1.    #1  
    On my Tungsten T3 and whatever version of Palm Desktop came with it, my Voice Memos were synched to the Palm Desktop (everything else went to Outlook). They were wav files, and I'd occasionally email one of those wav files. For example, last month on my wife's birthday I was out of town, so I recorded myself in a Voice Memo singing "Happy Birthday". The file was easily found in my /Palm/User/Voice Memo/Sounds directory, and I just copied/pasted to an email.

After 3 weeks w/ my 680, I opened up the actual Palm Desktop app for the first time tonight, and I do not see a Voice Memo icon on the left panel, nor a way in the menus to display it. AND, I don't see a Voice Memo folder under my User folder in my Palm directory. I also don't see a Voice Memo conduit in Hotsynch's Custom list.

So my Voice Memos are ONLY on my Palm. What's the point of having the app on the phone if the data isn't backed up and usable?

I'm using the Palm Desktop 4.2 that came on the CD.

On a very similar note, I immediately noticed the absence of the Notepad app on the 680. I used it quite frequently on my Tungsten, and those Notes were also synched to Palm Desktop. I got the Notepad.prc (and one other file, I think) from a T5 ROM image and loaded it to my 680. Works A-OK on the device, but of course isn't synching to the Palm Desktop. I wonder if there's a way to enable that, short of reverting to an old copy of Palm Desktop.

thanks for any input.
  2.    #2  
    With some better googling, I answered my own question:

http://forum.brighthand.com/archive/...?t-233849.html

I'm pissed. I held off on converging my Palm and phone mainly because I'm a pretty heavy Voice Memo user. I'm heavy into the Getting Things Done methodology, and find Voice Memo an essential data collection mechanism. Neither the Treo 600 or 650 had easy one-button Voice Memo like my Tungsten 3 does. So when I saw that the 680 had it, I made the leap. I've been enjoying the transition, but little things like this reeeeeaaaly IRK me. Add me to the "might just send the thing back and wait for a better effort" camp. Palm, WTF??????
  3.    #3  
    Still venting here....

For the past 3 years, I've been craving a Treo. When my wife asked why I didn't just buy one, I'd tell here that it would involve too many sacrifices. So I stuck w/ my separate phone and pda.

The easy seamless Voice Memo app was my last real reason for holding out. When I saw that the 680 had Voice Memo, including the side button, exactly like my T3, I purchased within 5 minutes. No brainer.

When showing off my new 680 to friends and coworkers, I was bragging that "Palm finally got it right. Other than the smaller screen (but very Hi-Res!), this thing does everything my my T3 and separate cellphone did, and BETTER, since I don't have to synch the phone to Outlook separately. Now they're together. This is awesome!!"

My exuberance is gone. I can live w/ the battery issue until the firmware is fixed (I bought a spare OEM battery), and I like just about everything else about the phone. But this may end up being a deal breaker for me. I don't want to compromise. I want a Palm that does everything a Palm can do (Voice Memo, Notepad), plus is a decent phone with Bluetooth. Why is that so hard? I'd gladly pay $100 more if the friggin' thing would just do what I want it to do. I've already spent that on spare battery and silly accessories!!
  4.    #4  
    I'm very much beginning to agree with those who say that the 680 is a "Consumer" level intro smartphone. How long do we have to wait for a real Palm smartphone? At this rate, the iPhone and similar competitors are destined to make Palm nothing but a fond memory.
    Hey Brad...

I think if $100 more is not a problem for you, then your problems are very likely solvable.

For voice memos, there are two very solid commercial apps which do sync to your PC: mVoice and CallRec. I actually purchased mVoice but tried and liked CallRec better so now I own/use that. Both can be configured to work off your side button.

You can find a comparison of these two apps -- not the latest versions -- at PalmInfocenter.

As for Notepad, I use the wonderful and free DiddleBug. I don't think your drawings can be sync'ed to the desktop, though. BugMe Notepad is a larger (IMO, bloated) variant which does have a separate PC viewer (extra cost).

BTW... There are a number of other apps which include a voice recorder as an intrinsic component. BugMe is one of them, another is the rather excellent diary program DayNotez from Natara.
    For Notepad, you can just copy the app over from another Palm and it should work fine, sync and all. Voice Memo's a bit of a disappointment, as I have to email it to myself to get the proper AMR file. I'd like to think I'm rather tolerant, but this better be fixed in the next ROM update!
    (PowerPlay Vs) >> palmOne Zire 31 >>
    (palm Tungsten T3)/(palmOne Zire 72s) >> (palm Black Tie Trēo 650 Custom)/
    (palmOne LifeDrive Custom [SanDisk Ultra II CF])/(palm m515)/(palm T|X)
    handspring Visor Deluxe/Tapwave Zodiac 2/palm Trēo 680 Copper Orange

Canuck PDA
  7.    #7  
    PatrickS:
    I do have Diddlebug, but was hoping to use something that synchs to the Desktop. And on the 2 voice recorders, I don't think either of them synch to the Desktop either, but I'll keep researching them and maybe try them. My main objective is the ease of use of the recorded wav file. On my T3, it was right there on my C drive, so I could do anything I wanted with it....email it, play it on the Desktop, archive it forever etc.

For example, I have a 2-year-old recording of my guitar teacher playing Sweet Home Alabama for me, first at 1/2 tempo then full tempo. I listened to that clip every day for a few months (on both the Desktop and the Palm) as I learned the song myself. And I still have it. It's not on my Palm anymore...I long ago archived it on my PC (and backed it up w/ other cherished documents). It's data. It's a file. It's mine.

+Kardboard+:
    I did pull the Notepad app from another Palm device, and it works well on my Palm, but there is no conduit for it to sync to the latest version of Palm Desktop. I wonder if there's an earlier verstion of PD that still has it, and that would still work with syncing Notepad...

And when you say about voice memos that you "email it to get the proper AMR file", I'm not sure what that means. I've looked through my Palm's Internal memory using Filez, and I don't see anything that looks like one of my voice memos. If I could find them there, and have the ability to copy/paste them to the SD card, to then be able to copy them using a card reader to my PC, I could get by. Anybody know where the voice memos are stored (filename, for example)?
    I e-mailed Palm and asked why they didn't have voice memos sync with windows? Also asked them why they didn't have it save on sd card too. They said
    Thank you for contacting Palm Technical Support. My name is Krian and I understand that you want to know if you can synchronize the Voice memo data on your computer. If you create a voice memo, does is store on the internal memory of the Treo or to the expansion card. In addition, you also want to know if you could record a phone conversation. We are very much concerned on your experience regarding this matter. I know how important this is to you and will be providing you with an appropriate resolution.

Antonio, please be informed that if you create a Voice memo on the Treo™ 680 device, it will automatically be stored on the internal memory and not on the card. The reason why it is stored on the internal memory of your Treo device is because, upon performing the HotSync® process, it will be stored inside the backup folder of your username folder.

I do apologize to inform you but the feature that you are looking for is not currently available. However, please be informed that I have already forwarded your concern to our Software Engineers and Product Team for its proper evaluation. Our goal is to provide you with better Palm experience and we will do our best to achieve that.

Please be advised that if any product development or potential changes to existing products were to be made available, it would be formally announced on our website, similar to any other new products or software upgrades.
    If you want one program that does voice and notepad then Agendus is the answer. A lot of GTD people use it. It syncs with windows. Now it cost. But a great program in my opinion.
  9.    #9  
    Hmmmm. I downloaded a trial version of Agendus, and am not impressed, mainly because it's so dang slow. It's very pretty, and full-featured, but it takes 15 SECONDS to load on my 680. I have ver. 11.06. 15 seconds is not acceptable. I use my Palm "on the run". No way can I pause for 15 seconds dozens or hundreds of times a day to get a quick peek at my @Calls action items, my Calendar, or any other item in my system. You say a lot of GTD people use it, but I really don't see how that's possible after playing with it for an hour or so.

I created a test memo, added a Voice Memo as well as a scribbled Note on it, and did a Hotsync. The new Unfiled item in Outlook has this in the entry:
    DRAWING: AGPDrawing-4157441
    VOICE: AGPVoice-1044893183.wav
    It looks like those are just references to files that are still on the Palm, but if I can't get to them on my laptop, they're not as useful to me. I also searched for 'Voice' in the Agendus Pro manual, but couldn't find mention of a Voice recording being sync'd. Any ideas on that?

