Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    has anyone tried this? http://www.pdamexico.net/archivos/poderpda/WiFiTreo.prc It appears to enable wifi on the treo. I downloaded it but I don't have a palm wifi card. When I start the program it appears to search for networks and "finds" 4 fictitious networks. When you try to connect you get something in Spanish that doesn't translate well on Google. The video at http://www.pdamexico.net/content/view/3038/ appears to show it working but who knows. I'd buy a wifi card if it worked. Does anyone have a card and a 700P?

The whole thing is a hoax, the Mexican version of April Fool's. Very funny though!
    Last edited by maninrochester; 12/30/2006 at 04:25 PM. Reason: It's a Hoax
    Palm I >Palm IIIi>Palm 505> Zire 71>PEG37>T|X>TREO 700P That's a lot of palming!!
    Very very interesting... I'll be following this thread closely.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    I just watched the video... if 100% true, it would be sweet! But after slapping myself on the face to get back to reality, I would point this out:

Take it with a grain of salt... in Mexico, the 28th of December is the equivalent of April fool's in the US. This video may well be just a gag to get Treo users somewhat excited over something that definitely has been long desired.

Notice that he tries the same app in several Palm platforms and they do detect networks even without a WiFi card! I don't see any logic behind that other than a hoax in the making.

Even more, although he connects the card in the 680 and with the special app he "recognizes" several WiFi networks, he does not show browsing of any kind with it... I mean, that would be the test that truly would demonstrate WiFi on Treo 680/700p...

My 2 cents
  4.    #4  
    I watched the video too and was wondering if it's a hoax. My version of the software found the same networks as he did!! Amazingamente! If today is their April fools day then they got me.
    Palm I >Palm IIIi>Palm 505> Zire 71>PEG37>T|X>TREO 700P That's a lot of palming!!
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Dude, you just nailed it with that! Unless you are sitting next to this guy in his office or the mentioned networks are some sort of UBER-WiFi networks, I would set this to rest as a BIG FAT HOAX...
    Myth busted!
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    it is totally a hoax! i ran it to confirm, and sure enough, it gave an error message with the familiar rhyme equal to "april fools".
    it's not a crack house, it's a crack home.
    lol, it was a little glimmer of hope. Gotta give them props for running that story. They got PalmAddict to post it as well

http://palmaddict.typepad.com/palmad...from_palm.html
    Jimmie Geddes
    Its a hoax.

Looking into the assembled mess, there is a message (I didn't include the accents):

Inocente palomita que te dejaste enganar, sabiendo que en este dia en nadie puedes confiar.

I don't know Spanish too well (only took a few years), but with a little help from Google, this roughly translates to something along the lines of (from Google):

Innocent popcorn that you let yourself enganar, knowing that this day in anybody you can trust.

Basically, it's the equivalent of April Fools Day, don't trust this.

By the way, I can't trust that anyway with the site showing a TX running WM5.
    http://www.pdamexico.net/content/view/3034/2/

-Donald

Edit: Looks like somebody beat me.
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    man, i was so hoping there was a wifi hack. i would love to access the internet with a wifi sd card on my 700p
  11.    #11  
    sorry to get everybody excited

Inocente palomita que te dejaste enganar, sabiendo que en este dia en nadie puedes confiar.

Actually it means:

Innocent dove, that you let yourself be lied to, knowing that this day you cannot trust anyone.

Actually from the tone of voice of the person in the video I think he wasn't in on it when he recorded the video.

What he's basically saying is that he doesn't know how it's getting the networks and that he can't access the internet so he doesn't know what it could mean.

It sounds like the programmer of the app got him too, but he decided to put up the video anyway...I guess to save face...
    it's all good, we do it here on April 1st. I like the TX running WM5.
    Jimmie Geddes
    maninrochester,

maybe you should post an edit to your first post, letting people know it's a hoax. might save a few tears.
    it's not a crack house, it's a crack home.
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    it has to be a hoax if for no other reason that unless the treo came with the wifi radio transmit/receive hardware built in no app is going to enable it. now if the hardware came disabled that would be a very interesting story.
    That's what I was about to say^

You cannot enable wifi on a device that does not have wifi hardware. I can't believe anyone actually fell for that...
  17.    #17  
    google translated it as innocent popcorn!!
    It confused some people because the video showed the 680 using a enfora wifi sled, then the Palm SD Wifi card. It was a good joke. I noticed PalmAddict has already removed it from their site. It's pretty funny
    Last edited by JimmieGeddes; 12/28/2006 at 02:54 PM.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Palomita, DOES mean popcorn in certain Spanish speaking countries, but in its context it means little pigeon, aren't doves, little pigeons? I've never had fun with Spanish google translations, but the possibilities are endless...

There are so many different colloquialisms in Latin America an innocent word to a Mexican could deeply offend a Cuban.

I didn't even know certain countries celebrate "April Fool's Day" today until this came up. According to Wikipedia it's "Innocent Saints Day." I've almost lived my whole life in Miami, but I guess the Cubans do not "practice" the "holiday".

However, now that I know this, my Mexican friend will not know what's coming because he won't be expecting us to know what today is...hahahaha...
    If I can get internet via EVDO, then why/what does wifi benefit me?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast