Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    ***These instructions are written under the assumption you have prior knowledge of ROM Editting.***

Today i have confirmed that my testing with the Treo680's slotdriver files which supports Secure Digital High Capacity(SDHC) cards is a success with only one minor flaw(texting becomes disabled) but with a fairly simple fix. i will start with the required items to perform such a hack.

You will need to download the treo680 card driver files from this link courtesy of Euroclie(and a special thanks to the MTDN Crew for adding this to downloads, specifically DickieD).
    - http://mytreo.net/downloads/details-1144.html
    I used all files: FAT32.prc, slotdriver_sdio-sdsd.prc, and Smarttextengine_Device.prc

- ROM Tool from www.grack.com/romtool

- any SDHC card from any various website (www.newegg.com has always been the cheapest for me.) I purchased an 8gb SDHC card (you'll need the SDHC card reader to load files on this card outside of the treo as the regular card readers will not work. OR you can use one of the great card reading applications for the Treo, specifically Card Reader or Card Export II, available for trial in the download section here at MTDN)

Follow these steps to equip your treo650 with SDHC capabilities:

1. Use the ROMTool to ensure you have a good back up of your ROM just incase things go sour.
    2. Start by removing from ROM "MMCBulverdeIntelDrv_Device.prc" (according to shadowmite, this is the file that is the driver for the current sd card host controller), "Fatfs.prc" (the fat12/16 file system which limits the treo to maximum 2gb recognition) and "SmartTextEngine_Device.prc" (this is the smartext engine from the 650 i believe to be incompatible with the slotdriver file as mine didnt function properly the first time i tested it.)
    3. Add to ROM(from the previously downloaded zip files): "FAT32.prc", "SlotDriver_SDIO-sdsd.prc" and "SmartTextEngine_Device.prc"(this is the 680 smart text engine i required to get my messagine app to work again.)
    4. Upload ROM with new files installed.
    5. Verify SD card works(legacy cards are still usable on this back compatible file system).
    6. Verify new SDHC card works. (the simple fact that the SDHC card is readable in the treo means its fully capable of writing to it and working properly. if installing an 8gb SDHC card, treo will only display up to 4gb capacity but i assure you, all 8gb is useable.)
    7. Enjoy massive amounts of storage space with SDHC cards courtesy Euroclie/jamesgangut(file extracting/hosting), EazyE (initial installation/testing), MFB (installation, testing, procedure revision) and Sti_ffy(procedure revision) DickieD.....JustDickieD(file hosting on MTDN Download site)

Follow these steps to equip your treo700p with SDHC capabilities:

1. Download the SDHC Slot Driver from the MTDN Download site here: http://mytreo.net/downloads/details-1144.html
    2. You need to extract only the Slotdriver__SDIO_sdsd.prc
    3. You'll need to add this file to RAM one of two ways: Via Hotsyncing or via normal SD Card, then copying to RAM. Upon a soft reset, SDHC capabilities should be enabled.

~ EazyE

:EDIT:

Please continue to use this thread and post any and all problems you've encountered with this process so we all can be aware of the issues and the possible fixes (if any) Thanks!
    Last edited by EazyE; 04/03/2007 at 09:19 PM. Reason: added clarification to steps
    Wow... This is awesome... just when you guys thought the 650 was getting old and forgotten there is still hope. Power to the Palm Powered users...!!!

Al
  3.    #3  
    makes a guy wonder what else the 680 could provide the 650
    Great job! Kudos for taking the leap and buying one before you knew it would work. So, now that we have this new support...does that mean that there is additional hope for getting the SD WiFi card to work?
  5.    #5  
    the WiFi hack is currently being worked on by the great Dmitry who brought us UDMH and the like at http://www.palmpowerups.com/ ( topic being discussed here http://mytreo.net/forum/index.php/topic,44052.0.html )

[quote from Dmitry]
    Anyways current progress: installation of drivers: 100% works. Wifi card is recognized and used. Scanning for networks also works. Connection works (at least DHCP does as a valid IP is obtained). Connection, however is broken immediately after it is made. No idea why yet, but working on it...
    [/quote]
    WOW! Yay Dmitry! So that's why I haven't heard much about his new re-written FAT32 driver...

Palm WiFi card on my 650, Enfora Sled on my 680, yay? haha
    (PowerPlay Vs) >> palmOne Zire 31 >>
    (palm Tungsten T3)/(palmOne Zire 72s) >> (palm Black Tie Trēo 650 Custom)/
    (palmOne LifeDrive Custom [SanDisk Ultra II CF])/(palm m515)/(palm T|X)
    handspring Visor Deluxe/Tapwave Zodiac 2/palm Trēo 680 Copper Orange

Canuck PDA
    Thanks for the scoop on both fronts!
    Here are the files I used to add to GSM 650 ROM. Use EazyE's instructons but this has the SmartText fix that works fine in ROM. Should not have any messaging issues.

Thanks EazyE
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by jamesgangut; 12/23/2006 at 09:26 PM. Reason: Updated archive
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

Hey this is great! Previously all 680 files were not usable in a 650 ROM as it would make the device reset.

EasyE,

Any chance you can find a way to port the other treo 680 apps too such as Blazer?
    By the way, installing the slotdriver_sdio-sdsd.prc directly to ram on a 700p made it read the 8 gig sdhc.
  11.    #11  
    haha awesome! good catches everyone, i've revised the instructions to include everyones updates so far. i'll add that note about the 700p on both places too!, excellent news for everyone.
    Thanks EasyE.

Added this thread to the Suggested reading for 650 users sticky list
    I think this is great, but my 1 GB card is only half full. No idea what I would do with 8 GB. . .

NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller View Post
    I think this is great, but my 1 GB card is only half full. No idea what I would do with 8 GB. . .

Get a movie player, rip some DVD's and fill that sucker up with movies!!!
    I could not find 8GB cards on the Newegg web site. Here is where I looked
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...SubCategory=68

WiFi support on my 650 would be awesome.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Quote Originally Posted by swieder View Post
    I could not find 8GB cards on the Newegg web site. Here is where I looked

WiFi support on my 650 would be awesome.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

Quote Originally Posted by mikeymoves View Post
    Get a movie player, rip some DVD's and fill that sucker up with movies!!!
    Yeah, I keep a couple on there. That's why it is half full!

Let's see, 8 GB. . . That would be thirty-something movies, up to 40, I suppose.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
  18.    #18  
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820208088 i have that one, works like a charm.
    Isn't it interesting that the hardware supports Fat32 and SDHC, but Palm has yet to release any updates to officially support either?
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    Because it's not fully supported. For FAT32, only some 4Gb cards work, and SDHC cards are probably the same deal.
    (PowerPlay Vs) >> palmOne Zire 31 >>
    (palm Tungsten T3)/(palmOne Zire 72s) >> (palm Black Tie Trēo 650 Custom)/
    (palmOne LifeDrive Custom [SanDisk Ultra II CF])/(palm m515)/(palm T|X)
    handspring Visor Deluxe/Tapwave Zodiac 2/palm Trēo 680 Copper Orange

Canuck PDA
Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast