Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm a windows mobile guy
    looking for a GPS setup for my brother and his Treo 680.
    I'm pretty set on the Globalsat BT-338 Bluetooth GPS Receiver

what's the most praised / widely used / go-to GPS software that you guys recommend?
    You really could search for this information, as it's obviously discussed here a bit.. But oh well.. Nobody ever seems to do that.

The Globalsat 338 or Holux 236 both work well. I found the Holux a bit cheaper so I went with it.
    I just started using Telenav with a BT-359. It is a subscription based service for $10 per month versus buying the maps once for $150. I like Telenav's feature of calling in he destination address via speech rec vs. typing it in.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    I have a Garmin Legend C which costs about the same as putting GPS on your cell phone, only it's a hellova lot better receiver and has a lot more features.

If you ONLY want GPS for the car, then putting it on your Treo isn't a bad idea--it's a bit cheaper this way--but if you're planning on doing more with a GPS than guiding you on automobile trips then I recommend a Garmin GPS unit.

For just plain directions with the added bonus of sattelite photos and local lookups on your Treo though, Google Maps for Treo is an absolute must have, and it's free--unlike its MapQuest equivalant (sp?). With Google Maps you can look up a location, see it on sat, look up a local amenity to that address and get that address and it's contact details--with the ability to dial the number right from there--and get excellent turn by turn directions that are easy to click for each turn by turn even while driving.

Look up any obscure thing in any area, and it will find it, from gas stations to laundromats to apolstery services. It's as good as any yellow pages type program, and has all of the above to boot.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    You really could search for this information, as it's obviously discussed here a bit.. But oh well.. Nobody ever seems to do that.

The Globalsat 338 or Holux 236 both work well. I found the Holux a bit cheaper so I went with it.
    no offense... but you really could read that I'm looking for a software suggestion here hence posting in the Apps forum...
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Work4Beer View Post
    I have a Garmin Legend C which costs about the same as putting GPS on your cell phone, only it's a hellova lot better receiver and has a lot more features.

If you ONLY want GPS for the car, then putting it on your Treo isn't a bad idea--it's a bit cheaper this way--but if you're planning on doing more with a GPS than guiding you on automobile trips then I recommend a Garmin GPS unit.

For just plain directions with the added bonus of sattelite photos and local lookups on your Treo though, Google Maps for Treo is an absolute must have, and it's free--unlike its MapQuest equivalant (sp?). With Google Maps you can look up a location, see it on sat, look up a local amenity to that address and get that address and it's contact details--with the ability to dial the number right from there--and get excellent turn by turn directions that are easy to click for each turn by turn even while driving.

Look up any obscure thing in any area, and it will find it, from gas stations to laundromats to apolstery services. It's as good as any yellow pages type program, and has all of the above to boot.
    great information regarding Google Maps w4b.

as far as nav software, would researching TomTom and CoPilot be a good starting point?
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by swieder View Post
    I just started using Telenav with a BT-359. It is a subscription based service for $10 per month versus buying the maps once for $150. I like Telenav's feature of calling in he destination address via speech rec vs. typing it in.
    thank you for the suggestion.
    I'm thinking that since it's a gift, I don't want to give him something that he needs to subscribe to.
    In this case (using your example), I wouldn't mind paying the ~$150 up front to just buy him the software. Any suggestions for that?
    I've been using TomTom Navigator 6 with the Bluetooth GPS receiver on my 650 for the past week and I love it. The receiver isn't the best but was included in the $250 package (mine was a gift). The Navigator software is also available seperately at about $150. The receiver is small and can even be tossed in your pocket after signal aquisition so it makes the Treo a truly portable solution. The software is road-centric, meaning it won't really do anything for you while your hiking in the woods, etc.

I looked at TeleNav but felt a standalone GPS package was better on the Treo. Why? Because TeleNav requires a signal on the phone. If I'm out in the sticks with no reception, I still want my GPS to work.
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkEagle View Post
    I've been using TomTom Navigator 6 with the Bluetooth GPS receiver on my 650 for the past week and I love it. The receiver isn't the best but was included in the $250 package (mine was a gift). The Navigator software is also available seperately at about $150. The receiver is small and can even be tossed in your pocket after signal aquisition so it makes the Treo a truly portable solution. The software is road-centric, meaning it won't really do anything for you while your hiking in the woods, etc.

I looked at TeleNav but felt a standalone GPS package was better on the Treo. Why? Because TeleNav requires a signal on the phone. If I'm out in the sticks with no reception, I still want my GPS to work.
    great info Mark. thank you.
    I've seen those components in a package and they look enticing...
    My recommendation also goes to TomTom, though I am using 5 rather than 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by bags View Post
    no offense... but you really could read that I'm looking for a software suggestion here hence posting in the Apps forum...
    Hardware, software, all the same.. This is discussed quite often.
    I have been using TomTom version 5/BT-338 GPS since April with my 650 and I would recommend it. I just ordered the upgrade to version 6. TomTom is not perfect. But it does everything I need...it takes me from door-to-door with no or very little problems. I have also added speedtraps and traffic cameras in the DC/VA/MD area, so it warns me as I am approaching one. I don't leave home without it.

The one thing I would check is if the person already has a mount for their phone. Some bundles come with a free mount such as: BT-338 and TomTom 6.
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    Global Posts
    680 Global Posts
    I'm using TomTom 6 on my 700Wx, and my wife uses it on her 700P. We're both happy with it.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    Hardware, software, all the same.. This is discussed quite often.
    alrighty.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by jaharr View Post
    My recommendation also goes to TomTom, though I am using 5 rather than 6.
    another vote for tomtom... cool. thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by cash70 View Post
    I have been using TomTom version 5/BT-338 GPS since April with my 650 and I would recommend it. I just ordered the upgrade to version 6. TomTom is not perfect. But it does everything I need...it takes me from door-to-door with no or very little problems. I have also added speedtraps and traffic cameras in the DC/VA/MD area, so it warns me as I am approaching one. I don't leave home without it.

The one thing I would check is if the person already has a mount for their phone. Some bundles come with a free mount such as: BT-338 and TomTom 6.
    yet another vote - and thank you for the writeup and the link. Looks like it comes w/ everything I need.

Quote Originally Posted by xdalaw View Post
    I'm using TomTom 6 on my 700Wx, and my wife uses it on her 700P. We're both happy with it.
    ok - tom tom it is
    Does TomTom 6 speak street names? I have TomTom 5 and it only says "turn right in 200ft". I was with my brother-in-law this week and he has the Garmin Nuvi 350 and it blows away TomTom with all the features it has. The Nuvi was much more accurate than TomTom 5 as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnH59 View Post
    the Garmin Nuvi 350 and it blows away TomTom with all the features it has.
    It's no wonder at a list price close to $1000 (even on sale at around $500 it's like comparing apples to oranges). For the price, Tomtom is a great product.
    Now that you've decided which system to buy, just to throw a wrench in the works I'm suggesting you also consider the Garmin GPS 10 or ("any day now" Mobile 10). Here's why:

3 elements need to be considered in any GPS system of the type discussed in this thread:

1. BT GPS receiver
    2. Map database
    3. Software to integrate 1 and 2 and provide a user interface

TomTom allows you to use their 2 + 3 with any GPS receiver but uses your Treo (or whatever device) as a hardware key, which makes it a better choice with regard to 1 because you're not tied to buying any one manufacturer's hardware. Garmin uses their receiver as a hardware key (actually you can use your maps on 2 Garmin GPS units, but for a 3rd unit you have to start paying extra), which means you're stuck with their receivers, but you can use your 1 + 2 + 3 bundle with as many Palm, WM5 or Windows devices as you want. The GPS 10 does not use the latest SIRF III chip set (though the Mobile 10, whenever it is released, will have it.) Is SIRF III necessary? I can almost always get a perfectly good signal from my GPS 10.

The other nice thing for me about the Garmin setup is that I can also use their topo maps (I bought mine years ago for use on another Garmin device) on the Treo, so I can use the same device for biking, off-highway travel, and even hiking. While there are better GPS devices for hiking, having a Treo + GPS 10 gives you all the options - road maps and topo maps, plus all the phone and PDA functions of the Treo, and the option to use all the maps on WM5 and Windows devices as well.

Also, Garmin has excellent customer service (at least they did the one time I needed to contact them) whereas I've heard TomTom's is virtually nil.

Which is better, TomTom or Garmin? Depends on how you plan to use your device. I'm not saying that Garmin is necessarily better than TomTom, but it merits consideration.
    Quote Originally Posted by jrfaris View Post
    It's no wonder at a list price close to $1000 (even on sale at around $500 it's like comparing apples to oranges). For the price, Tomtom is a great product.
    You can get the Nuvi for a little over $400 at Walmart. We were in high traffic areas and the Nuvi made it much better. If I were to start all over, I would certainly spend a little more and not have the frustration of poor maps, lack of using names in speech, and pitiful POI's. I have been a TomTom fan for quite awhile until I saw the Garmin Nuvi 350.
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnH59 View Post
    You can get the Nuvi for a little over $400 at Walmart. We were in high traffic areas and the Nuvi made it much better. If I were to start all over, I would certainly spend a little more and not have the frustration of poor maps, lack of using names in speech, and pitiful POI's. I have been a TomTom fan for quite awhile until I saw the Garmin Nuvi 350.
    Point taken on the price. There are certainly many operational advantages to a stand alone unit. Also some disadvantages as have been pointed out in other threads. Original poster asked for a Treo 680 application so a Garmin 10 system of some sort might be a fair comparison but then you are locked into their receiver. Tomtom Nav6 improves many of the Nav5 map and POI issues that you point out. Guess that's why we keep seeing new products released.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast