1.    #1  
    I had a problem with Agendus after I upgraded a Premier edition on my 650. I couldn't get it to sync afterwards....had to revert back to plain Agendus Professional....now the same thing has happened to the 680 install. Anyone else?

I hate this...Ugh!
    I'm not an Agendus user (just a wannabe, based on all the glowing reviews), but I did load the trial version (latest--ver. 11.06) on my 680 today. It worked fine (note: I only sync'd one Memo to test the Voice and Notepad functions) but MY GAWD it was slow. Took a full 15 SECONDS to load Agendus Pro each time.

Can you say "bloatware"? I knew that you could. Feels even slower than your average Winblows app. I use my Palm quickly, dozens (hundreds?) of times in a business day. GTD afficionado here, and I'm paperless, so without the Palm I can't function. If I had to wait 15 seconds every time I needed to check my Tasks or peek at my Calendar, I'd go crazy.

Sad that they don't offer a streamlined version without all of the fancy schmancy views, etc.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by brad_h View Post
    Can you say "bloatware"? I knew that you could. Feels even slower than your average Winblows app. I use my Palm quickly, dozens (hundreds?) of times in a business day. GTD afficionado here, and I'm paperless, so without the Palm I can't function. If I had to wait 15 seconds every time I needed to check my Tasks or peek at my Calendar, I'd go crazy.

Sad that they don't offer a streamlined version without all of the fancy schmancy views, etc.
    I'm the say way....I hate to haul around paper but need fast start up and responses. Agendus has been very very slow in loading on the 680.....
    Agendus is slow to load if you have a lot of calendar events, especially those with notes in them as it has to process every note to see if there's something "special" in it for it to pay attention to.

Unfortunately Iambic's solution is to purge old events. Personally I don't have a problem with Agendus startup. It takes about 4s for it to load for me (on my 650..)
    As Khaytus points out - Agendus reviews the notes field in the calendar and it also does so for Tasks and Contacts. If you have a lot of contacts with notes field used then it's not so bad. However, the Tasks fields - especially the older tasks that are completed are where things will slow down more.

If you have used Datebk4,5 or 6 - Pimlico moves all of the notes and prioritizes them with their notes and this will slow down Agendus as well. Pimlico now includes a method to remove their notes or "tags" as they are called.

My suggestion is to go over to Iambic and review the threads and see the various ways to speed it up and or PM Michael over there and ask him to review your specific databases for some suggestions.
    Moose Man
    Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
    iPhone 3G, Treo 750, 680, 650, 600 and T5, T3, T, M515, M505, Vx, V, Prizm, Visor, IIIc, IIIe, Palm Pilot Professional, Palm Pilot (ok boys and girls a whopping 128k of memory - those were the days) and former Palm Beta tester.
    Yes, I've been using Outlook since 1996, so I have 10 years of Calendar data. Many thousands of items. Not just for scheduling, but as an electronic diary of sorts. I look back at historical stuff pretty infrequently, but when I do search it (When was the last time I saw this client?) it's because I need to know. Now. On my Palm. Purging is a very poor solution to this issue...seems like a better solution for Iambic would be to have their software only analyze recent Calendar entries during startup. Doesn't seem like that would be very difficult to implement, but I'm not a programmer.
    RSGMOOSE,
    I operate smoothly with Outlook and the default Palm apps/conduits. Made it very easy for me to implement GTD, since I was already so electronic.

In the case of Agendus, I've never heard someone say "This app changed my life", so I have zero motivation to go search their user forums for solutions to the app's slow performance. If it's critical to "tweak" my data to ensure the app is usable at all (I would actually consider 4 seconds to be too slow), the author should mention that in marketing the app, or at least in a ReadMeFirst.txt file in the install package.
    Brad, most users of Agendus will commonly purge items for speed purposes. It's a drawback of Agendus but also a feature that it uses the native databases already onboard the Palm for the PIM functions. Purging items and some speed issues are addressed in the manual. Datebk 6 does the same thing but not to the degree that Agendus uses these functions.

I hear what you are saying and in your case - if you need to keep 10 years of data then I'm going to suggest that you do not use Agendus and use something along the lines of either the default PIM applications or either Key Suite or Beyond Contacts which use proprietary databases and not the native databases as Agendus uses.

The suggestion to somehow "house" the older data in a separate database or some other way to speed up the "tag" issue of using notes - well it has been suggested before and I can state that Agendus is reveiwing some additional possibilities to help speed up the huge databases - similar to yours. Datbk 6 has a method to segregate their databases which does allow for their speed to be faster but they also don't tag all of the databases as Agendus does....they are vastly different programs.

I've been an Agendus user since 1998 - and I have thousands of Contacts and Tasks and don't notice the slow downs that others report. But being a heavy Palm user, I have a tendency to do more maintenance then many others and as such wouldn't notice it. Iambic is reviewing the speed issue and will hopefully address it for the larger databases such as yours. Most users do not have 10 years worth of data and as such don't see an issue.
    Moose Man
    Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
    iPhone 3G, Treo 750, 680, 650, 600 and T5, T3, T, M515, M505, Vx, V, Prizm, Visor, IIIc, IIIe, Palm Pilot Professional, Palm Pilot (ok boys and girls a whopping 128k of memory - those were the days) and former Palm Beta tester.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    Agendus is slow to load if you have a lot of calendar events, especially those with notes in them as it has to process every note to see if there's something "special" in it for it to pay attention to.

Unfortunately Iambic's solution is to purge old events. Personally I don't have a problem with Agendus startup. It takes about 4s for it to load for me (on my 650..)

I purged old events and it loads much much faster.....hope I don't need to look back.....