never works You'll need to use an unlocking service like 680unlock.com to unlock your phone.

    Note that you shouldn't try random codes to unlock your phone. There's a possibility you might perma-lock it, though this has never been proven (are you really willing to risk it? )
    Last edited by mmastrac; 02/02/2007 at 10:51 PM.
  4. #4  
    Or, if you are a legitimate Cingular subscriber in good standing, you can call the tech support folks [go through the voicemail choices and get to technical help with phones]. If you ask nicely, they get your IMEI number and then give you the real 8-digit SIM Subsidy Unlock code for free. Just did it on my wife's and my new T680s. YMMV.
  5. #5  
    Jposin,
    HAd you used your T 680s for any length of time before obtaining the unlock codes? And if so have you noticed any considerable advanage in signal reception since "unlocking"?

    Oh yeah, and since unlocking do you actually have a menu option to select network from your main phone menu options?
    This PRE is MINE all MINE! But if you ask nice I might let you hold it!
  6. #6  
    No obvious difference after unlocking. And, NO, Cingular did not give us the network select option on their units [only on the Palm UNlocked units]. We need shadowmite back to add the hack for the menu in the Phone app to 'uncover' this feature [as he did for the locked T600/650].
  7. treoluv's Avatar
    Posts
    254 Posts
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    #7  
    Hi jposin,

    May I correct some some of your points?

    1/ Palm Treo unlock device doesn't show "the network select option" either (if you insert a Cingular SIM card, but not AT&T or T-mobile or other carriers.) Cingular suppress this option by their SIM cards.
    2/ Johnnytk36 (based on mcdan333 ideal) is the one who made treo 600/650 GSM shows this option. Shadowmite is a Sprint customer, hence, he has no access to Treo GSM phone. See post #94 http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...5&page=5&pp=20

    The network select option worked at that time b/c Cingular had 2 types of tower: Cingular and AT&T. You could only register between those 2 towers. Now, it only shows one after the merging is completed. You actually can "see" the T-mobile towers but you can't register to them.
  8. #8  
    Thanks for the corrections--for some reason I thought that Cingular locked the Network select in hardware, not by way of the SIM card. Still would be nice for someone [...whoever...] to reinvent the patch to unmask this menu choice.
  9. #9  
    hey benny, when you put your SIM card in, what does it say?
    can you make a phone call?
    It shouldn't say sim unlocked if its NOT UNLOCKED...


    if you put the wrong code in too many times, it might perminently lock itself. that's what happens to NOKIA so i'm not sure about palm.
  10. treoluv's Avatar
    Posts
    254 Posts
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    #10  
    If you insert a SIM from different carrier into the branded, locked device, it gonna say:"SIM is invalid"

    Yes. It happens to Palm Treo, too.
    Treo Maniac?
  11. #11  
    exactly...should say SIM invalid....so i'm kinda confused as to what his real problem is.
  12. #12  
    Hmm, sorry to bring this thread back up from the dead, but I'm a new Treo 680 owner in Canada, locked to the Rogers system. I've called and asked them about giving me the unlock codes, but it's a no go.
    I wonder if Cingular would have the unlock codes for my phone... Any kind soul willing to help me out? I'd be happy to send you some maple syrup or something! Trying to save myself $30 if I can.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by chalmers View Post
    Hmm, sorry to bring this thread back up from the dead, but I'm a new Treo 680 owner in Canada, locked to the Rogers system. I've called and asked them about giving me the unlock codes, but it's a no go.
    I wonder if Cingular would have the unlock codes for my phone... Any kind soul willing to help me out? I'd be happy to send you some maple syrup or something! Trying to save myself $30 if I can.
    Very hard to get cingular to unlock your phone. You have to be a very good customer and catch someone being nice. They did it for my 650 but it was not easy. My advice I would try to sell my locked 680 and purchase an unlocked from Palm. Or find a legitmate company to unlock your phone. I'm not too familar with any in Canada though
  14. pabo's Avatar
    Posts
    813 Posts
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady_Treo View Post
    Very hard to get cingular to unlock your phone. You have to be a very good customer and catch someone being nice. They did it for my 650 but it was not easy. My advice I would try to sell my locked 680 and purchase an unlocked from Palm. Or find a legitmate company to unlock your phone. I'm not too familar with any in Canada though
    I've had a much different experience with Cingular. If you are a customer over 30 days and call to tell them you travel internationally (and need to use another sime) they will give you the subsidy unlock code. You have to be clear, but I have done it 6 times (3 650s and 3 680s).

    Another note, the process does not work as Cingular tells you. Go thru their process, ie, put in their SIM, enter code as directed and the other sime will say invalid. You then put in the invalid sim, re-enter the codes and the phone will unlock. Go figure...
  15. #15  
    i vote to close this thread...the OP has dissappeared.

Posting Permissions