Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 85
  1. qwalls's Avatar
    Posts
    162 Posts
    Global Posts
    168 Global Posts
    #21  
    Cross country trips are a plus, and everything running from the card is nice.

    On the negative side, I had about 40 favorites. As I started entering them, 2 of the first 3 addresses couldn't be found, and they were in the previous version! One of the addresses was my home which has been there for over 6 years and the street isn't in TT6 but was in TT5! I've gone back to TT5 for now, but I did load TT6 on a spare 2GB card to play with when I have time. If TomTom used Navtech map data, it would be about perfect.
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by qwalls View Post
    One of the addresses was my home which has been there for over 6 years and the street isn't in TT6 but was in TT5!
    I wonder if this results from using the national map rather than a regional or state map. Have you tried running the same map area that you were using on TT5?
  3. qwalls's Avatar
    Posts
    162 Posts
    Global Posts
    168 Global Posts
    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by jrfaris View Post
    I wonder if this results from using the national map rather than a regional or state map. Have you tried running the same map area that you were using on TT5?

    I had the same thought. I tried the North America Map, the Canada and US map, and the same group of states I was using with TT5. My street is no longer there. For the other missing one, the street is there, but the address isn't.
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by wilme2 View Post
    Well it does come with a new version of the software.

    As previously stated, there are no real directions - You load the "Home" software on your PC, then put your SD card into a reader, and everything goes onto the card. Once complete, you run the app (from the card!), and it will ask you if you want to overwrite the old version in memory.

    I haven't had much time to play, but the big news for me is that you can plan a route across the country all at once. (No more changing maps! Cross country trips were a joke!). I loaded the entire North America map at 1.4gb, plus the app and all the english voices, and still have 400mb left on my 2gb card.
    As fate would have it, mine did show up yesterday. I haven't done much beyond inspecting the box yet, and you are correct that it labeled in a confusing manner (implies that it contains only the maps).

    BUT, it also has a compatibily list in the small print on the back, and says these maps are compatible only with Navigator 6 (along with the GO products). Thus I would have concluded that Navigator 6 IS on the DVD since they sold me the DVD as an UPGRADE from Navigator 5.

    Elementary, Watson!

    Cheers,
    ChickenHawk
    Treo 755p / Sprint
  5. #25  
    I would assume if it includes a registration card then version 6 of the TT application is included.
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by jrfaris View Post
    I wonder if this results from using the national map rather than a regional or state map. Have you tried running the same map area that you were using on TT5?
    I think it is. Which means it isn't a new feature/functionality, but that since the new software (and the price/size of SD cards) makes it easier to load the whole North American map, users are more likely to load the whole enchilada, and hence have a better experience.

    I am not sure if it is my new 700p or the new Navigator 6, but bluetooth seems to take significantly longer to connect than my 650p with Navigator 5.
  7. wbwjr's Avatar
    Posts
    440 Posts
    Global Posts
    441 Global Posts
    #27  
    Nav 6 is definitely on the upgrade. After using it all day today, it is definitely worth the price. Huge improvement over TT5!
  8. n0m0n's Avatar
    Posts
    140 Posts
    Global Posts
    683 Global Posts
    #28  
    Hello I purchased the Palms TomTom Navigation 6 package.
    I tried to use TomTom and it worked great, but i tried to make a call while TomTom and could not get my TREO to dial out without disconnecting from TomTom...
    Thought I should be able to do both and am I way off???
    Thanks
    JW
  9. expidia's Avatar
    Posts
    190 Posts
    Global Posts
    740 Global Posts
    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by wilme2 View Post
    Paypal to pay for the upgrade? What a bunch of #&^^cking amateurs TomTom is...
    I thought that too, but that's your first choice. If you scroll down you can pay by any credit card too! I think! I put it through Paypal and then noticed I could have used a credit card. Weird too that when paying by Paypal you usually have a choice to have it come from your checking account or there has always been a second option and you can pay thru your credit card within Paypal.

    But when I clicked submit it never gave me a chance to choose my card. It just took the order. The exact same thing happened when I bought the Zoti short antenna today. I was waiting for the pay with credit card option and it never appeared as it used to. It automatically routes the payment thru your checking account now. They are getting out of paying a fee for you using your CC now. . . Screw you PAYPAL!

    Paypal seems to be screwing us now by eliminating that choice when you are paying a vendor that is linked to Paypal
    Last edited by Expidia; 01/12/2007 at 07:22 PM.
    Palm III,V>6035>7135>650>700p (on Vzn), PalmBT Treo Hdset>i-Trek BT GPS>TomTom Nav6>755p
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by wilme2 View Post
    Well it does come with a new version of the software.

    As previously stated, there are no real directions - You load the "Home" software on your PC, then put your SD card into a reader, and everything goes onto the card. Once complete, you run the app (from the card!), and it will ask you if you want to overwrite the old version in memory.

    I haven't had much time to play, but the big news for me is that you can plan a route across the country all at once. (No more changing maps! Cross country trips were a joke!). I loaded the entire North America map at 1.4gb, plus the app and all the english voices, and still have 400mb left on my 2gb card.
    You think crossing the country is bad, in Europe it was a nightmare between countries. Be Because if you were just driving through the country, you had to guess border locations and pick those, until you crossed and then you had to pick the next border, and the repick again on the other side.
  11. wbwjr's Avatar
    Posts
    440 Posts
    Global Posts
    441 Global Posts
    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by n0m0n View Post
    Hello I purchased the Palms TomTom Navigation 6 package.
    I tried to use TomTom and it worked great, but i tried to make a call while TomTom and could not get my TREO to dial out without disconnecting from TomTom...
    Thought I should be able to do both and am I way off???
    Thanks
    Unfortunately if you have a CDMA phone it cannot handle both tasks at the same time. Yes it is very frustrating but I have learned to live with it. I think this works on GSM but I'm not sure. If a call comes in while using TT, you can answer and get knocked out of the program or hit the ignore button and stick with the navigating. If you get a voice mail notification, just hit listen later button and you'll stay with TT.
  12. n0m0n's Avatar
    Posts
    140 Posts
    Global Posts
    683 Global Posts
    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by wbwjr View Post
    Unfortunately if you have a CDMA phone it cannot handle both tasks at the same time. Yes it is very frustrating but I have learned to live with it. I think this works on GSM but I'm not sure. If a call comes in while using TT, you can answer and get knocked out of the program or hit the ignore button and stick with the navigating. If you get a voice mail notification, just hit listen later button and you'll stay with TT.

    I actually have a GSM phone, and what you are describing is correct.
    But I thought that I could have a conversation, and still be in TomTom...
    What is the sense if I need to call someone for whatever reason and still have directions as to where I am going???

    I know that you can with the TomTom units since they are BT...
    BT which is another thing, since my GPS is a BT unit and there is no way to wire it in ( I like the fact that isn't BT) but I can t sue my headset either..
    If my headset is enabled then the GPS cant be found.
    I understand why but it kinda defeats my purpose.
    Guess I should look at a stand along unit even though I wanted a all in one solution.

    Thanks
    JW
  13. wbwjr's Avatar
    Posts
    440 Posts
    Global Posts
    441 Global Posts
    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by n0m0n View Post
    I actually have a GSM phone, and what you are describing is correct.
    But I thought that I could have a conversation, and still be in TomTom...
    What is the sense if I need to call someone for whatever reason and still have directions as to where I am going???

    I know that you can with the TomTom units since they are BT...
    BT which is another thing, since my GPS is a BT unit and there is no way to wire it in ( I like the fact that isn't BT) but I can t sue my headset either..
    If my headset is enabled then the GPS cant be found.
    I understand why but it kinda defeats my purpose.
    Guess I should look at a stand along unit even though I wanted a all in one solution.

    Thanks

    I use a Jabra JX-10 with the TT BT receiver. The calls still go through the headset if I choose to answer the phone (but I still get knocked out of TT). As far as figuring out where to go, I always make a mental note of my next turn so at least I don't miss it if I have to take a call.and then I'll pull off to the side of the road until I finish my call. Sure a stand-alone unit would be nice but if you already have a Treo you can save alot of money and it's very useful if you take an airplane ride and rent a car. The only thing extra you have to carry is the BT receiver.
  14. n0m0n's Avatar
    Posts
    140 Posts
    Global Posts
    683 Global Posts
    #34  
    Yeah its me because I had the thought that this would be a all in one solution and its a little disappointing.
    I should be able to get over it once I see what my limitations are.

    Thanks
    JW
  15. feivel's Avatar
    Posts
    68 Posts
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    #35  
    So the 5.201 version started all these issues needing more dbCache than was available. Did v6 fix this, or make it worse?
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by feivel View Post
    So the 5.201 version started all these issues needing more dbCache than was available. Did v6 fix this, or make it worse?
    For me, v6 made it worse. Much worse. I have to soft reset before running v6 maybe one out of every four times now -- but of course this is just based on a couple of days of use.

    Nevertheless, I'm still happy with the upgrade. I like having the one big North America map. Plus I can now run TomTom with my GPS receiver turned off and the app doesn't constantly interrupt me like it did in v5. I like to sometimes just browse maps and POI.
  17. #37  
    Ok folks,
    I have a Treo 700p with Navigator 5 which I've been running sucessfully for over 6 months. I have been waiting for the new maps as the current ones are out of date as those who use the software must know. The new software and maps come on a single CD with NO instruction, none, NADA. You think if you have your PDA connected to the computer it will recognize it but no. So after hours of waiting to get thru to TomTom support I finally figured out how to install the new $49.00 upgrade to Navigator 5 to Nav 6 with the new upgraded maps. I hope this helps save those from the frustration I had to endure.
    Once you install the "TomTom home" software one must take out your SD card from your phone or Palm and use an SD reader. This is the ONLY way you can get the maps and software loaded on your palm. What I found the cleanest way to do this was to back up my 2 gig SD card on my desktop. Then Reformat the card...scary...Then I used the reader and TomTom was a breeze to install on the card....I loaded the Western US all the English voices and the Navigator 6 software. I put the card back in my phone and wow it worked. The Nav 6 asks if you want to upgrade and a yes answer loads everthing. I then use my card reader and reinstalled all my songs, programs, photos etc and I'm very happy with my new GPS software. I hope this saves some with the "no instruction" software.
    Good Luck with all those soon to recieve the Nav 6 from TomTom.
  18. #38  
    tiger505: Thanks for the installation process, that should be very helpful. One question; I am assuming you left Nav 5 on your Palm and that's how it recognized the need for an upgrade? I'm sure that sounds like a stupid question, but I want to verify that I do not need to remove Nav 5 from the Treo first.

    TIA
  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkY View Post
    tiger505: Thanks for the installation process, that should be very helpful. One question; I am assuming you left Nav 5 on your Palm and that's how it recognized the need for an upgrade? I'm sure that sounds like a stupid question, but I want to verify that I do not need to remove Nav 5 from the Treo first.

    TIA
    Same question tiger505, PLUS: Do I understand you correctly that you do NOT hotsync the Nav 6 app over to the Treo? Thanks.
  20. #40  
    DO NOT hotsync to install TT6. Use a card reader. You do not have to remove TT5 to install TT6. Maps, like music or video, are way too large to waste time hotsyncing. Always use a card reader for these types of items.

    Very simple install with card reader.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions