1.    #1  
    After reading feedback from a few other posts - I downloaded Minitones.

Here's my question:

Does it solely use mp3s already on the smartphone and allow you to set them up as ringtones - or can it be used to transfer mp3s onto the smartphone?

Thanks!
    Minitones only uses mp3's already on your SD card (not in RAM, i.e. on the smartphone).

But it's trivial to put mp3's on your SD card. Get a USB SD card reader for a few bucks, then create a folder called "AUDIO" (without the quotes) on your SD card, then copy mp3s to that folder.

It's a good idea to use iTunes or whatever desktop mp3 application you use to reduce the bit rate of the mp3s before transferring them to the SD card. The card itself has plenty of space, but your RAM space (where the ringtones have to be, which is where Minitones puts them) is very limited, and you really don't need high fidelity mp3s just for ringtones.

Once you've created the ringtone, you can over-write the low-bit-rate mp3 with a higher bit rate mp3 if you want to listen to the whole song at full quality. Once the ringtone is created, minitones and the phone app don't use the source file on the SD card any more - in fact you could remove the SD card and you'd still have the working ringtone in RAM.

By the way, if you're trying to avoid buying an SD card, DON'T. A 2 GB card only costs $30 or so nowadays, and 1 GB cards are so cheap they're almost expendable.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by bobodobo View Post
    Minitones only uses mp3's already on your SD card (not in RAM, i.e. on the smartphone).

But it's trivial to put mp3's on your SD card. Get a USB SD card reader for a few bucks, then create a folder called "AUDIO" (without the quotes) on your SD card, then copy mp3s to that folder.

It's a good idea to use iTunes or whatever desktop mp3 application you use to reduce the bit rate of the mp3s before transferring them to the SD card. The card itself has plenty of space, but your RAM space (where the ringtones have to be, which is where Minitones puts them) is very limited, and you really don't need high fidelity mp3s just for ringtones.

Once you've created the ringtone, you can over-write the low-bit-rate mp3 with a higher bit rate mp3 if you want to listen to the whole song at full quality. Once the ringtone is created, minitones and the phone app don't use the source file on the SD card any more - in fact you could remove the SD card and you'd still have the working ringtone in RAM.

By the way, if you're trying to avoid buying an SD card, DON'T. A 2 GB card only costs $30 or so nowadays, and 1 GB cards are so cheap they're almost expendable.

OK...I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the info!