Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi all, I bought a 680 unlocked and I'm trying to get into the SmartPhone Connect Unlimited w/Xpress Mail plan for $19.99 instead of a $40 plan. I don't need VPN or anything fancy, just want to access the web for a decent price.

I sent an e-mail to Cingular trying to get the plan above hooked up and they said it's not compatible with the phone they have on file for me which is my old phone, Sony z520a. They mention I can contact customer service if I don't have that phone anymore to update my "IMEI number" on my account whatever that is.

Should I just tell them I have one of their acceptable smartphones (if so what would be an example of one?) or just signon with the unlimited MediaNet bundle which is compatibile with the phone they think I have but they don't even consider a 'data plan' but can access the web with?

Why does Cingular make data so difficult As soon as my contract period is up I'm looking around at alternatives!
    I signed up for their Media Max 19.99 Unlimited Internet plan just a day before I bought Treo 680 and when I activated 680, I didn't opt for their data plan. I lost 100 bucks on Mail-in rebates , but it was better than being locked up for 2 yrs on their data plan.
    Unlimited internet works just fine. I can access gmail via versamail and browse internet w/o any issues.
    Global Posts
    90 Global Posts
    i have cingular's 4mb smartphone connect plan. i signed up when i had a sony ericsson p990i, which is definitely NOT a phone they sell or endorse. they did take the phone's imei number, and the smartphone connect plan worked like a charm. now that i have my 680, i haven't had to make any changes to the smartphone plan, nor did they need my imei to get things to work.

the imei number is essentially an "ID" number that allows the phone to be identified on the network. iirc, it's underneath the battery on the treo. it's not a big deal to give this to cingular so they can active a data plan for you. when i added this data plan with my p990, they didn't even seem to care that i had an "unapproved" phone...
    Cingular only requires that you keep PDA Connect from the time you purchase the phone until the rebate is processed. Once you get your $100 check you're free to take it off or add any of the other data plans. Read through the US/GSM forum for a load of success stories. For an average 3 month rebate turnaround, you save $40 over ignoring the rebate and getting the MediaNet Unlimited from the start.
    I had the 5mb Media Net package for $9.99 (an old plan) and over the weekend changed my plan online to the $19.99 Media Max plan. I recieved an error in changing the plan and had to call customer service to finalize the upgrade.

Works like a charm.
  6.    #6  
    Thanks all. It's probably easier if I just let them think I have the old phone and go with the unlimited Media Net which several of you have said works fine. I'll think about convincing them about the smartphone plan but I'm guessing once they hear Treo they will lock in and push the PDA connect plan.
    Last edited by mceb; 12/27/2006 at 10:21 AM.
    I was informed by Cinglar that one of the reasons I was having poor reception was that my IMEI # was still logged to the original Treo 650 I'd started with back in May ( 6 devices agao)! But even after giving them the IMEI # I still don't see much chnage in the network connecting behavior on this device. They said that the IMEI # coordinates the SIM card and the network. But talk to two different reps and you'll get two different answers! The SIM card in my 680 is now a 3G which Cingular doesn't even support in my area! Heck they barely support CDMA technology! I think I got a device that is more advanced than their system can support unless I live in and travel in the few city blocks they have 3g installed!
    This PRE is MINE all MINE! But if you ask nice I might let you hold it!
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    All this IMEI stuff is total BS. Cingular uses the IMEI to catagorize your phone or device, allowing them to determine which one you have and force you into a more expensive data plan. No other GSM carrier that I know of cares what IMEI you have what phone or pda you are using or asks you about it. When you think about it, that would make no sense at all, since you are switching the sim card between handsets depending on what you are doing. My recommendation for anyone with a Treo 680 is to find out what phones the media max $19.99 plan supports, buy one on Ebay and give Cingular that IMEI. Then just use the Treo and don't worry about it. We don't have this ridiculous stuff on T-Mobile, but then... we don't have UMTS either!

Quote Originally Posted by Forgewizard View Post
    I was informed by Cinglar that one of the reasons I was having poor reception was that my IMEI # was still logged to the original Treo 650 I'd started with back in May ( 6 devices agao)! But even after giving them the IMEI # I still don't see much chnage in the network connecting behavior on this device. They said that the IMEI # coordinates the SIM card and the network. But talk to two different reps and you'll get two different answers! The SIM card in my 680 is now a 3G which Cingular doesn't even support in my area! Heck they barely support CDMA technology! I think I got a device that is more advanced than their system can support unless I live in and travel in the few city blocks they have 3g installed!
    Palm III -> Palm V -> Blue Palm Vx w/Omnisky -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680
    I use Cingular and recently switched my SIM from one 650 to another. Lately my reception has been poor and I read with interest the comment about reception improving if CNG had the correct IMEI number.

Is this really BS or is there any truth to it?

My change is reception could be due to alot of other things like CarrierDB changes, Zoti low profile antenna or numerous 3rd party apps and custom ROMs (ha).
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Cingular is a big, very big company that is trying to make money. Knowing this I know that they will try to get more money.
    1) When the treo 680 came out I wanted to switch from my treo 650 to it. Cingular said I still had 3 months left and if I switched then I have to pay the $400 price. One of the reps. at the Cingular store called customer service for me and let me talk to them about letting me upgrade for $200. A little talking and I got it. Plus $50 more off.
    2) I have the $39.99 that came with the rebate. But once I get the rebate I am switching it. I know that I might take a little talking. But it is fine.

Every big company tries.

Forgewizard- I have found that Cingular and with the treo 680 has great reception. Now I live in Florida. I have been with other providers and had worse reception in the same area.
    Quote Originally Posted by z3bum View Post
    We don't have this ridiculous stuff on T-Mobile, but then... we don't have UMTS either!
    Actually TMO has the similar ridiculous stuff. If you want internet access w/o hot spot, you have to tell TMO that you have a Blackberry.
    A few days after i received my new 680, I signed up for the MEdia Max 200 Bundle (unlimited internet & 200 text messages) for $19.99. Just added it online under the add/remove features link on the account overview page. Has been working fine ever since.
    I have MediaNet unlimited for $19.99 per month. It looks like for the same price I can get MEdia Max 200 Bundle and get 200 messages and unlimited Internet.

Can I just switch these online? I have been screwed by Cingular before, so I worry about making this move even though its a better deal.
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    I don't get it; perhaps my situation is different.

I've had MediaNET unlimited for $19.99/mo. since I got my 650. I put the SIM into my 680 and have had zero problems. What's the deal with the IMEI?
    I got a Palm unlocked 680.

I was not currently a Cingular customer since I was switching from Verizon.

But I just walked into a Cingular store, and pretended that I had just received a free RAZR from a friend and wanted the $19.99 media max plan with unlimited internet + 200 txt messages.

He asked if I had my phone with me, but I said that I didn't.

I signed up for the plan and got my SIM. Got home, put it in my Treo 680 - worked fine. And the best part is, Cingular has no idea what phone I have.
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    Was a longtime Verizon, w/ a 650 and got sick of that and moved to Cing w/ a cheap Moto phone.

Missed the Treo and went for the Unlocked 680. B/c of this forum I called a CSR and upgrade my Moto to the 19.99 plan.

When I got the 680, I put the SIM in the 680 and started surfing.

This forum has paid for itself!!
    "Actions speak louder than words!"

REX >Palm III > Palm IIIc > Palm V> Palm m505 >Kyo 7135> Treo 650> ARTIC Treo 680> and finally to the Centro!!!
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by swieder View Post
    I have MediaNet unlimited for $19.99 per month. It looks like for the same price I can get MEdia Max 200 Bundle and get 200 messages and unlimited Internet.

Can I just switch these online? I have been screwed by Cingular before, so I worry about making this move even though its a better deal.
    Generally yes you can switch online in your personal account signon. Their system was messing up yesterday and not allowing the change (some kind of error) but I opened a chat window with CSR and they did it right there.
    Quote Originally Posted by vks3 View Post
    I signed up for the plan and got my SIM. Got home, put it in my Treo 680 - worked fine. And the best part is, Cingular has no idea what phone I have.
    Actually, the IMEI is saved in the Call Detail Record (CDR) generated for every call you make, as is your phone number. So Cingular has the information, though they may not make use of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by mceb View Post
    Generally yes you can switch online in your personal account signon. Their system was messing up yesterday and not allowing the change (some kind of error) but I opened a chat window with CSR and they did it right there.
    Did it via the web. Hopefully nothing will break.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bam100778 View Post
    A few days after i received my new 680, I signed up for the MEdia Max 200 Bundle (unlimited internet & 200 text messages) for $19.99. Just added it online under the add/remove features link on the account overview page. Has been working fine ever since.
    I did this as well just recently. I switched from the PDA Connect - Unlimimted ($39.99). Did it all online without a problem. I am able to access web, email, IM, Skype (via iSkoot). All works well.

However. it does puzzle me that I am able to do this. I simply don't understand how or why I am able to do this (and others obviously). This saves me approx $240 per year (12 x 19.99).

Posters on Treobits forum confirm teh same experience -- no problem at all. But, will this come back to haunt us in some way. It "feels" like I'm getting away with something. Naturally, I don't care -- I don't like Cingular's practices, etc. Heck, does anyone?!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast