Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I just tested it on three 680s, and it all worked.
    At first, I thought it was some of the programs that I installed causing that, now I know that it is the fault of the machine.
    In phone mode, turn off bluetooth, then turn off your 680.
    Wait for a while, press the home button-> unlock -> turn on your bluetooth -> press the menu ->chosse beam -> press done -> press the menu -> choose send -> press done -> press the menu ->chosse beam -> press done.
    It will reset the 680.
    I think the system just can not handle the bluetooth startup , and all the beam and send activities at the same time.
    Since I found out that was not caused by other programs, I am relieved now. Or else I would have hard reset my 680 and start from the scratch. Share your finding, so at least we can get a better firmware in the future.
    As a general rule, I've noticed that when turning on the phone, it's best to do nothing else while you're waiting for it to search for the network. Once you have aquired a signal, then you can start doing other stuff. Otherwise there is a fair chance you will at least freeze for a little bit if not cause a complete reset.
    Quote Originally Posted by icesalmon View Post
    Share your way to crash the Treo 680
    Turn it on.
    play villiage sim for more than 5 minutes.
    --
    Visor Deluxe > Visor Platinum > Visor Pro > Treo 180 > Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 680 > Palm Pre > EVO 4G
    In my case, it's a USB issue. I have Card Reader (to make my 680's SD card viewable from Windows Explorer while connected to USB). I can view all the files, Move and Copy small files among directories on the SD card, and Delete anything I want. But when I try to copy TO the 680 from a PC, I get a Windows XP "Delayed Write Failed" error in a popup in my System Tray. It doesn't do it immediately, but it does it every time. I'm trying to copy over some non-DRM'd mp3 files I've ripped. Trying to copy over a whole album, sometimes it errors on the 2nd song, sometimes the 6th or 7th. And when I see that error in WinXP, the Palm is locked at that point also.

Here's the fun part:

1. I get the exact same error when I use mVoice's built-in SD card reader functionality.
    2. I'm having this problem on 2 newer Dell laptops as well as a homebuilt PC (all are running WinXP Pro). I tried both through a hub and without a hub on the PC. No hubs on the laptops.
    3. I've tried 2 different USB cables on each PC (OEM cable as well as a SPE Sync/Charge retractable cable).
    4. I've tried w/ 2 different SD cards, with each of the cables, each of the PC's, and both of the apps. Both of these cards work fine for reading/writing data when I use a standalone USB card reader.

I emailed mVoice's support about it, and they replied that they've never heard of the issue, and sent me to a Microsoft link about the WinXP "Delayed Write Failed" error message. I tried the suggested Registry change to increase SystemPages setting, but it didn't help. I've seen this exact same error in the past on someone else's PC whenever a USB hub was going bad.

So the problem appears to be w/ the USB firmware on my 680. Any ideas from anyone? Not sure if this is something that could be fixed by a warranty swap-out.
    Attempt to install and run the voice recorder from other palm devices... THAT's how i've reset my phone...
    Now it's the WAITING GAME: a GSM Palm Pre
    T680 (COPPER) + Cingular = FUN!!
    My T650 & 6230b and NX70 are retired... =(
    http://mrg9605.com
    http://ipgeek21.com
    noncents.net
    http://seresqueridos.com

justdai.com
    reddingk.com
    georgeozuna.com
    goaskoscar.com
    well, I tried the first "crash" sim. No crash here. Mine has been stable except for the battery issue. That's unstable
    BradH - I have YET to get any "mXXXX" program to work well on the Treo 680. Try Softick card Export.

I am not pleased with the vendor's responses to my emails so I'd venture a guess that it is indeed a software issue NOT your PC or a windows issue.
    This PRE is MINE all MINE! But if you ask nice I might let you hold it!
    Press lots of buttons while it's loading something, i.e. reading Plucker files, loading Pocket Tunes, anything that uses a bit more CPU than usual.

Never fails.
    (PowerPlay Vs) >> palmOne Zire 31 >>
    (palm Tungsten T3)/(palmOne Zire 72s) >> (palm Black Tie Trēo 650 Custom)/
    (palmOne LifeDrive Custom [SanDisk Ultra II CF])/(palm m515)/(palm T|X)
    handspring Visor Deluxe/Tapwave Zodiac 2/palm Trēo 680 Copper Orange

Canuck PDA
    Talking on the phone gives random fatal exceptions on "phone". I'll add my signal goes up and down pretty crazy when I was on the phone. Maybe the signal dipped too low and caused a reset. I'm still using my old 64k SIM, I wonder if my signal will become more stable after my 3G SIM is activated.
    Last edited by briansho; 12/28/2006 at 04:49 PM.
    When doing a "search" in your contacts database, it will frequently cause the 680 to soft reset if you ask it to search again. In fact, it will reset during many searches if it doesn't find anything.
    Global Posts
    150 Global Posts
    Install VoiceDial, then try to HotSync.
    Brian
    Quote Originally Posted by ohbw View Post
    Install VoiceDial, then try to HotSync.
    Got it.. do it... still works... but Village Sim still crashes it
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    can i ask, if i may be so naive, how come everyone is having different problems with the SAME product? i mean everyone hear has the 680 and yet everyday i hear of new and interesting problem unique to one persons treo or sometimes a small collective group, ill read it and then someone else will say "well mine doesn't do that" and others will chime in too "neither is mine"
    from what i understand every one has the flicker, battery, speed problems etc. but from what i've seen everone is having different sotware problems, i can only imagine whats going to happen when i get my 680 and i put the data from my 600 on it like ringo, contacts, to do list, photos, memos etc.

i havet followed that closely but is this phone palms first attempt with the new OS or is it just the original faultily installed, i read somewear that palm was switching to access right? or is it reversed?
    Visor Neo-->Visor Edge-->Visor Prism(with Visorphone)-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 180-->Copper Treo 680-->Treo 270-->Treo 800w
    It's a combination of new hardware (new manufacturer) and third party products, as well as a few kinks in the OS I think. Different combinations of third party products produce different results (or problems ), but all with the same consequence it seems:

a crash.
    (PowerPlay Vs) >> palmOne Zire 31 >>
    (palm Tungsten T3)/(palmOne Zire 72s) >> (palm Black Tie Trēo 650 Custom)/
    (palmOne LifeDrive Custom [SanDisk Ultra II CF])/(palm m515)/(palm T|X)
    handspring Visor Deluxe/Tapwave Zodiac 2/palm Trēo 680 Copper Orange

Canuck PDA
    My answer was facetious... others not so much (agendus, etc...). Mine has been stable... even the battery issue has been stable... that it drains pretty quickly... lol
    Now it's the WAITING GAME: a GSM Palm Pre
    T680 (COPPER) + Cingular = FUN!!
    My T650 & 6230b and NX70 are retired... =(
    http://mrg9605.com
    http://ipgeek21.com
    noncents.net
    http://seresqueridos.com

justdai.com
    reddingk.com
    georgeozuna.com
    goaskoscar.com
    Installed trial Voice dial. Was using the ear bud today ( bluetooth wasn't charged). As I removed Ear plug cable, voice dial self started then crashed the device. I have NOT installed Voice Dial on my "NEW" 680 fired up today.

Jpizzazp (sp?) posted:
    can i ask, if i may be so naive, how come everyone is having different problems with the SAME product? i mean everyone hear has the 680 and yet everyday i hear of new and interesting problem unique to one persons treo or sometimes a small collective group, ill read it and then someone else will say "well mine doesn't do that" and others will chime in too "neither is mine"
    from what i understand every one has the flicker, battery, speed problems etc. but from what i've seen everone is having different sotware problems, i can only imagine whats going to happen when i get my 680 and i put the data from my 600 on it like ringo, contacts, to do list, photos, memos etc.

i havet followed that closely but is this phone palms first attempt with the new OS or is it just the original faultily installed, i read somewear that palm was switching to access right? or is it reversed?

You can beam or BT your contacts, address book, memos, to do list and photos to your new 680 but I would STRONGLY advise against doing a hotsync to get that info on the new device! Many of the programs usable on the older devices either just won't talk to the new 680 or they will crash it.

Yes, Access has apparently bought Palm (for the time being) and has branded their version of Palm on the Treo 680 - well at least all the ones being distributed by Cingular.
    This PRE is MINE all MINE! But if you ask nice I might let you hold it!
    Quote Originally Posted by jpizzaj View Post

It's cause no two user's installed software, usage patterns, preferences, and databases are alike. This is to be expected. Also, keep in mind that all you are going to see here (mostly) is people reporting issues. This is because people aren't likely to look for a place to report things that work just fine. Also, keep in mind that what is initially reported may not be the actual problem. When someone says the device resets when searching for a contact, or enabling Bluetooth, etc., etc...., it doesn't mean that it's the OS or the hardware. Some people have upgraded from other devices and copied over files, databases, and preferences from older devices that are not 100% compatible or have gotten slightly corrupted somewhere along in the scheme while transferring/installing data and/or applications.

Unless you hard reset and install absolutely NOTHING at all, and then find a problem that can be reproduced every time, there's no way to know for sure if its the OS/hardware. Once you install 3rd party software, you take an assumed risk that the entire device has been destabilized in someway or another, whether it is apparent or not. This is because no software is ever 100% bug free or 100% compatible with other software. This is no different than desktop computers.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpizzaj View Post
    i can only imagine whats going to happen when i get my 680 and i put the data from my 600 on it like ringo, contacts, to do list, photos, memos etc.
    jpizza,

It will be very likely that you will have problems once you begin migrating programs and data from your 600. Keep in mind that you'll be skipping an entire Treo generation and the likelihood is high that there will be some incompatibility issues.
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    so wait pictures and such should be fine, ok now i still have my 600 would it be safer to beam my contacts and memos, etc?

also do i need a new version of ringo? or will the old one work? i don't want to have to buy a new version >.<
    Visor Neo-->Visor Edge-->Visor Prism(with Visorphone)-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 180-->Copper Treo 680-->Treo 270-->Treo 800w
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast