1.    #1  
    Bought my son a 650 through ebay, brand new, ear speaker does not work. No one is claiming responsibility. Found a place to buy the part. Any idea on how hard the replacement is? I'm a generally pretty handy guy and taking stuff apart and putting back together doesn't scare me.
    Welcome to the world of the Treo! Now you just need to get one for yourself. The Treo is notorius for headset jack problems. Does a headset work when you plug it in? Dig around and search on this site in the forums to learn a little about that problem. A possible fix might be to "forcefully" insert and remove your headset jack a few times; be careful though.
    Good luck.
    Dave
    Riding the Tucson roads & trails
    Quote Originally Posted by db3120 View Post
    Bought my son a 650 through ebay, brand new, ear speaker does not work. No one is claiming responsibility. Found a place to buy the part. Any idea on how hard the replacement is? I'm a generally pretty handy guy and taking stuff apart and putting back together doesn't scare me.
    Not hard at all. The ear speaker is encased in rubber and press-fit into the housing - it connects to the motherboard with a couple of spring contacts (no wires, no soldering or screws).

You may find upon disassembling the phone that the contacts are the problem, or the speaker is full of dust, etc.
    I also just got an ebay treo 650 and everything seems to work but the earpiece.

I have tried the plug in mic/earbud and it works fine...I then remove the jack plug and the phone screen indicates that the speakerphone is available again which leads me to believe that the phone recognizes that the jack is out.....based on this would it not make sense that the ear speaker is actually bad...or is the plug disconnect and the speaker jack connection another circuit?

I have the sticky jack problem in my other 650 and have been able to keep it "unstuck" by putting the plug in an out a few times with a bit of contact cleaner now and again.

I can return this newer unit for an exchange ...which I will do. But I just want to know if my diagnosis is correct?

Thanks

Skigs