Agendus also doesn't provide for one-touch recording using the Side button. When I do a Voice Memo, it's because that's the very easiest/quickest way to collect the data (which I'll later transcribe into a Memo or Calendar or Task item). From what I'm seeing when creating Voice Memos in Agendus, in the time it takes to open Agendus, open a new Memo, tab over to the Voice Memo screen, etc, I could have just typed in the item using the keyboard or used Grafiti Anywhere to input it. Voice Memo (as I use it) is the same as scribbling a thought on a piece of paper and throwing it in my Inbox for later processing. If it's not easy, it's useless. I'm as paperless as any GTD user you'll find...I'm a road warrior who travels every week for my job, and I travel light.

So in looking for a replacement for Palm's crappy Voice Memo app, I'm trying out Audacity, CallRec, and mVoice.

All are pretty similar in function/performance. As of now I'm leaning toward Audacity, since it has so many ways of tweaking recording (levels, compression settings, etc), as well as the ability to map buttons however I desire. I really like the on-screen "soft menus" that correspond to the buttons and help remind me how I programmed the keys. And its recorded files sound a little better to me than the other 2, even though they're smaller. It includes a Hotsync conduit so that wav files get backed up to my User directory on my PC, just like Palm Voice Memo used to do.

CallRec is pretty simple. Recording using the Side button starts instantaneously (faster than the other 2). It has a conduit just like Audacity.

mVoice has a very pretty UI, and I like that it has SD card reader functionality built into it (instead of a sync conduit). But my voice recordings, when played back, are overdriving the speaker (crackling and dropout). It's better if I hold it about a foot from my mouth, but my voice memos are often recorded during conversations or meetings, with the device held close to my mouth and nearly whispered. So if I'm not able to adjust the mic gain, mVoice drops to 3rd place.

It does look like one of these will easily replace what I was used to having on my T3: Voice Memos that sync'd to my desktop so I could use the files however I wanted. So I'm excited by that, and will be keeping my 680.
    Hmmmm. I downloaded a trial version of Agendus, and am not impressed, mainly because it's so dang slow. It's very pretty, and full-featured, but it takes 15 SECONDS to load on my 680. I have ver. 11.06. 15 seconds is not acceptable. I use my Palm "on the run". No way can I pause for 15 seconds dozens or hundreds of times a day to get a quick peek at my @Calls action items, my Calendar, or any other item in my system.
    Yes there is a small delay in loading the today screen. I haven't heard of 15 sec. It takes mine only 5 sec for the today screen. If you want it to go faster there are different ways. The easer way and probably what you want is to show all your tasks on start up. There should not be any delay there. You and set this up under preferences.
    You say a lot of GTD people use it, but I really don't see how that's possible after playing with it for an hour or so.
    Any program is good, if you give time and find out what it can do.
    I created a test memo, added a Voice Memo as well as a scribbled Note on it, and did a Hotsync. The new Unfiled item in Outlook has this in the entry:
    DRAWING: AGPDrawing-4157441
    VOICE: AGPVoice-1044893183.wav
    It looks like those are just references to files that are still on the Palm, but if I can't get to them on my laptop, they're not as useful to me. I also searched for 'Voice' in the Agendus Pro manual, but couldn't find mention of a Voice recording being sync'd. Any ideas on that?
    Use the Agendus for windows and you and play the voice memo.
    Agendus also doesn't provide for one-touch recording using the Side button. When I do a Voice Memo, it's because that's the very easiest/quickest way to collect the data (which I'll later transcribe into a Memo or Calendar or Task item). From what I'm seeing when creating Voice Memos in Agendus, in the time it takes to open Agendus, open a new Memo, tab over to the Voice Memo screen, etc, I could have just typed in the item using the keyboard or used Grafiti Anywhere to input it. Voice Memo (as I use it) is the same as scribbling a thought on a piece of paper and throwing it in my Inbox for later processing. If it's not easy, it's useless. I'm as paperless as any GTD user you'll find...I'm a road warrior who travels every week for my job, and I travel light.
    One of the Feature Requests & Suggestions that is put a one botton voice memo. As of right now. No Agendus doesn't have this feature.
    CallRec is pretty simple. Recording using the Side button starts instantaneously (faster than the other 2). It has a conduit just like Audacity.
    Callrec 4.0 looks nice and I was thinking about it too. I am glad to hear that you are keeping your treo 680. You can e-mail Palm and ask them to make changes to voice memo program too. Or just wait and hope they do on an update.