1.    #1  
    Hoping someone could help...

I'm currently on a existing cingular mobile plan and want to purchase the treo 680. I noticed on the palm website the cingular treo (without signing up for a plan) costs $449 but the unlocked version costs $399. Why the extra cost when the unlocked one would seem to be more desirable because it can be used with any carrier including cingular, correct?

If I purchase the unlocked version, will I have any issue using it with my current cingular plan/Sim card? I'm also thinking of getting the cingular internet media bundle to be used with the treo.
    I'm on Cingular. Had a Cingular locked 650. Purchased an unlocked 680 (Copper) from Palm. Moved SIM from 650 to 680. **NO** problems whatsoever; unlimited data kicked in as usual. And NO resets (still in shock behind that one, and it's been 'bout 3 weeks now). As for Cingular's increased fee--- presumably, their experience with the 650 = LOTS of replacements, per sudden inexplicable dead sound, no wakeup without soft reset, etc. Read: high maintenance = higher $$$. (I had just received 650 #3 when I crossed my pinkies and ordered the 680. Now, sooooooooo glad I took "one more chance".)

BTW, do ya REALLY expect ANY carrier to make it easIER to get the UNlocked version??? ;-)
    Treorenegade,
    You may have answered one of my questions - locked vs unlocked Treo 680 on the Cingular network!

Did cingular refund you the bucks spent on the Treo 680 or credit your account?

What SIM card are you using? The 64K or 3G?

And what difference does it make to the carrier whether the device is locked or unlocked? you still are paying them for use of their services!
    This PRE is MINE all MINE! But if you ask nice I might let you hold it!
    No problems just move the SIM card over and go Media bundle might be a tougher sell because they sort of have 'approved' lists of phones that go with that type of plan and they are generally older 12 button phones. As soon as they hear Treo they push you toward the $40 PDA plan. I got around it because they still have my older phone in their records.
    If you have a 3g SIM card, then you don't even need to adjust any settings. Just pop it in and you are ready to go. For the older SIM cards, I think you need to enter the MMS & APN (internet) settings manually.
    The reason for the increased cost of the Cingular phone over the unlocked is Cingular is trying to convince folks to go with a plan that will drop the cost of the phone drastically ($199 for a two year plan, for example). I guess Cingular feels if you really, really want it, they'll sell it to you. Sounds like good old fashioned corporate greed.

It's $300 with a contract from Cingular, without any plan changes. $200 if you take the PDA Data plan rebate, which as stated elsewhere on this forum will save you around $40 IF you get the rebate in 3 months and can switch back to the $20 MEdia Net plan.

Personally I think when I get mine, I'll just get it for $300. I can't get stuck paying $40/mo for data. I'd REALLY like to go through Treo Central, but I do NOT trust the fact that I have to change my voice and data plans around at the same time. However, I think I'll take their list of rebates to the Cingular store and see what I can do.
    I had a 650 on Cingular and wanted the 680, so I called cingular sales and asked what the price was and the CSR ended up selling it to me for $199 with only a 1 year extension on my contract. I didn't have to do any rebates. I would try calling and see if you can get the same CSR that I got, she didn't seem that bright. Good luck!
    I bought an unlocked unbranded Copper T680 from PALM.

WHY? SO that my features won't change and i can seamlessly use my current plan.
    **did this with my T650 also.
    AND so that I don't have to sign any contract!!

I placed my Sim in the phone and all the settings were set: mms, sms, MEdiaNet, etc... i was happy about how seamless that was (i had all my settings copied, etc just in case I needed to manually type all of this...)
    Now it's the WAITING GAME: a GSM Palm Pre
    T680 (COPPER) + Cingular = FUN!!
    My T650 & 6230b and NX70 are retired... =(
    http://mrg9605.com
    http://ipgeek21.com
    noncents.net
    http://seresqueridos.com

justdai.com
    reddingk.com
    georgeozuna.com
    goaskoscar.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Facci View Post
    I had a 650 on Cingular and wanted the 680, so I called cingular sales and asked what the price was and the CSR ended up selling it to me for $199 with only a 1 year extension on my contract. I didn't have to do any rebates. I would try calling and see if you can get the same CSR that I got, she didn't seem that bright. Good luck!
    Okay, how did you manage this? Did you threaten them with leaving for another carrier, etc, or complain about the 650, what? I keep hearing these stories, and I'd like to be armed when I get my 680.

Also, did you have to change voice or data plans at all? What data plan do you currently have? That's my biggest concern, I don't want to get stuck with the PDA Connect data plan.
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    Okay, how did you manage this? Did you threaten them with leaving for another carrier, etc, or complain about the 650, what? I keep hearing these stories, and I'd like to be armed when I get my 680.

Also, did you have to change voice or data plans at all? What data plan do you currently have? That's my biggest concern, I don't want to get stuck with the PDA Connect data plan.
    I just got lucky! The CSR kept talking to herself and didn't sound like she knew what she was doing. I have the 1400 minute family plan with 5 lines. I upgraded one of my lines but didn't want to do the 2 year so I only did 1 year contract.
    Quote Originally Posted by Facci View Post
    I just got lucky! The CSR kept talking to herself and didn't sound like she knew what she was doing. I have the 1400 minute family plan with 5 lines. I upgraded one of my lines but didn't want to do the 2 year so I only did 1 year contract.
    Sheesh.. I'm hoping maybe I can talk the CSR into some of the discounts offered on websites that have nothing to do with the data plan.. I'm not going to change it, I don't want to want to worry about getting stuck with it at $40/mo and having to drop it because that's entirely too expensive. It's better for me to pay a bit more. But perhaps I can talk them into dropping the price at least the $25 "customer appreciation" price.

I'd like to buy the phone through Treocentral.com (for $50 but I don't want to change my voice and data plans.