Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    No way to use certificates with palm browsers/email. Specifically I want to be able to check my NMCI(US Navy webmail) email but I cant. I would also like to get a CAC card (DOD PKI) reader as well. It is available on the pocketpc 700W but not 700p.

No Blackberry connect for the 700p. I guess that is more Sprint fault but Palm has some liability since they have been running it on the 650 for over a year.

No Slingbox even though it has been promised for over a year

I want to run a web server on my treo (You can do it on a pocketpc at cam.com) I found so old code from Univ of Mich for the orginal palm pilot but it does not work or at least I cant get it to work. I would love to run a program called "class in hand" on a Treo 700p

Palm needs to be more like Apple... essentially have a work around for everything that can run on Windows to be able to run on Apple.

It appears to me that palm has strategically decided to support the pocketpc os over palm os. They still produce Palm OS because they still have a fair amount of die hard palm OS users....but I think they will only appease us to a very limited fashion i.e. words not $$$$.

BTW I am no an Apple Jihadist. I do use OSX, Vista and Linux. I am nihilist.
    I think you need to use a Treo tethered to a laptop. It will have all of the capabilities you need. Alternatively, doesn't someone make a "handheld" that runs Windows xp nowadays?
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller View Post
    I think you need to use a Treo tethered to a laptop. It will have all of the capabilities you need. Alternatively, doesn't someone make a "handheld" that runs Windows xp nowadays?
    I have done that but if that kinda negates the reason for having a treo where in this case I could just buy a wireless cell card and chuck my treo. My preference would be able to chuck my laptop and have palm and co. add the features I mentioned earlier. They are almost there.
    Sounds like you need a WM5 Treo, given that the WM5 devices can do a lot of what you need.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    Sounds like you need a WM5 Treo, given that the WM5 devices can do a lot of what you need.
    Perhaps. But I just bought a 700p a few months ago and I am disappointed by Palm's tactic of keeping the Palm OS not on par with windows. There is no technical reason why Palm cannot do the things I request. I kind of feel cheated.
    Quote Originally Posted by powerfrog View Post
    ... use certificates with browsers/email. ... a [smartcard] reader ... Blackberry connect ... Slingbox ... web server ... I am nihilist.
    Actually, it sounds more like you are in the wrong forum. Anyone who uses the Palm OS should understand it is not a "real" (multi-threaded, PKI-enabled, etc.) operating system. And, IMHO, anyone who wants a phone to perform like a laptop (today, anyway) has made a fundamental mistake in choice of form factor. In any event, if those are show-stoppers in your choice of PDA, good luck!
    Daddoo
    Palm Pilot 500-->M505-->T2-->E2--->700p
    Quote Originally Posted by powerfrog View Post
    Perhaps. But I just bought a 700p a few months ago and I am disappointed by Palm's tactic of keeping the Palm OS not on par with windows. There is no technical reason why Palm cannot do the things I request. I kind of feel cheated.
    Why did you buy the 700P?
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddoo View Post
    Actually, it sounds more like you are in the wrong forum. Anyone who uses the Palm OS should understand it is not a "real" (multi-threaded, PKI-enabled, etc.) operating system. And, IMHO, anyone who wants a phone to perform like a laptop (today, anyway) has made a fundamental mistake in choice of form factor. In any event, if those are show-stoppers in your choice of PDA, good luck!
    I am not expecting the 700p to perform like a laptop. But I see no reason why Palm 700p cannot have blackberry connect like the 650, and use certs, slingbox, and webserver like the treo 700wx.
    Or make me coffee
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by shopharim View Post
    Why did you buy the 700P?
    It was the first PDA that truly did the quadruple play in one device: telephony, high speed internet email/web (evdo), TV (You tube through kinoma), and mobility. Bluetooth DUN with my laptop is pretty cool as well. I also like the Palm calender and tons of free software and a 4gb card to watch my riped DVDs. Having accomplished all this which is pretty damn impressive why not go a bit further and support slingbox, bbconnect, and certs so I can get my work email/calander and watch tv from my house. The device is so close.
    Its really not Palm's fault that slingbox has not made a client for palm...

and it really seems beyond the scope to run your pda as a web server...
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by got-hosting View Post
    Its really not Palm's fault that slingbox has not made a client for palm...

and it really seems beyond the scope to run your pda as a web server...
    I think if palm wanted to they could use their influence with the Slingbox folks. They are giving the opposite message to developers: focus on the windows platform and therefore I hold Palm somewhat accountable for the lack of new applications for the Palm OS.

As for the Web server, I believe the smartphone is the new PC. I think all multi server capability is only a matter of time. Here is interesting use of web server for the pocketpc developed at wake forest that I used while teaching at NPS back in 2002. It is freeware. You can control powerpoint slides, give quizes and receive questions and receive group statistics from a class. It is very innovative. This maybe the future for mobile classroom collaboration. Why don't things like this exist on the Palm OS? I dont buy the limitations of Palm OS argument.

http://classinhand.wfu.edu/

"ClassInHandTM is software developed by the Research and Development team in Information Systems at Wake Forest University. It turns a PocketPC equipped with a wireless card into a web server, a presentation controller, and a quizzing and feedback device for a classroom instructor. By incorporating all these functions into one program, it enables you to have 'class in hand' as you move freely around the classroom. Classroom use is ongoing at Wake Forest. This version is compatible with both PocketPC 2003 and Windows Mobile 2005."
    I think you should have looked into what you were buying before you bought it. Perhaps there was no easy way to tell if it would support CAC cards or run a web server (although if you had asked here I bet you would have gotten an answer), but you should have known it didn't support BlackBerry Connect or Slingbox before you shelled out your money.

Holding Palm responsible for Slingbox's software is simply absurd, as is stating that Palm should be like Apple and provide a work around for everything. That's a heck of a lot easier when (like Apple) the device has Gigs of memory. Blaming Palm because no 3rd party offers a web server for the P-OS is even more absurd. Not only can Palm not control 3rd party vendors, the P-OS doesn't multi-task well enough to support it.

ISV's are going to write for the platform they think they can make the most money from. Unfortunately, at the moment most ISVs seem to think that's Microsoft.

Maybe a future version of P-OS, based on Linux, will offer you some of these capabilities, and garner more 3rd party support. But it's your responsiblity to define your needs and determine if the device you want to buy meets these needs. If Palm had claimed support for Slingbox and Webserver you'd have a legitimate complaint.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    To me, the common sense thing to do if you want blackberry connect that bad would be to get a blackberry. Complaining b/c it's not on your treo is like complaining b/c you can't install microsoft programs on a mac or get a cheeseburger at a chinese buffet.
    Did the original post cross some invisible, understood line, when it comes to expressing displeasure with Treo smartphones?
  16.    #16  
    Slingbox has promised for over a year to release a palm client. In fact on the slingbox box's they stickered over the palm OS emblem.
    http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/gadge...ort-204453.php

On the CAC card issue the Riva Networks supported CAC authentication and they dropped the Palm OS support because "there is no OS email client that will support their SMIME implementation" (email I received from Riva networks.) They had a product on the 650 it was a CAC reader sleeve. They no longer support Palm Treos but will support windows Treos.

The same trend had happened with Blackberry Connect. They supported the 650 but not the 700p.

Wifi is another example that numerous others have brought up (supported on the windows treo but not the palm os treo.)

I think Palm bit off more than they can chew by supporting two operating systems. There has been a decline in Palm's position and clear declining trend on what is and will be supported. If Palm is not going to meet vendors half way it is no wonder the palm OS product is declining. 3rd party vendors are jumping off the band wagon. Perhaps this is Palm's way of telling us that the Palm OS is going away. I enjoy using my Palm OS Treo and am highly disappointed by the 3rd party application decline. This is not to say one should or could hold them legally liable. I just feel that it is only going to get worse for Palm OS Treo users.
    I don't think they are jumping off the bandwagon. I have seen a number of people interested in the treo but never used a palm pilot before jump to a wx because they feel they are comfortable with windows and thus will not have to learn the palm os. I have used both, I find the palm os more user friendly, stable (hard to say for treo's, I know) and functions better than the windows mobile (most remarkable missing feature, you cannot do a global search for a client on windows mobile like you can on a palm and pull up all contact/calendar or application data related to that name or word). With more people feeling they would be comfortable with a windows type of device when getting a pda, and people who simply prefer it, were given a great form factor option in the 700w and 700wx. I don't see a decline in palm software and much as there is greater demand and creation of windows mobile software. Let's not forget about the Motorola Q that has increased interest since it is cheap and is carried by Verizon (I am a Sprint user, but everyone I know has Verizon because they feel the Network is bigger, but they never go anywhere other than their own neighborhood, go figure).

The problem is expectation. Does my treo do alot? Hell, yes. Is it my laptop? Not even close. I have a 17 inch monster Sony Vaio that I bring with every damn day because the treo does not do everything, but I am not cra**ing on the treo because it doesn't.

These boards, especially TreoCentral boards, will tell you everything you need to know before buying one of these products from how bluetooth dun works to what chicks think of you holding a giant brick to your ear to make a phone call. No one argues that palm may have screwed up with a few things in the phone or lack of certain updates/features. But this is not a mystery. I went to the 700p unveiling in New York, every Sprint technician there trying to sell me one could only answer this when I asked how it is better than the 650: it has evdo and you can use it as a modem.

I have had my 650 replaced by lockline with a 700p (new in box to my surprise), it is basically the same, but now I have evdo on it, and it gets a little more attention from me now.

When you are spending more the $400.00 for a phone, you might want to read up onit it's capabilities before hand. If certain third party software becomes the deal breaker, contact that company and find out if there is anything down the line that might make it to your treo. Disappointment is victimless crime.
    Research and preparation can be helpful, but they do not guarantee a lack of disappointment.
    I think what you're seeing (and experiencing firsthand, somewhat painfully) is the inevitable decline of the Palm OS, along with the rise of Windows Mobile.

Your issue is really more of an OS battle - Access/Palm OS vs WM. Keep in mind that Palm the hardware company doesn't run the Palm OS (yes they just bought control but that isn't relevant for your current issues). I just think your frustration is directed at the wrong place - it isn't Palm you should be unhappy at, as much as it should be PalmSource/Access - they're the ones who seem to be losing developer and industry support. It's the OS that you have issues with.
    Bah. It's a battle of money - that's all it's been about since Hawkins came in with his balsa wood PalmPilot design.

3Com had no innovation skills, Handspring went off in that silly proprietary Springboard direction, Palm split off the OS division to curry favor with the stock market (and busted up control over their destiny).

Now that Palm has effectively evicerated itself, Microsoft (with their infinite cash) has swooped in like a vulture and offered them a "deal they can't refuse" by putting that lousy WinCE garbage onto the hardware designed for PalmOS.

I've tried several iterations of Microsoft's mobile products since they first began shipping, and although they had their good points they were never an adequate replacement for the straightforward PalmOS usability. It's a mobile machine - I don't want to fiddle around with managing memory, spending minutes to enter a simple phone number, having paid OS "upgrades" arrive more often than Santa Claus (PocketPC 2003 "SE"???!? This is somehow something I have to PAY for on my PPC 2003 system - even Windows Server gives you a few years).... The graveyard of obsolete WinCE/PPC/WinMob devices is staggering. Palm just wants to get in on that funeral procession since *somebody* ought to finally make some money out of it....

Based on results, the only thing they seem to have valued was the "Palm" name.
    Last edited by Joad; 12/30/2006 at 04:44 PM.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast