1.    #1  
    okay i just learned that while using xmstream listening to xmradio the phone did not ring. I turned off blazer and it rang. I then just had google searching for something and checking out links and tried to call myself, again no answer.

Is this correct that if you are using blazer you cannot recieve or get notification that someone is trying to call you?
  2.    #2  
    I should add that i'm on Tmobile, and this could be a network issue?
    Yes, this is how GSM works. It's going to happen with any GSM phone. CDMA phones with EVDO support will pause a data connection when a call comes in. UMTS phones (like the Treo 750) can support simultaneous voice and data.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    It might be a T-Mobile thing. I had a Treo 650 on Cingular in the past and any incoming calls would pause an active data connection and let the call come through. It is not possible to voice and data at the same time on current EDGE implementations, but it is possible to pause the data connection to allow the call to come through. I would check with other T-Mobile Treo users to see if this is something specific to T-Mobile.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    As indicated by bcaslis, this is how GSM works (GPRS is just using the GSM network). Whether you use the connection for data or voice does not matter, the line is busy.
    Digital since 1980, Handheld since 2001
    M105, TE, T3.5, Treo 680, Treo 500v
    Happy Datebk6.1 user
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by scoop_dtx View Post
    okay i just learned that while using xmstream listening to xmradio the phone did not ring. I turned off blazer and it rang. I then just had google searching for something and checking out links and tried to call myself, again no answer.

Is this correct that if you are using blazer you cannot recieve or get notification that someone is trying to call you?
    Yep, noticed just the same thing yesterday after listening to streaming audio after a couple of hours yesterday. I just said to myself I wonder if any has tried to call me for the past two hours. Just for kicks, tried calling my phone via a land line and it went straight to voicemail. FYI, I'm a T-Mobile user.
    Wait a sec....there is some misinformation here...let me explain:

For GSM/GPRS phones, if the GPRS session is active (you see the double arrows in the upper right), but the phone is not transmitting data at the moment that the phone call comes in, the phone call will interupt the data session. But if the phone is transmitting data at that time, it will go to voicemail. The good thing is that since no data program transmits data at all times, you will at least get your voicemail notice plus you will also get an SMS messages which also use GSM and not GPRS.

Regarding UMTS/HSDPA, it is correct that both voice and data can be used simultaneously.

Now for CDMA devices using the older 1x network, like the CDMA Treo 600 & 650: 1x works more like a dial-up connection, which means if you are using data, even if the phone is not transmitting at the particular moment a voice call comes in, it will still go to voicemail, and worse yet is that you will not receive your voicemail notification until you end the data session (i.e. close the program that is using data). You will also not receive any SMS messages until you close that program.

Regarding EVDO, voice is able to interupt data regardless of whether data is transmitting or not, but you cannot use voice & data simultaneously like you can with UMTS/HSDPA.
  9.    #9  
    meyerweb...i apologize that link was exactly my question...i didn't search enough!

Thank you for everyone's wisdom!

I do know that gprs is one thing at a time. I had the tmobile mda and was thinking of going to cingular and getting the 8525. I chose to stay edge instead of umts b/c its too expensive over there and Tmobile has always been good signal for me, 7 years.

I had read that the treo will pause a data connection to allow an incoming call. I guess i will just use mp3's instead of streaming audio. I just would think a call should override whatever is happening..that's why its a phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric5273 View Post
    Wait a sec....there is some misinformation here...let me explain ...
    Nice answer. You even explained CDMA 1xrtt and EVDO behavior! I learned something today.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Quote Originally Posted by holvoetn View Post
    As indicated by bcaslis, this is how GSM works (GPRS is just using the GSM network). Whether you use the connection for data or voice does not matter, the line is busy.
    This is not correct.
    GSM/GPRS phones can be of class A or class B.
    Class A phones can have _simultaneously_ voice and data trasmission.
    Class B phones can't. During a data transfer, priority will be given to voice calls.

That is, the phone will pause the GPRS/EDGE transfer to complete che phone call, then it will restart the data transfer.

http://www.newlc.com/GPRS-Class-overview.html

The treo 650 is a class B phone.
    http://www.palm.com/us/products/smar..._gsmdsheet.pdf

Don't know about the new treo 680.
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fasuin View Post
    This is not correct.
    GSM/GPRS phones can be of class A or class B.
    Class A phones can have _simultaneously_ voice and data trasmission.
    Class B phones can't. During a data transfer, priority will be given to voice calls.

That is, the phone will pause the GPRS/EDGE transfer to complete che phone call, then it will restart the data transfer.

http://www.newlc.com/GPRS-Class-overview.html

The treo 650 is a class B phone.
    http://www.palm.com/us/products/smar..._gsmdsheet.pdf

Don't know about the new treo 680.
    That would be so nice to know. I tried to look it up on palms website and in their .pdf brochure. But it does not say class A or class B. Someone should ask Palm
    There are no class A GSM/GPRS phones in existance. I think the technology was supposed to exist, but as far as I know it has never been implemented in a consumer product.
  14.    #14  
    okay..so the palm is a class B device...and according to everyone's definition it should pause data transfer and give priority to the phone call...which is what my MDA did....why doesn't the treo 680 do this?

could it be my tmobile network?
    who do i call? tmobile will just tell me the phone is not supported..i will start with palm.