Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I didn't want to hijack someone elses thread...so i started a new one!

i am VERY new to treo/palm os.

I am using the trial of chatteremail.

I set it up for gmail and my work EXCHANGE SERVER. This all works great!

My ? lies here:

I never even set up or tried versamail b/c i was afraid if i set it up and didn't want to use it, it would be hard to remove the settings and get the defaults out of the way.

I was told at work that i can't get my email on a mobile device using imap4only OUTLOOK WEB ACCESS from any browser. The chatteremail ex bundle supposedly allows for chatteremail to access my mail send/recieve using imap4 through OWA...it does work.

Would versamail work or will that only work if the ports or settings are opened up by my IT department? I know the IT dept will do nothing to allow it. I'm the only one in our HUGE company that has figured out this solution. I just wasn't sure if i can do this all with versamail and not have to buy another program.

Other than that, chatter has worked very well and i think i should just buy it...but i have been buying so many things for this phone and have no more money to spend for software.

I hope that the answer to this question would help others out too.
    Versamail is a very basic email client and won't allow OWA syncing. It's a very bad program IMHO and should never be used. The Versamail data base is very easliy corrupted and will cause you all kind of headaches with instability, freezes, resets. I've characterized it before as a steaming pile of poo and I stand by this assessment. Both Chattermail and Snappermail are two excellent programs (but not free) and you should definitely buy one or the other instead of using Versamail. I give Chattermail the edge largely due to the developer being so devoted to support. Great message boards on the Chatter website, lots of tips and tricks.
  3.    #3  
    great thanks! I like chatter b/c it worked on first try! I never set up versamail so now when i accidentally open up email instead of chatter, it asks me if i want to perform the initial setup...

How can i make it so i can't accidentally set up versamail? I would rather just uninstall it!

i can't seem to change versamail from being in the favorites..is there no way to delete versamail from favorites list? If i ever need it i can find it in the applications.
    Versamail is in Flash ROM, you can not remove it using the normal tools (I am sure someone will come up with a tool to change the ROM, but as far as I know it does not exist yet for 680).
    I also wondered about removing Versamail from Favorites but noticed you can't (delete option is not offered). So I just moved it way down the list, out of my view
    Digital since 1980, Handheld since 2001
    M105, TE, T3.5, Treo 680, Treo 500v
    Happy Datebk6.1 user
  5.    #5  
    that's exactly what i did! I put it at the bottom, and made a new one for Chatter!
    Global Posts
    212 Global Posts
    You can remove it if you have a verizon branded 700P. versamail had been giving me problems, so I did a backup, then a hard reset. I renamed my backup and slowly put each program back on my treo leaving the versamail program out of my new backup folder.

Another method, I think some people have had success withh is by removing it from their backup folder, then using a program like rescoe explorer to remove the program form ram (those eliminating the need for a hard reset)

If you have the Sprint brand, you can't remove it this way.
    Palm IIIe -> Visor Deluxe -> Palm 505 -> Clie tj37 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700P
  7.    #7  
    well...actually i think it might be best not to screw with the ROM...i'll just leave it and not install it. i have not had anyproblems with the phone...except this morning after i took it off charge the "radio was off" so i turned it back on..i might have held the red button too long..not really sure
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanuman View Post
    You can remove it if you have a verizon branded 700P. versamail had been giving me problems, so I did a backup, then a hard reset. I renamed my backup and slowly put each program back on my treo leaving the versamail program out of my new backup folder.

Another method, I think some people have had success withh is by removing it from their backup folder, then using a program like rescoe explorer to remove the program form ram (those eliminating the need for a hard reset)

If you have the Sprint brand, you can't remove it this way.
    Will not work on 680 since the apps are in ROM (actually Flash, but inaccessible nevertheless).
    Digital since 1980, Handheld since 2001
    M105, TE, T3.5, Treo 680, Treo 500v
    Happy Datebk6.1 user
  9.    #9  
    i'm curious as to why anyone would give verizon branded 700p advice....we are talking 680's here anyway!
    Quote Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
    Versamail is a very basic email client and won't allow OWA syncing. It's a very bad program IMHO and should never be used. The Versamail data base is very easliy corrupted and will cause you all kind of headaches with instability, freezes, resets. I've characterized it before as a steaming pile of poo and I stand by this assessment. Both Chattermail and Snappermail are two excellent programs (but not free) and you should definitely buy one or the other instead of using Versamail. I give Chattermail the edge largely due to the developer being so devoted to support. Great message boards on the Chatter website, lots of tips and tricks.
    Actually, I use Versamail all the time with my 680 AND my office's OWA server, so what do you mean, specifically, when you say it won't allow syncing? The only problems I've ever had are the AirSam errors, but those haven't happened lately.
  11.    #11  
    Please tell us how you set up versamail to connect to your owa server.

Did you simply put in the website address of the owa server and your user and password?

does it works in true imap4 function? What provider are you on?

for me, b/c i have tmobile they don't have the push feature so i have to set the phone to poll my owa every XX minutes, as you do with the pop3 gmail.
    Quote Originally Posted by scoop_dtx View Post
    Please tell us how you set up versamail to connect to your owa server.

Did you simply put in the website address of the owa server and your user and password?

does it works in true imap4 function? What provider are you on?

for me, b/c i have tmobile they don't have the push feature so i have to set the phone to poll my owa every XX minutes, as you do with the pop3 gmail.
    I have T-Mobile with unlimited internet/corporate email. I set it up under the ActiveSync type and used the server name "owa.xxxxx.com" (no http://), which is the OWA address I use to log in via the web. I do have to put my company domain in the 'username' section, so my user name is "internalcompanydomain\internalusername", but I have to do that no matter whether it is via Versamail or a browser. I had it set to the autosync to hit every five minutes with the OWA (which worked fine on the 650) however, I have it to every 30 now to save battery with the 680 until that issue gets worked out, if ever.

Does that help?
    Can you use a current POP3 email address with Chattermails Push service that is
    $1.75/mth?
  14.    #14  
    I think you can set that up for any email address you have, but i would go to www.chatteremail.com and look in the forums there.
  15.    #15  
    hmm, for me i have to point a web browser to HTTPS://xXXXXX.COM

SO with chatter i just put in that address in the settings and the user name and password and it worked.

so with versamail, you can check your work email from anyway not near a computer or using blazer? wow...i want to try but don't want to try setting up versamail!

so you didn't do it in a versamail setting but inside activesync?

did your IT dept set it up for access by mobile devices? do they have certain ports open for you?
    my company has it locked down so i thought the chatter ex bundle was being sneaky.
    hmm, for me i have to point a web browser to HTTPS://xXXXXX.COM

SO with chatter i just put in that address in the settings and the user name and password and it worked.

so with versamail, you can check your work email from anyway not near a computer or using blazer? wow...i want to try but don't want to try setting up versamail!

so you didn't do it in a versamail setting but inside activesync?

did your IT dept set it up for access by mobile devices? do they have certain ports open for you?
    my company has it locked down so i thought the chatter ex bundle was being sneaky.
    Well, I think you can point to a non SSL url (i.e. http:// instead of https://) and it will automatically redirect to the SSL... so I wouldn't worry about that part. Yes, I get emails all day long (or whenever I wish to schedule syncs (currently 7am-5pm M-F so I don't get bothered on weekends)) with Versamail. I will admit it's not as robust as Chatter or Snapper, but for me it gets the job done for free. My IT dept did not set anything special up. They are running MS Server 2003 w/ Exchange. We also have blackberries and they sync to it too via the BB Enterprise server.

Also, when I say "ActiveSync", I am not referring to the HotSync on your PC. When you go into Versamail, it will ask which protocol and you need to choose "Exchange ActiveSync"... not POP or IMAP.

Hope that makes sense...
  17.    #17  
    okay i see, i am just going to stay with chatter, it works and its set up.
    I will try that out on my friends treo and see where we get.

actually when i go to my OWA server, if i got http: it DOES NOT redirect me to https: (ssl)
    actually when i go to my OWA server, if i got http: it DOES NOT redirect me to https: (ssl)
    Actually, now that you say that, I went to my OWA and there is an initial 'agreement' and you must click I Agree. The hyperlink on that I Agree is to the https:// url, so it looks like you are right... sorry about that.

19.    #19  
    its cool. i'm the only one at my workplace that figured out chattermail works so...i'm a happy camper either way. I think i had a good discussion going on..working on my posts!

Thanks Sparky
    I'm in the middle of setting up Chattermail and Versamail keeps trying to connect. How do you "shut off" Versamail?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast