Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Hi,
    I just got a Verizon 700p for xmas... finally. I've been waiting for a Treo since the 600 days. I've lurked around this site on and off for months so I feel like I already belong.

Anyway, I've been playing with my new toy for a few days. No problems yet. I'm all ready to install the desktop SW and get it synced up to my computer but I have one question. My wife has a Palm T|X we got about 18 months ago. She has the Palm Desktop SW that came with the T|X already installed and her TX synced up. I'm afraid that if I install the SW that came with the Treo that I might blow away her stuff (we share the same login).

So I figured before I spend 3 days installing SW and try to repair the damage I did I better check with the experts. Do Treos and Palms play nice together on the desktop? Will the SW that came with the treo update/upgrade the TX desktop?

I Know that I am not the only family with a Treo and a second Palm device.

Thanks
    JM
    Okay, i've had this scenario before. Have a 650 and 700p (both Sprint) syncing up to the same system.
    What I did was first create a new user (for 700p) and give it a hotsync name.
    I'd recommend that you first create a new user in the Palm Desktop Manager program before installing the CD from the 700p.
    Just be sure to choose the right user profile for the Palm you want to sync with when prompted, after you initiate a hotsync.

And yes, both T|X and 700p can live together.
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    I can second the above reply. My wife has a TX (installed 1st) and I have a 700p. It's all working flawlessly. Both units can even use the same sync cable, saving clutter on your desktop.
    Quote Originally Posted by rotello View Post
    I can second the above reply. My wife has a TX (installed 1st) and I have a 700p. It's all working flawlessly. Both units can even use the same sync cable, saving clutter on your desktop.

can you sync it to the same desktop? (dif. names)
    ~bean

palm IIIxe, tungsten t, tx, and now...a treo 700P
    palm all the way.
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    can you sync it to the same desktop? (dif. names)
    In general yes. Here is what I did... it seemed to work OK:

BEFORE you attach the Treo, open up Palm Desktop on the PC. Create a new user for your Treo.... lets call it "My_treo". Close down the desktop, Hotsync, and anyother Palm app.

I then installed the Treo/Palm Desktop CD from Verizon. I followed whatever instructions as it installed the desktop app. I think the desktop version it installed was the same as the Desktop app from the TX so I'm not sure the install actually changed anything (or is necessary)

Once the desktop is installed, it will ask you to hotsync your device. Make sure you choose the new user "My_treo" for this step. That seemed to go through with no problems.

I then continued to install the various apps and "bonus SW" from the Palm CD (bejeweled, palmfiles, pocket_tunes,..) doing a hotsync after every install. Just make sure you have the "My treo" user selected.

The only thing that gave me any grief was the Docs_to_go install. I had to do it twice. The first time I installed Doc's it came up and said "trial period over, please buy a license". I could not get it to register correctly at all. The second time I installed it it seemed OK. I think this problem was because the TX uses version 7.## while the Treo uses Version 8.###

I did a hotsync from the TX and that seemed to go fine. The Palm Desktop SW seems to keep the users fairly separated. Only time will tell if everything is OK. However, I've determined that Palm has been on version 4.## of its desktop for years now so thats a good sign.

The only thing I wonder about is if in the future I try to upgrade various SW (pocket tunes, docs_to_go,......) how it will be handled. I would gues I would have to pick one user/device or the other to upgrade. I assume the SW is smart enough to not allow you to buy one copy of SW and install it multiple times.

Good luck
    JM
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Yes Thank you Palm! Its nice that they seem to have settled into a "common" connector design for now. I did all my syncing through my wife's TX cable. It appears the Treo will trickle charge through a USB connection like the TX. I'm taking the charger and Treo cable to work.

JM
    So do I get a pat on the back as well.....
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Merovingian, you get a pat on the back as well

Thanks
    JM