Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    I know there is already a thread for the Jawbone, and I listed some initial impressions there, but there was not really a formal review of the unit so here it is:

Unboxing/ Included accessories - The Jawbone comes in a clear plastic jewel case that contains two small boxes, one with a A/C to USB adapter and dedicated USB charging cable (the wall adapter can alse be used to charge other USB devices such as an iPod by plugging any USB cable). The other box inculdes 3 additional earloops (1 left and two right (the unit had the 2nd left earloop preinstalled). and 4 additional earpieces in varying sizes and configurations. The earpieces are not the gel type like the Jabras or the ones that come with the Plantronics 640/655, but they seem to provide a varied fit that should suit just about everyone. The unit itself is mounted on a clear plastic "perch" inside the clear jewel case. Pretty good packaging!

Comfort & Fit - This category is highly subjective, but if you are used to headsets that use earloops, then this one will feel very similar. My last headset, a Plantronics 640 had an earloop option that I used to help keep it in place. The Jawbone's earloops are slightly larger than the Plantronics, but much thinner than the Sony or Motorola units. The Jawbone is heavier than some, but lighter than others, so your opinion will depend on what you're used to. Overall comfort is very good and comparable to any other unit I've tried.

Appearance - Again, this is a subjective category. The design could probably be a little less conspicouous, but it's not the worst one I've seen either. The "cheese grater" look is unique, but not necessarily stunning. The buttons are easy to find and press while on your ear and basically drama free. Interestingly, there are no volume controls on the unit itself as it supposedly monitors the ambient noise and automatically adjusts itself. Battery life seems fine at about 6.5 hours of talk time.

Yes, this unit is substantially larger than the smallest offerings like the Plantronics 640/655, but I guess most people who don't use a BT headset think we look like dorks with any type of headset on, so for me it boils down to the next category, peformance.

And performance is where this unit shines. I have tried about 10 different BT headsets, two of which claimed to have DSP to reduce background noise (the Plantrnoics 510 and 655). Let me just say that compared to the Jawbone, the others' claim of DSP is wishful thinking at best. I wish I could post the voicemail examples of other so-called DSP enabled devices so you can get a true idea of how amazing the Jawbone is, but I can't so you'll have to take my word on it. This one really works. The example I described yesterday involved a small echoey bathroom, whirring fans & flushing toilets (you get the idea). No tinkles, no echo, no fan noise, only one tiny blip when I first flushed the toilet, but as I said, if I didn't know what the sound was, it there would have been no way to know. The unit did pick up a small amount of background noise when I cranked up my Klipsh 2.1 PC speakers, but my voice was still clear and separate from the music, sounding as if maybe the music was in another room or something. The unit filtered out all engine and road noise in my car, but my friend did say he heard a little talk radio in the background (I puposely left it on at full listening level rather than turning it down as part of the experiment). Still, my voice was separate from the background noise and was crystal clear.

Sounds pretty good so far, right? Well, it get's even better. Incoming volume is loud and clear, even with moderate to heavy background noise. Maybe most importantly, I have not been able to coax one ounce of static out of this unit. I have traveled up to about 20 feet away and carried on a conversation without the slightest scratch or pop. And you know that annoying static when you have your Treo in your left pocket and your headset on your right ear? Gone. Can you tell I love this thing?

Pairing was easy, and the unit picks up instantaneously on both incoming and outgoing calls. There is no delay whatsoever. Another bonus.

So here's the bottom line. The only trade off is styling and size, if you happen to think that the Jawbone is large and/or unattractive. I am more than willing to sacrifice a little style to enjoy the nearly flawless performance. This my friends, is what Bluetooth should be. The Jawbone is the reference device by which all other units should be measured. Simply amazing.
    Last edited by golferal; 12/27/2006 at 07:02 PM.
    Wonderful review! I wish you could elaborate on the materials and the initial quality a little more.

So the plug has a USB input to power other devices that utilize a USB cord (i.e. Seidio Sync n Charge)? If so, that is cool! I think the size is a good trade off for features and battery-life. I cant wait to get mine!
    does it pair well with the 700p?
    ~bean

palm IIIxe, tungsten t, tx, and now...a treo 700P
    palm all the way.
    So the prediction of the delicate metal earhook came true as I had it in my front pants pocket, leaned ovcer a sofa, and the metal earhook snapped in half where it connects to the jawbone. So I have one piece that is in the jawbone like a toothpick and the earhook..

Luckily there is another right earhook replacement, although larger. I emailed them hoping they can send me a new one.

I'm still a fan of the nokia bh-900, as that has been 6 months in my jeans pocket with no issues.

Still like this headset, just wished I loved it.
    Last edited by smartphone; 12/27/2006 at 06:13 PM.
    Global Posts
    90 Global Posts
    great review, golferal! i picked up a jawbone from a cingular store a couple of days ago as well and like it a lot so far - i completely agree on your assessment of its performance.

i couldn't get it to fit well with any of the earloops, and so have switched to just inserting the earpiece in my ear (using one of the oval-shaped earpieces included) and this works well for me. i think the style of the headset is fine. the plastic seems sturdy enough so far, but time will tell how well it will hold up in the long run. it would have been nice if the "cheese grater" portion were made of metal, but i'm sure that wouldn't be too good for the bluetooth signal, and could make it heavier, depending on the metal used. it connects very quickly to my 680 (much faster than the sony ericsson hbh-662 i've been using). all in all, i'd recommend this headset as well.
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    Wonderful review! I wish you could elaborate on the materials and the initial quality a little more.

So the plug has a USB input to power other devices that utilize a USB cord (i.e. Seidio Sync n Charge)? If so, that is cool! I think the size is a good trade off for features and battery-life. I cant wait to get mine!
    I thought about that after I read what I had wrote! The unit is very well designed and uses high quality plastics and thoughtful design. The inward facing plastic is gloss black, as is the rear edge (which is where the charger plugs in). The outward facing plastic (cheese grater looking part) feels like a rubberized plastic, but also seems to be high quality. One of the cool design elements is that there are no exposed buttons on the device. Instead, the on/off/call pickup/hangup button is hidden behind the cheese grater surface and is marked by a very subtle nub on the surface. The button that turns the DSP on and off is likewise hidden behind the black plastic towards the rear end of the unit near the charging port. Both are easy to find and operate with the unit on your ear.

A couple of the subtle but cool engineering ideas (aside from the technology) on this unit are related to the earloop. For one, the rubber piece that rests against the back of your ear is flexible (kinda like a thick rubber band) does not irritate as a rigid or semi rigid plastic might. Also, the earloop is slightly spring loaded to keep the sensor button on the inward facing portion gently resting against your cheek, enabling the DSP to do its thing properly. Very neat.

I have tested the wall adapter with my iPod and its proprietary cable and also my son's Zen Vision W which uses a standard USB to mini USB cable and both worked fine. This is a nice little bonus!
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bean View Post
    does it pair well with the 700p?
    Don't know about the 700p, but it was a breeze with the 700wx.
    Last edited by golferal; 12/27/2006 at 07:01 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by golferal View Post
    I thought about that after I read what I had wrote! The unit is very well designed and uses high quality plastics and thoughtful design. The inward facing plastic is gloss black, as is the rear edge (which is where the charger plugs in). The outward facing plastic (cheese grater looking part) feels like a rubberized plastic, but also seems to be high quality. One of the cool design elements is that there are no exposed buttons on the device. Instead, the on/off/call pickup/hangup button is hidden behind the cheese grater surface and is marked by a very subtle nub on the surface. The button that turns the DSP on and off is likewise hidden behind the black plastic towards the rear end of the unit near the charging port. Both are easy to find and operate with the unit on your ear.

A couple of the subtle but cool engineering ideas (aside from the technology) on this unit are related to the earloop. For one, the rubber piece that rests against the back of your ear is flexible (kinda like a thick rubber band) does not irritate as a rigid or semi rigid plastic might. Also, the earloop is slightly spring loaded to keep the sensor button on the inward facing portion gently resting against your cheek, enabling the DSP to do its thing properly. Very neat.

I have tested the wall adapter with my iPod and its proprietary cable and also my son's Zen Vision W which uses a standard USB to mini USB cable and both worked fine. This is a nice little bonus!
    Thanks! It sounds (and looks) like design was definitely put into engineering prowess that made it functional!

