Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Telenav says the street name, such as turn right on Main St. You never pay an upgrade fee for new maps because its a subscription service for $10 per month.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Telenav type services are pretty good, but you have pay every month and it only works in places where you have cell coverage. So its fine for cities and major interstate routes but it won't help at all if you're lost (or trying to get lost) in the boonies.

Updates on Garmin: apparently the Mobile 10 is now available - some stores are saying they're in stock, though Garmin's website doesn't seem to know that. Also, I THINK (not sure) that you can use Garmin's BT receivers with TomTom and other mapping software. I know I've used the Garmin GPS 10 with several 3rd (4th?) party GPS programs (but I haven't tried TomTom). What you definitely can't do is the opposite, i.e. you can't use Garmin's map/POI DVDs with non-Garmin GPS receivers, again because of the map hardware key issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobodobo View Post
    Updates on Garmin: apparently the Mobile 10 is now available - some stores are saying they're in stock, though Garmin's website doesn't seem to know that. Also, I THINK (not sure) that you can use Garmin's BT receivers with TomTom and other mapping software. I know I've used the Garmin GPS 10 with several 3rd (4th?) party GPS programs (but I haven't tried TomTom). What you definitely can't do is the opposite, i.e. you can't use Garmin's map/POI DVDs with non-Garmin GPS receivers, again because of the map hardware key issues.
    I haven't seen it in any stores but I think my husband got my Mobile 10 (I got it as a Christmas gift) from TigerGPS.
    Quote Originally Posted by cash70 View Post
    ... The one thing I would check is if the person already has a mount for their phone. Some bundles come with a free mount such as: BT-338 and TomTom 6.
    That link says "for the ... Treo 650". The OP is asking about for a 680. Any reasons that combo wouldn't work on his brother's 680 or a 700p?

One more question about the BT reciever with Treo 680 combo: Since people say the 680 has shorter battery life, will this be an issue? (Perhaps the OP's brother will just have the 680 on a car charger.) Might need a Y cigarette lighter cable to also keep the BT receiver charged. -- Just some (hopefully helpful) questions.

-- Bob
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Other threads have reported that Mobile XT works on the 700p, so one would assume that the 680 would work also (famous last words.)

I have a Y cigarette lighter cord, though I've found that the battery in the GPS 10 receiver unit lasts at least a full day, so real-time recharging is not necessary. I presume the same would apply to the Mobile 10 receiver.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12