1.    #1  
    I just purchased a Treo 700p largely because I have had a Palm T3 for a couple of years and really enjoyed it. When I initially set it up, all of the records that I cared about transferred from the my Palm Desktop to my new Treo. I thought, "Really cool--I am going to enjoy using this device."

In any event, when I Hotsynched yesterday, this message appeared:

-- Calendar
    - Some handheld records were not copied to your PC. Your computer may be full or you may have reached the maximum allowed records on the desktop. To correct this situation, delete some records and perform a HotSync operation again.
    Desktop = 721, Handheld = 0

I didn't notice it.

Today, when I hotsynched, I received this message:

Calendar synchronization failed

Contacts synchronization failed

In trying to resolve THIS problem, and several Hotsynchs trying to solve it, the data from my calendar (on the desktop) disappeared, as did the calendar data on the Treo.

Thankfully, I have my old T3 with the calendar intact.

So TWO questions:

1) How do I retore my calendar (if possible)?

2) How do I get my Treo to synch the calendar again from the desktop (using Palm's desktop application)?

I have read similar posts suggesting a hard reset and want to save that as a last resort, though I will do so if necessary.

Thanks for all assistance.
  2.    #2  
    Actually, I just looked more carefully at my Desktop--and the desktop seems to have "lost" all dates prior December 18 but at least SOME of my calendared items for 2007 are showing up on my desktop.

Still, any assistance will be deeply appreciated.
  3.    #3  
    I figured out what happened with the calendar--I had hit "purge"--a command I had never used before. I now have my calendar backed up. However, the hot synch problem remains.

I don't want to hard reset unless necessary--but I am going to try re-installing the Palm software on my laptop first.
    Have you looked at dbScan - http://pimlicosoftware.com/support.htm - I also had a problem recently that was related to a corrupted birthday index.

Ben
  5.    #5  
    I ended up doing a hard reset--and while it is somewhat awkward (pushing the red button in the fornt while pushing the stylus in the "reset" hole in the back) and that seemed to solve the problem.

For the unitiated, while a hard reset will reset to the initial settings, all of the settings Verizon put in will work--so don't be afraid.
    Last edited by Polpro; 12/29/2006 at 04:59 PM. Reason: I posted this message and I was mistaken. my solution did not work.
  6.    #6  
    Here is the latest--I am scrolling other threads and while there is some repetition with this one, I am hoping someone has an easy solution.

First some added information: My 700p is courtesy of Verizon
    I have an unlimited data plan.

Someone suggested (on the longer thread) that calendar and contacts are disabled by the wireless synchronization for data.

I DO NOT use Outlook (perhaps I should)

In any event, here is what I did:

--I clicked on "Wireless Synchronization"
    --I clicked on "Settings"
    --"Settings" has a "What to Sync" button, which I clicked.
    --There, just as described, are a variety of checked boxes, including "Calendar", "Memos", "Contacts", and "Tasks"--in other words ALL of the things that are NOT currently synching.

I tried two things. First, I UNCHECKED those 4 boxes.

When I did that and hotsynched, I received the same error message as before, so no fix

Second, I clicked the link marked "Settings" next to each of them. From there, I checked the box marked "Share database with another conduit (slower).

I hotsynched again. Same error message about Calendars, etc. synchronization failure.

Same error message.

So I am open to suggestions. I am sure I am not the only new Treo owner who got one for Christmas who CANNOT get his calendar and contacts to hotsynch (something I REALLY, REALLY want to do).
    Try to remove any corruption in the calendar data on the PC. This is done through Tools-Options-Tools in Palm Desktop. Then try hotsyncing with the conduit for Calendar set to "Desktop Overwrites Handheld".

If that doesn't work, Try the reverse: remove corruption on the Treo and hotsync with "Handheld overwites Desktop". The corruption is removed by running dbScan (get latest from http://www.pimlicosoftware.com/utilities.htm). Run the program, select "neither", do a "Remove Deleted Records" from the Menu. More on this utility is in the Datebk6 manual appendix (http://www.pimlicosoftware.com/datebk6-v60a-manual.zip)
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
  8.    #8  
    I actually went to the Palm site and they had a link marked "online hotsynch" chat in their help section. I waited over half an hour to talk to someone (probably in India). Unfortunately the news was bad--Palm knows about it and there is nothing they can do.

Here is the chat session:

All operators are currently assisting others. Thanks for your patience. An operator will be with you shortly. You are number 1 in the queue. The average wait time is '0' minute(s)and '1' seconds. Thank you for your patience.
    You are now chatting with 'Allen'
    Allen: Hello. This is Allen. How may I assist you?
    Polpro: Hi
    Polpro: I have a new Palm Treo 700p
    Polpro: and it will not let me use my cable to synch my Palm desktop calendar and contacts
    Allen: Since one you have been facing this issue?
    Polpro: since after the first hotsynch
    Allen: How about the other PIM data?
    Polpro: Here is my last log sessio:
    Polpro: OK Quick Install OK VersaMail AddIt Manager Conduit processing transactions MyTreoVZ - Processing Transactions No Transactions Detected MyTreoVZ - Retrieving Files No Resources To Retrieve MyTreoVZ - Installing Files No Files To Install MyTreoVZ - Updating Databases AddIt - Processing Transactions No Transactions Detected AddIt - Retrieving Files No Resources To Retrieve AddIt - Installing Files No Files To Install AddIt - Updating Databases AdditSystem - Processing Transactions No Transactions Detected AdditSystem - Retrieving Files No Resources To Retrieve AdditSystem - Installing Files No Files To Install AdditSystem - Updating Databases OK Voice Memo Tasks synchronization failed OK Memos Calendar synchronization failed Contacts synchronization failed OK Media -- Backing up psysLaunchDB to C:\Program Files\Palm\NeiderD\Backup\psysLaunchDB.PDB -- Backing up Saved Preferences to C:\Program Files\Palm\NeiderD\Backup\Saved_Preferences.PRC OK Backup HotSync operation completed on 12/29/06 17:27:37
    Allen: Do you have any email Exchange Email configured on the device?
    Polpro: yes I do
    Allen: And you have configured that on Versa Mail, correct?
    Polpro: yes--and am receiving email being forwarded to me
    Allen: Polpro, when you configure an Exchange Account in your device, it will sync the Calendar and Contacts directly from the Exchange Mailbox.
    Allen: The whole operation will be wireless.
    Allen: You cannot perform cable HotSync to Sync Contacts and Calendar items when you have Exchange Email account configured on the device.
    Polpro: and how do I configure my Palm desktop to wirelessly beam the calendar? or do I need to use another calendar for that purpose
    Allen: I am sorry, the only option you have here is to make the Calendar Entries on the Exchange Mailbox, via Outlook or Outlook Web Access.
    Allen: I am afraid that is how the Versa Mail Program has been designed.
    Polpro: The problem is that I do not use Outlook for ANYTHING
    Polpro: I understand what you are saying but it is frustrating
    Allen: I am really sorry, I can understand your frustration.
    Polpro: Is there a possibility that either Palm or Verizon will create a patch to solve this problem?
    Allen: We in support don't have any information of future release. However, we do post updates on the latest products on our website. Do visit our website www.palm.com from time to time to ensure that you do not miss out on the latest Palm product.
    Polpro: I don't understand why Verizon has that set-up, but I know you can do nothing about it
    Polpro: However, that information should be part of the Palm documentation
    Polpro: I hard reset my Palm 3 times today thinking it was MY unit
    Allen: I am really sorry David, I can understand your frustration.
    Polpro: Well thank you for confirming it
    Allen: You're welcome.
    Allen: However, I am sorry for the limitations of the product.
    Polpro: I am too and it is something Palm and Verizon need to work on
    Allen: I will put forward your request as a Feature Request to our Engineering team.
    Polpro: thank you
    Allen: You're welcome.
    Allen: Be well in this New Year.
    Polpro: You too
    Allen: Thank you.
    Polpro: I am sorry you could not help but thank you for at least confirming things
    Allen: Thank you.
    Polpro: I am sorry you could not help but thank you for at least confirming things
    Allen: I am glad I was able to pass on the information to you.
    db Scan - a wonderful application - have you read the documentation? The problem is often a deleted record that needs to be exorcised. Had the problem last night and after three minutes of work, the problem was taken care of. Taking care of the problem may mean a reset or two during the exercise, but it does work in most cases.

I select "neither" to start with and then after the next screen comes up, I then press the OPTIONS key and move down to "Remove ALL Deleted Records" and then go through the options (PalmSource and PalmOne). If it resets, I just do it again. After that, I then do the other options. The device will probably reset, but not a problem. Eventually it should take care of the problems and let you sync.

Ben
  10.    #10  
    The latest from the Twighlight Zone (see above for a recap for up until now)

Today, my Treo was doing a soft reset ANYTIME I tapped an icon in the Wireless Synchronization field. This bug happened everytime--so I realized I had to to do a hard reset to correct it.

So I hard reset--since I thought my old problem was unfixable, I didn't pay attention to what order I did what in the synchronization process.

Bottom line--now EVERYTHING works. I get my e-mail, I can send e-mail, and my Calendar Hotsynchs onto my desktop.

If I could figure out WHY this all happened I would be much richer than I am. However, I will be satisfied with merely being much happier than I was.