Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I know that two of the main issues with the Jawbone headet are small sound and not fitting well with the supplied earpieces and ear hooks. I messes around with mine last night and tried various different ear pieces. I tried the jabra eargels which made the Jawbone fit but, it sticks out of your ear really far. I finally noticed that if you look at the back of the factory eargels, there is a plastic insert that is glued to the inside of the rubber part. I removed the rubber and was left with the plastic part that actually mounts to the headset. I had success with the Samsung wep-200 headset staying in with increased sound level using an eargel from a bluespoon ax2. I used superglue to attach the ax-2 eargel to the plastic insert that attaches to the Jawbone and vuala, perfect fit, stays in the ear perfect and the sound is much louder. it makes the caller not sound so tiny and far away and is very comfortable. I just wanted to let you guys know my experience. By the way, the headset also doesn't stick as far out of the ear.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    What specifically do you like about the Jawbone that you didnt like about your previous (what a list!) headsets? (merely a question to get you to elaborate so that we can form a better opinion of this interesting headset)
    I too have tried about 8-10 other headsets. All of them had major weak points when it came to performance, most commonly static when my phone was in the opposite pocket from the headset (left front pocket, right ear) and picking up too much background noise.

The Jawbone has only two major drawbacks: it's big and ugly (IMO). As I said in my review, I am happy to sacrafice a little style for the performance this headset provides. I honestly can't understand some of the negative comments earlier in this thread. I have not experienced any DSP clipping and range has most certainly not been an issue with my 700wx. Maybe the BT radio is different in the other Treo models, but I can whole heartedly vouch for this unit's performance with the WX.
    I know the old saying: 'Individual mileage may vary.' But I don't think the BT radios are different at all between the p and the wx. It is interesting how some are saying the clipping is really bad. Has anyone tried the headset w/ the DSP off to see if the clipping occurs?

As far as the range goes, I have had the same BT headset for 2+ years and sometimes I can go beyond 33 ft w/o a crackle or pop and other times it won't be happy 4 ft from the phone! There has to be some scientific way to test it under ideal conditions.
    Treo 300->Treo 600->Treo 650->Treo 700p-> Palm Pre-> Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch (32GB Launch-day Touchpad sustains my webOS need for now)
    No clipping with the DSP turned off. The problem must be with the DSP and the fact that you must have the headset touching your face at all times or the headset craps out.
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    No clipping with the DSP turned off. The problem must be with the DSP and the fact that you must have the headset touching your face at all times or the headset craps out.
    Thats exactly what I was thinking. Thanks nsxprime!
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    ** Review update **

OK, So I've been using the Jawbone for at least a couple of weeks now and have the following observations:

1) I had some strange pairing issues. The unit would show as a trusted device in the Treo's listing, but would not pick up the call. Don't know if this was the phone or the headset. Refreshing the device on the Treo and/or a a soft reset usually fixed the problem. This issue has since gone away and everything works fine.

2) I have noticed that outgoing voice volume has a direct impact on the effectiveness of the noise cancelling feature. So, if you're in noisy surroundings, speaking in a normal or soft voice will cause the unit to pick up more backgound noise. Raising your voice a little seems to help. Not exactly as advertised, but I can live with it.

3) I'm still very pleased with the lack of static and overall call quality in this device. I had to use my Plantronics 640 one day when I left the Jawbone at home and was reminded of how much better the Jawbone is. I even tried my friends Samsung WEP200 while at CES and am still satisfied with my purchase.

I did see the Samsung WEP400 at CES with "bone conduction michrophone". No details on a release date, but it looks interesting!
    this is the first BT i have tried so its hard to compare. keep in mind i drive a semi and the background noise is very high. i tried this for 2 nights trying different gels and the different ear backing things. although there was some noise reduction it wasnt that great, and the incoming call volume wasnt that high either. so i returned it. $120 for a phone accessory, it should perform better imo
    i purchased a jawbone the other day and all i can say is wow. the dsp works great. i work in a manufacturing plant so i gave it one heck of a test as far as background noise goes, it performes great! i called my wife while at work and she said my voice was loud and clear, hardly any background noise. call volume on my end was excellent. since this is the type of place where ear plugs are worn all the time i think it says a lot about the quality of the jawbone. now for my dislikes, i keep waiting for an airplane to land on the side of my head when i go outside because of the led overkill, a half inch wide led is a bit much. the headset loop is just ok, nothing to write home about. the last thing is talking in wind, the wind makes for noticeable background noise to the person on the other end. overall i am pleased with my purchase and overlook the few small details i dislike about the unit. it works great where i need it to, in my vehicle, and at my extremely loud job.
    hope this review was helpful.
    i almost forgot, paired the jawbone with my treo 750 without any issues. have not tried range yet. but will soon.
    Global Posts
    441 Global Posts
    I saw this review on Cnet today. I've been using a JX10 for awhile. Considering switching over.

http://reviews.cnet.com/Aliph_Jawbon...8.html?tag=sas

Any other retailer besides Cingular selling these?
    Last edited by wbwjr; 02/03/2007 at 08:24 AM.
    I have noticed that sometimes, my Jawbone will emit a series of beeps. More often than not, they come after I disconnect with a call. I hear 3 beeps, but sometimes one, after a call has ended. And I have paid much attention to how I end the convo, whether its by the Treo or the Jawbone itself, but it does it sporadically. It never disconnects the bluetooth link, as I can make an immediate call afterwards, but I wonder what it is. Anyone else experiencing this?
    After a little more time, I have discerned that the 3 consecutive beeps denote a loss in BT connection or Roaming. This includes when the Jawbone breaks the range from the Treo. My old TWH would beep when I roamed, but not when it was out of BT range! Cool! Still havent found a way to initiate mute...guess it doesnt have that feature (it doesnt mention it in the manual, but it doesnt mention the beeping I just described, either)!

Great headset...all we need is a wind-sock and Palm's BT patch!
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    I don't think I've ever been so disappointed with a headset as I've been with the Jawbone. It just doesn't fit. My wife, my friends, co-workers, we've all tried it with all the different hook/plug combinations and I can't even give mine away.

Aside from bad fit, it's got very tinny sound out and in. Unfortunately the NXZEN 5000 didn't fit my ear, but it was the best sounding headset I've ever used (though a bit fugly). I'll be buying a 6000 as soon as I can - provided it stays on my ear.
    Quote Originally Posted by jahesh View Post
    I don't think I've ever been so disappointed with a headset as I've been with the Jawbone. It just doesn't fit. My wife, my friends, co-workers, we've all tried it with all the different hook/plug combinations and I can't even give mine away.

Aside from bad fit, it's got very tinny sound out and in. Unfortunately the NXZEN 5000 didn't fit my ear, but it was the best sounding headset I've ever used (though a bit fugly). I'll be buying a 6000 as soon as I can - provided it stays on my ear.
    Really? I love the hooks, but I am going the AX2 Earspring way as soon as they arrive.

I do agree that it has a tinnier (is that a word?) sound than my outgoing TWH, but it is less muddy as well. No one has complained of a difference in my voice (mine is pretty deep). In fact, everyone has agreed that I sound no different or better!

I guess mileage will vary...
    The million dollar question for anyone using this headset with a 700wx is - does this headset loose BT connection to the phone?

I have tried so many BT headsets and many cannot hold the connection to the phone, which becomes highly frustrating!

I appreciate your feedback.
    The Jawbone had a hard time staying connected for me. The WEP200 worked pretty well and was easy to repair by simply hitting the button on the headset to re-establish the connection.

I haven't tried it with the new bluetooth stack though. The new stack is supposed to be much better.
    Just picked up the jawbone a couple days ago. This is the best headset I've used (and I've used a lot of them). The noise reduction is very effective. The other caller can't tell I'm in my car, and there is no clipping like I would get with the JX-10. It is comfortable and gives a nice fit. I can shake my head and doesn't feel like it will fall off. I found that one of the included earbuds gave a snugger fit than the one that already on the headset. Given the design, it seems to me a snug fit is needed for best outgoing voice quality. So far the BT pairing and connection with my 680 have been flawless.

G
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    The Jawbone had a hard time staying connected for me. The WEP200 worked pretty well and was easy to repair by simply hitting the button on the headset to re-establish the connection.

I haven't tried it with the new bluetooth stack though. The new stack is supposed to be much better.
    Pairing hasnt been a problem with my 700p (I know you might be referring to the 700w/wx). It stays paired, and re-pairs automatically if ever taken out of range. I thought the BT stacks were the same on the p's & wx's?

Welcome to the family, GeorgeP!
    One ugly BT headset.I would not put it on my dog in fear of someone kicking him.Pretty sad day in BT technology when you must scarifies style for performance.
    Global Posts
    441 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by slingbox View Post
    One ugly BT headset.I would not put it on my dog in fear of someone kicking him.Pretty sad day in BT technology when you must scarifies style for performance.
    Well at least the person on the other end of the phone call would not be able to hear the dog yelping when someone kicked him (with the superior noise cancelling technology). P.S. Shame on the person that would think of kicking an innocent dog regardless of what he was wearing.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast