Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TRgEOff View Post
    I've been using an 8GB Transcend card (with 32K allocation units size) for 10 days now. Today I noticed the first major flaw: the inbuilt video application doesnt work if I set the video to be saved to the card. The video freezes on the first frame, then I get an error message: "Recording has stopped because the storage is full, or there was an error with the storage". Video works fine with the inbuilt storage, or if storing to a 2GB card. The stills camera works fine with the 8GB card.

For file transfer Ive been keeping the SD card in the Treo and using CardExport. I didnt need to install the SDHC HotFix program to achieve recognition. However, so far this recongnition only works if I use the original HotSync cable that came with the unit -- with either of two cables that I ordered from Boxwave (that allow recharging) the SD card is not recognised for file transfer (but it is for hotsyncing!). I have found these cables rather finicky even with the 2GB card and wouldnt recommend them.

cheers
    Interesting, as I've seen in other forums, it seems each Treo behaves differently! I saw a report on myTreo of another person whose video behaved as you described, but mine works fine.

I also keep my 8gb Trancend SDHC card in the Treo and use CardReader, the card is read and usable as a USB drive with both my Seidio charge/synch cables.
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hpspringer View Post
    Interesting, as I've seen in other forums, it seems each Treo behaves differently! I saw a report on myTreo of another person whose video behaved as you described, but mine works fine.

I also keep my 8gb Trancend SDHC card in the Treo and use CardReader, the card is read and usable as a USB drive with both my Seidio charge/synch cables.
    Thanks for feedback--gives me some hope!! What allocation size is your card formatted to?

I tried CardReader as well to see if it would pick up the card with my Boxwave cables, but no luck. However, having just tried one of these cables on my work computer, for the first time (previously reported attempts were on my home comp) CardExport picked it up, but not CardReader. Even with CardExport, I had to Connect/Disconnect a couple of times before it would recognise the card.

cheers
    geoff

Treo 650 1.20 LAP.
    32K allocation units size, I realize it's probably not the most efficient size considering the size of some of the Treo files, but it works for me.
    I ordered 2 USB retractable cables off of ebay really cheap and they both charge the phone and allow me to use card reader to see my 8 GB SDHC A-Data card as a USB drive... works great...

Link to what I ordered:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...2042&rd=1&rd=1

Michael-z
    I tested the new v5.5 mVoice program today. It works great on the 8gb Transcend card.

mVoice does call voice recordings and can also just be used as a voice recorder. It records everything to SD card in .WAV format.

As an added bonus, it has a built in feature to use your treo as an SD card reader.
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    As mentioned in Post#100 in this thread, I have not been able to record video using my 8GB Transcend card, the same problem faced by MFB (but not hpspringer whose card has the same 32k allocation unit size as mine).

In the faint hope that changing allocation unit size might still help, I reformatted the card at 4k allocation unit size (which was the default using XP Right-click format) and 8k (using the format command in DOS window). As expected, this did not change the inability to record video. I dont know what to try next. Given that vid recording still works fine with my old 2GB card, I dont think it could be any mistake made in ROM customisation. Ive also tried all the various permutations of video recording prefs. It would be great if there was some decent third party video recording app out there, but Ive never found one.

Also, for reasons I dont understand, I cannot now reformat the card back to 32k or even 16k.

These are the command and response for the card (in my F: drive)

C:\>format f:/fs:fat32/a:32768/q
    Invalid parameter - /a:32768

(Likewise for a:16384, and also when omitting the "quick" command)

Any suggestions regarding either of these problems much appreciated!

Update: solved 16K/32K problem: did Format with XP Disk Management program.

Quote Originally Posted by bayareastank View Post
    How do you read / format these 8GB Transcend cards?

I went to the command line and did format fs:/fat32 /a:8192 /q and it won't format. After many minutes i get 'error in IOCTL call' Likewise i can't right click it in the GUI and format it either.

What am i missing?
    I know you have solved this problem, but to help other readers, there is an error in the DOS syntax; it should be:

format X:/fs:fat32/a:8192/q

ie there should be *no* slash after the fs:

Cheers
    Last edited by TRgEOff; 01/30/2007 at 05:01 AM.
    geoff

Treo 650 1.20 LAP.
    FYI: Using "format /?" reveals the correct command-line parameters if you'd prefer to do it that way: "format X: /fs:fat32 /a:32K /q"
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewg_oz View Post
    FYI: Using "format /?" reveals the correct command-line parameters if you'd prefer to do it that way: "format X: /fs:fat32 /a:32K /q"
    Neat. Ah, so above 8192 I should have typed in 16K, 32K, not the "exact" values. Thanks.
    geoff

Treo 650 1.20 LAP.
    I bought an Adata 8Gb card and followed the instructions and it appears to be working correctly. The only thing I've noticed is that reading/writing to the card is definitely slower than my previous sandisk 1gb card. I notice it most when using powerrun to swap an app back to the card from main memory. what normally took seconds on my 1gb sandisk card now take minutes. I can live with this tradeoff but my question is do any of you think changing the allocation size when formatting the card would slowdown/speed up the card access speeds? Right now i have it formatted in 4k blocks. I used 4k initially because most of the files on the card were very small but now I am filling it up with MP3s which are larger. Any suggestions on optimizing card speed?
    Thanks.

Who needs an ipod mini when you have a Treo 650?!
    Hi to all - a Treo newbie with what might be a very newbie question...

As the new owner of a 680 I was delighted to read this thread... but am still confused about speed and class. Sounds as though the smart money here is on the Transcend 4Gb Class 6 or the Transcend 8Gb class 2 (in Austria I can get these for 45EUR and 67EUR respectively). Basically I expect to use TomTom, play mp3s and perhaps movies and to store a bunch of pdfs and other files as a backup. Happy to pay for the extra room but not if it means the card is painfully slow or won't work with some applications.

So I suppose my question is - does the labelled class make much of a difference in everyday use (assuming the cards are formatted the same)? As I understand it, a class 6 card should read/write at 6Mb/s and class 2 at 2Mbs but is this irrelevant either because there a limit at which the Treo can read/write or because you only notice it if transferring gigabytes of data.

Also, does the speed apply equally to reading and writing? A slow writing card seems not so bad, applying the set it going and then make coffee principle.

Thanks very much for any further hints...

dguy
  11.    #111  
    dguy, the only problem i've had with my 650 w/8gb SDHC Class2 is that i cannot record video to it. which is no skin off my nose. vid is ****ty on the 650 anyways. plus i still have my 4gb sitting around. pTunes has a slower response rate when looking up music, but that's only because it has to sift through 6gb now instead of 3gb. duh, makes sense.

i run the Transcend 8gb SDHC from www.newegg.com but its my understanding they dont ship outside the USA?? they were $64 US the last time i heard. maybe a competitor will have something decent like that for ya. i'd gamble on the 8gb cuz i love my media. good luck.

p.s. good luck to everyone who asked me questions in my absence, i havent been here for along time. i'll try visit more and help with what i can.
    - any SDHC card from any various website (www.newegg.com has always been the cheapest for me.) I purchased an 8gb SDHC card (you'll need the SDHC card reader to load files on this card outside of the treo as the regular card readers will not work.

do you still have to use a card reader if you are using something like soft tick card export for data transfer from your comptuer to your phone, or is necessary no matter what
    Quote Originally Posted by theradioinside View Post
    do you still have to use a card reader if you are using something like soft tick card export for data transfer from your comptuer to your phone, or is necessary no matter what
    If you have card export or something similar you may not need a card reader but it depends on your PC and whether it can interpret the SDHC format. Older systems may not be able to. Some of the earlier posts (see #59 of this thread) talk about an update for Windows XP that I installed and I don't have a problem on my notebook but I still seem to have some problems with my desk PC which is older.
    I was just up on New Egg's site... 8GB's for $60+/- are now available! Boy, are the prices dropping fast.

Y'know, it must SUCK to be a retailer who still has the smaller SD's on the shelf!!
    Former: Visor, Prism, VisorPhone, Treo 270,Treo 650, Centro Now: Pre
    Try this one for under $40 after rebate.. for an 8GB SDHC... It's the one I got though I paid more...

Works in my Treo 650, can't record Video from the built in camera to it but everything else works... movies, emulators, photos, etc... great upgrade... used to carry 3 cards around with my Zire72 equalling 6 GB... now in one... can't wait for the 16 GB cards!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820211148

Michael-Z
    does this only work on the GSM Version ?
    For those of you with Macs, I can confirm that the Transcend 8GB card and Transcend Compact Card Reader S1 mentioned in the SDHC threads work perfectly on OS X 10.4 (Tiger). Older SD card readers not specifically intended for SDHC compatibility will NOT work.
    Should I use the "Smart text engine" file included here? or the updated version "1.20" on palm's site. ? does it matter ?
    I know the Palm updated version works on my son's unlocked gsm 650 with the sdio patch and no issues.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

Using the camera video and saving the file directly to an 8 gig sdhc in a treo 650 is very slow. It actually fails most of the time. This made me upgrade to the 680. : )