Don't know about the 700p, but it was a breeze with the 700wx.
    Dont they have the same Bluetooth radio?
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    Dont they have the same Bluetooth radio?
    Probably, but the pairing process has more to do with the software controlling the radio than the radio itself. I had so many problems with the BT on my 700p that I exchanged it for the 700wx. In retrospect it was a good choice becuase I find myself multitasking quite a bit now, and the P just can't match the WX in that regard.
    Probably, but the pairing process has more to do with the software controlling the radio than the radio itself. I had so many problems with the BT on my 700p that I exchanged it for the 700wx. In retrospect it was a good choice becuase I find myself multitasking quite a bit now, and the P just can't match the WX in that regard.
    Well, once I get this jawbone, I hope all will be fine. Maybe the firmware update will patch some issues. Thanks for your input! Keep it coming and let us know of any caveats if you come across more! Same goes with advantages!
    also curious if this works with the 700p??
    Quote Originally Posted by brokenbricks View Post
    also curious if this works with the 700p??
    Just started using it with my 700p. Amazingly quiet. None of the background static that I've heard with every other bluetooth headset I've tried with the Treo. Almost the same sound quality as The Boom that I usually use.
    Quote Originally Posted by martinreu View Post
    Just started using it with my 700p. Amazingly quiet. None of the background static that I've heard with every other bluetooth headset I've tried with the Treo. Almost the same sound quality as The Boom that I usually use.
    Are you saying that when you make test calls to your voicemail it is clear or are you referring to the incoming sound being clear?
    I found the Aliph to be very disappointing. Terrible fit and too many DSP problems. The BT range also wasn\'t very good. The WEP200 has much, much better range. The Aliph also has too much echo on the other end.
    I just got one today and all I can say is WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Everyone I have talked on it say it sounds great and they sound great on my end....So far one of the best headset I have used so far and I have had a few.

Motorola H850
    Plantronics 320
    Bluespoon AX2
    Plantronics 640 - twice
    Plantronics 655
    Plantronics 510 - I have 2 of these
    Plantronics 330a
    Plantronics 350
    Nokia BH-900
    SE 610
    WEP 200

So many BT headsets and so many that have NOT meet my needs!
    Last edited by str8bucs; 12/28/2006 at 10:05 PM. Reason: forgot to add NOT
    Quote Originally Posted by str8bucs View Post
    I just got one today and all I can say is WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Everyone I have talked on it say it sounds great and they sound great on my end....So far one of the best headset I have used so far and I have had a few.

Motorola H850
    Plantronics 320
    Bluespoon AX2
    Plantronics 640 - twice
    Plantronics 655
    Plantronics 510 - I have 2 of these
    Plantronics 330a
    Plantronics 350
    Nokia BH-900
    SE 610
    WEP 200

So many BT headsets and so many that have NOT meet my needs!
    What specifically do you like about the Jawbone that you didnt like about your previous (what a list!) headsets? (merely a question to get you to elaborate so that we can form a better opinion of this interesting headset)
    mind you these have been tryed on 3 T650's and 1 T680

Motorola H850 - Static on all
    Plantronics 320 - Ear piece made my ear sore
    Bluespoon AX2 - Static
    Plantronics 640 - Broke
    Plantronics 655 - broke
    Plantronics 510 - Nice but bulky - Current until I got the Jawbone
    Plantronics 330a - Same as 320
    Plantronics 350 - Same as 320
    Nokia BH-900 - Big and bulky
    SE 610 - Not loud enough
    WEP 200 - Always fell out!

JAWBONE - So far PERFECT!
    I\'ve owned the following:

AX - average
    AX2 - great battery life, average range
    AX2 Pro - great volume, best noise reduction of any headset
    IV835 - good comfort but suspect stability
    BH800 - terrible comfort, eargels don\'t fit
    BH900 - huge, uncomfortable
    X3 - great volume, average range
    645 - waste of money
    655 - better than the 645 but too much lag
    JX10 - good range, great comfort with eargel, DSP clipping
    NC1 - the best A2DP in the smallest package
    WEP200 - perfect fit with eargel and best range
    JB - DSP clipping, terrible fit, huge size
    Anyone in Denver buy this headset? I can't find them anywhere. Most Ingular reps knw nothing about it, I found one guy that said because of the snow none have arrived.
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    I purchased this product and also think it has the best sound of any of the multiple headsets I have used including Jabras, SonyEricssons and Plantronics.

I had a little problem with my selected earloop staying IN the slot on the headset unit, but a little creative wire bending seems to have helped that situation a lot.

After some practice, i find it easy to slip onto my ear when a call comes in, but I wish that, like the Sony Ericsson headsets, there was some sort of lanyard to wear the thing around my neck: I find it bulky and uncomfortable in my pocket - a place were the earloop detachment issue is exacerbated.

So, in summary: the best audio in a BT headset (IMHO)? Yes! By far!

Best designed for the ergonomics of real-worl use? Not yet.

Would I recommend it over all other headsets I have used? Yes!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast