1.    #1  
    After weeks of mistakenly hating Kinoma for been such a great product with buffering problems while streaming video I found out why I was having issues.

I have a Treo 700p and I used a 2GB PNY SD card formated as
    format /FS:FAT /a:32K g:
    and loaded with TomTom 6 and lots of junk

The card still had some space. It had about 20MB of space and my RAM space was about 20MB. However, Kinoma was just a dog at streaming video, even on EVDO areas Kinoma would prefer to download video rather than playing it.

The problem was a combiination of things:

The first thing I noticed was that it is not a good idea to use the same SD card you loaded TomTom and its maps as the one you use for storing programs, pictures and music. It seems like the big chunks of data that the maps occupy make the card slower. So I got now a single card dedicated for TomTom, backups and old programs.

The second problem is that the way I formatted the card made things actually slower for both Kinoma and TomTom 6. So just keep your card formatted as it came from the factory or just as plain FAT

The other problem is that it really makes a big difference the actual speed of your card, since Kinoma will store video buffering on the card and try to play it at the same time. Therefore, I would recommend buying one of those high speed SD cards.

I hope this helps some of you who are wondering why Kinoma is not as good as some others report it is.

Al
    Yep, you did a lot of research - you should have asked... <G>

Ben
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    Yep, you did a lot of research - you should have asked... <G>

Ben
    This thread is meant to be for those who need help or are having issues and not for the smart users like you.

Al
    Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    Treolo, I appreciate it. Thanks..........
    Cigar,
    VZW 755p
    VAJA Orange Case, Custom takephone skin (Thanks NachoB), Chatter, PalmRevolt, treolauncher, and a bunch of other stuff
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    I'm using a fast Patriot 2 gb card, and Kinoma works great, EXCEPT with softick's SAG for bluetooth. Unfortunatley, even with their new beta, I get terrible skipping. It works fine in pocket tunes. I hope that softick and/or Kinoma will fix this soon...
    Global Posts
    90 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Treolo View Post
    The second problem is that the way I formatted the card made things actually slower for both Kinoma and TomTom 6. So just keep your card formatted as it came from the factory or just as plain FAT
    Are you saying that formating the card as FAT instead of FA32 will boost the performance? That's strange because FAT32 is a newer standard.
    Are you saying that everything needs to be on the card? I have 4EX and over half of what I want won't work. Continue to get the "insufficient bandwidth" and "playback performance too high" messages. I have tried all options on the "prefer download to streaming", card and no card, with no improvement. IF I do a performance test during the playing, I get a great 20 seconds during the test...then it just plain stops.
    Any suggestions? Treo 700P - Sprint EVDO network. Thanks.
    Last edited by Mort; 01/16/2007 at 09:52 AM. Reason: spelling
    If you are streaming..how does the card play into this?
    Global Posts
    90 Global Posts
    When you stream there is a buffer of the content that is stored on the device. Not sure where Kinoma stores that buffer. It may just use internal memory for it and the card just for downloads.
    Technically I can test this by removing the SDcard while streaming a streamable content. If it stores in the buffer is stored in the card then I will have definite buffering issue. If it doesn't then we know buffering is stored internally.
    Still doesn't make sense why Kinoma would buffer using the SDcard. Then that would mean Kinoma wouldve specified that SDcard is required to run Kinoma player4.
  12.    #12  
    Kinoma EX does indeed buffer all streaming video to the SD card if there is not enough RAM memory to store the video. Most likely you will be using your SD card as a buffer. I can guarantee that if you get a faster card or format your SD cad your performance is going to get way better than before.

Al