Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Card Reader v1.05 from Mobil Stream you can find it here
    http://palmgear.com/index.cfm?fuseac...&prodID=112451

Ok now who can help me with my card formatting problem?

As I understand it, if you install the XP Patch for SDHC cards, you should be able to read these cards on XP. Do you still require an SDHC card reader? Sounded to me like you didn't need to get the card reader if you installed the XP patch and you could use a regular SD card reader?
    From Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital_card

"SD devices that do not specifically support SDHC will not work with the newer cards"

That's been my experience as well... I tried 3 different card readers, one of them is only a year old (much older in computer years)... and none of them would read my new 8GB SDHC SD card... they didn't recognize it at all...

Last night when the card came in I popped it into my Treo 650 with the SDHC Hack and it did recognized and showed me 3.5 GB of free space which I expected having read that it wouldn't show me the whole 8 GB's until I filled it past 4 GB...

Looked at buying a SDHC card reader on ebay but thought I might try one of those 2 programs that converts my Treo 650 to a card reader and see if that works...

stay tuned...

MZ
    OK i've followed the directions exactly and just end up in reset loop hell. My phone is Cingular, not sure if that matters.

First i download and extract FAT32.prc, slotdriver_sdio-sdsd.prc, and Smarttextengine_Device.prc

Then restart my phone holding the HS button and pressing reset to go into boot rom.

I install the ROm Tool bootrom driver and fire up romtool. I download the rom in directory form. Then copy it to a new folder to work on.

In the new folder i remove fatfs and mmc MMCBulverdeIntelDrv_Device. I've also tried leaving fatfs in, doesn't help. Then i copy in the 3 files from the zip into my new folder FAT32.prc", "SlotDriver_SDIO-sdsd.prc" and "SmartTextEngine_Device.prc"

Then go back into romtool, pick my folder and it does it's thing, then i click upload. I reset my phone and go into reset loop hell.

Some things I don't understand
    -How does the phone know to use fat32.prc? where does that system 'call' come from? Theo nly file in the zip that's the same as one i rumdump is smarttextengine_device.prc

-Do you have to be a certain rom revision before this works? I haven't updated my rom since i got it 2 years ago and i know there are a few revisions. I just did't want to have to empty my phone and reinstall everything.

-Just to be clear, if i do a directory backup of my ROM, then copy all that to a new folder to modify, i actually delete files at the file level? There's no other things i need to adjust? I guess this goes back to question #1, how does the phone now know to use fat32 over fatfs.prc?

Can anyone help?
    So instead of an iphone... instead of a 750 I can get a new 650wi8?
    It will be like a whole new world.
    bayareastank,

I can't help you with your reset-hell problem. but the system uses functions inside of .prc files. So the name of the .prc does not matter as long as the functions inside it match the prototype (name. parameters. and return type) as the older .prc file.
    The problem is my Treo Firmware hadn't been updated since i got the phone 2 years ago.

I did the firmware update to the latest 1.17 cingular code and then all these rom hacks started to work out. I've built a number of custom ones now working.

So a note to anyone else. make sure you're the latest rom before you start trying to tinker and modify the files.
    Couldn't get the new A-Data 8GB card to work in any of my card readers including the one in my Dell Inspirion 6000 with the hotfix from Microsoft, but much to my happy surprise, I downloaded the demo fo4 Card Reader by Mobile Stream, started in up on my TREO 650 with the 8GB card in it, windows recongized it and I was able to format, etc.... and it shows 8GB available... so it does appear to work!

MZ
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewg_oz View Post
    8GB SDHC A-Data not re-formatted (left at default 4K cluster):
    1. WFM
    2. WFM
    3. WFM
    4. WFM - writing could be faster, though I don't see it as a problem

BTW, the primary reason I've left my card on the default 4K cluster is because I have a set of about 10,000 files that average 12KB in length. Moving to a 32KB cluster would waste about 200MB of storage!
    I must have messed up some parts of my custom rom then. Been experimenting by migrating some prcs from the 680 to the 650.
    Quote Originally Posted by michael-z View Post
    Couldn't get the new A-Data 8GB card to work in any of my card readers including the one in my Dell Inspirion 6000 with the hotfix from Microsoft, but much to my happy surprise, I downloaded the demo fo4 Card Reader by Mobile Stream, started in up on my TREO 650 with the 8GB card in it, windows recongized it and I was able to format, etc.... and it shows 8GB available... so it does appear to work!
    MZ
    Ya you need to get a card reader that's SDHC compliant. Even with the XP Patch you can't read SDHC cards in a regular card reader. There aren't that many SDHC card readers out there, Sandisk has one though for $20.

I took the same route as you. I installed Card Reader on my Treo and it worked like a charm. With the SDHC XP patch, i was able to format the 8gig card using my treo as a card reader.

I formated it with 8kb blocks. That seems to be a decent balance between speed and app compatibility. The only thing that doesn't work is i can't take mini-movies via the camera app and directly write them to the card. I have to write them internal then copy them to the card. Pictures though can write directly to the card.

The only app I can't get working now on the 8gb card is LJC (video game console emulator). It doesn't like it at all, even 8k formatted.
    That hasn't been my experience at all. I have a 2 year old Dell XPS laptop with a built in SD card reader. Before the XP patch, my reader wouldn't recognize my 8GB SDHC Transcend card. After the patch, everything works great. From my understanding, there isn't a hardware difference between SDCH and standard SD readers. The XP software update is all that is required to allow SDHC compatibility.

I should also point out that I used the Card Reader trial for a few days before installing the patch. The product worked as advertised, but using my internal reader is MUCH faster than using the Treo. I think it has to do with the bus speed of the Treo connected through the sync cable as a limiting factor.
    how do you format the card? (command line)?
    SE P900-->Treo 650 (Cingular)-->Qtek 9100-->Treo 650 (Unlocked)-->Treo 680 (Unlocked)-->Treo 650-->ATT Tilt-->Blackberry Curve-->?PRE
    So-So Results with a Patriot 8 GB SDHC Card

I thought I would share my experience with the new Patriot 8 GB SDHC Card.

1. Decided to do a Custom ROM (Sprint v1.13a) per Tem's "Custom ROM by a dummy 4 dummies" (http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=97527)

Added:
    FAT32.prc
    SlotDriver_SDIO-sdsd.prc
    SmartTextEngine_Device.prc

Removed:
    DefConnectionDB_deDE.pdb
    DefConnectionDB_esES.pdb
    DefConnectionDB_frFR.pdb
    DefConnectionDB_itIT.pdb
    DefConnectionDB_jpJP.pdb
    FATFS.prc
    GetBC.prc
    HandangoLauncherApp.bprc
    HandangoLauncherApp_enUS.oprc
    HandangoLauncherApp_SPCS.cprc
    HandangoLauncherApp_SPCS_enUS.lprc
    MMCBulverdeIntelDrv_Device.prc
    TutorialApp_Device.prc
    TutorialApp_Device_SPCS.cprc
    TutorialApp_Device_SPCS_enUS.lprc
    TutorialRsc_Tips.prc
    TutorialRsc_Tips.SPCS.cprc
    TutorialRsc_Tips.SPCS_enUS.lprc

2. Looked via FileZ to see the changes....Found out that Treo 650 already has "SmartTextEngine_Device.prc"

3. Created another Custom ROM with the above, removing the original Treo 650's SmartTextEngine_Device.prc, and used Treo 680's SmartTextEngine_Device.prc

4. No problems with Custom ROM. Used it for 7-8 days without any problems with a Patriot 2 GB (133x) SD card

5. Installed HotFix onto computer to allow computer to recognize SDHC card as recommended by MFB (http://hotfix.xable.net/download/ind...v4-x86-ENU.exe)

6. Decided to purchase a Patriot 8 GB SDHC (Class 4) card from eCost.

7. Received SDHC card in 6 days

8. Tried to use Palm's Card Info to Format 8 GB SDHC (Class 4) card, but hung with "Formatting"....soft reset....tried formating card x 4 more times without success, continued to hang (allowed 10 minutes to format card for one of them), which all led to a soft reset. No luck in formatting using Card Info.

9. Had to use Softick Card Export II to utilize the 8 GB SDHC (Class 4) card as a "mass storage device". Then I was able to format via right click Format in Windows.

10. Popped out SDHC card and re-inserted. Treo 650 recognized it and created Palm Folder

11. I copied all files from my 2 GB card to my computer's hard drive (via card reader), then HD to 8 GB SDHC (Class 4) sd card via Softick Card Export II (it took forever...about 50 minutes for 1.1 GB of info....USB port 1.1 limitations/slowness?)

12. Once I got all my info transferred to 8 GB SDHC (Class 4) card, played with several applications. Seems to have very quick read/write times vs 2 GB card (especially backups).

13. Noted problems with programs that launch programs from SD card (ie ScrBtn v2.41, BackupBuddyVFS). Would notice that Treo would double-beep indicating it ejected the SD card, even though the card is well seated in the slot. I would hit the home button, pull down the drop down box and notice that the sd card was not on the menu. I would have to eject the SDHC card and re-insert it for the Treo 650 to re-recognize it.

14. Noted other small problems
    a. Occasionally, when I re-insert the SDHC card, hit the home button several times to scroll through the categories, that it would not recognize the SDHC card, but I could use the pull down box at top and go to the SDHC screen (an inconvience)
    b. Occasionally, I would have a spontaneous double-beep indicating the Treo 650 ejected the card even if it is sitting there untouched on the table.
    c. Need to get a card reader that recognizes SDHC card to transfer information between card and computer at faster rates

15. Noted benefits
    a. Noted significant increase in read/write speeds (have not done any benchmark testing....since I do not have any programs for this....but backups and restores are significantly faster.
    b. Enjoy the 8 GB (actually 7816.0 MB per Softick Card Export II) of space
    My Palm Evolution

Handspring Deluxe --> Handspring Pro --> Treo 90 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 600, Tungsten C --> Treo 650, Tungsten C --> Treo 650, Tungsten C, Tungsten T3 ---> Treo 650 (Custom ROM, FAT32, SlotDriver), Tungsten C, TX ---> Treo 700p, Tungsten C, TX ---> Treo 700p, Tungsten C, TX, LifeDrive w/ 16GB CF
    What block size did you pick on your 8GB card? Mine is noticeably slower even with backups. I used 8k blocks.
    bayareastank,

"What block size did you pick on your 8GB card? Mine is noticeably slower even with backups. I used 8k blocks."

I didn't change any setting when I formatted the card, so I think it was set at the "Default Allocation Size" option. Hope this is the answer you were looking for.
    My Palm Evolution

Handspring Deluxe --> Handspring Pro --> Treo 90 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 600, Tungsten C --> Treo 650, Tungsten C --> Treo 650, Tungsten C, Tungsten T3 ---> Treo 650 (Custom ROM, FAT32, SlotDriver), Tungsten C, TX ---> Treo 700p, Tungsten C, TX ---> Treo 700p, Tungsten C, TX, LifeDrive w/ 16GB CF
    I've been testing backup times with Fly-Backup to the 8GB SD card formatted with different block sizes 4k, 16k and 32k vs my 2GB card.

The backup in each case is 9.3 Megs in size which compess down to about 6mb when done via fly's compression.

SO here are the numbers

2GB Corsair 133x SD card

Backup Time: 35 seconds
    Data Rate: 268.1 kbps

8GB Transcend SDHC card formatted with 4k blocks

Backup Time: 7m55s
    Data Rate: 22.5kbps

8GB Transcend SDHC card formatted with 16k blocks

Backup Time: 3m45s
    Data Rate: 42.2 kbps

8GB Transcend SDHC card formatted with 32k blocks

Backup Time: 2m46s
    Data Rate: 56.9 kbps

So the larger block size seems to yield the fastest speeds. I was running it with an 8k block size which I didn't speed test but it's between the 4k and 16k somewhere. Everything seemed to work fine except i can't write video captures direct to the SD card, even with a 4k block size i still couldn't.

I'm going to test with the 32k size and see how the apps respond. Of course using 32k size wastes more space on the drive. If your files are only say 2k in size, they still occupy 32k worth of space. So that kind of bites. But if you're keeping big stuff on the card like ROMs, movies, music, backups, the 32k size isn't that big of a deal as long as the apps all work properly.
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bayareastank View Post
    I've been testing backup times with Fly-Backup to the 8GB SD card formatted with different block sizes 4k, 16k and 32k vs my 2GB card.

The backup in each case is 9.3 Megs in size which compess down to about 6mb when done via fly's compression.

SO here are the numbers....
    Thanks bayareastankfor all that info, and the explanation of the significance of the block size too.

I have been using an 8GB Transcend card too and was wondering what block size it comes with, or how I can check what it is. I havent reformatted it as yet.

cheers
    geoff

Treo 650 1.20 LAP.
    Those speed vs block sizes numbers are very interesting. I've just done some analysis of my own, relating block size to wasted space. These numbers are for me - as I've mentioned above, I have a larger than average number of small files. If you have mostly big files, then cluster size will have less impact.

Analysing 13416 files totalling 6.59GB (8038 of those are 16KB in size or less):

Cluster size : Wasted space
    4K : 26MB
    8K : 56MB
    16K : 94MB
    32K : 249MB
    64K : 610MB

If I only consider the 5378 files bigger than 16KB:

4K : 10MB
    8K : 22MB
    16K : 46MB
    32K : 75MB
    64K : 186MB

I'm not sure if 64KB clusters are supported, but they are technically supported by FAT32.

Anyway, if you've mostly got big files, there's no reason to muck about with small cluster sizes. If I'd done this analysis before copying nearly 7GB of data to the card, I'm pretty sure I'd have gone for 16KB clusters.

Quote Originally Posted by TRgEOff View Post
    what block size it comes with, or how I can check what it is
    Open a command prompt and run chkdsk, eg. my 4GB card:
    Code:
    C:\>chkdsk e:
    The type of the file system is FAT32.
    Volume CARD created 29/03/2006 23:50
    Volume Serial Number is 1234-5678
    Windows is verifying files and folders...
    File and folder verification is complete.
    Windows has checked the file system and found no problems.

3,998,740,480 bytes total disk space.
            8,192 bytes in 2 hidden files.
           12,288 bytes in 2 folders.
      108,150,784 bytes in 121 files.
    3,890,565,120 bytes available on disk.

4,096 bytes in each allocation unit.
          976,255 total allocation units on disk.
          949,845 allocation units available on disk.
    Lastly, I compared the speed of my 4GB A-Data card (150X = 22MB/s) and my new 8GB SDHC A-Data card (Class 2 = 2MB/s), both formatted with 4KB clusters and both using the SHDC drivers. Resco backup used to take about 200secs to do my daily backup (~6.5MB), but now takes about 1150secs.
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts

I have been using an 8GB Transcend card too and was wondering what block size it comes with, or how I can check what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewg_oz View Post
    Open a command prompt and run chkdsk, eg. my 4GB card:

C:\>chkdsk e:
    Thanks Andrew.

Having done this: my 8GB Transcend card as mailed out by NewEgg on Jan 5 was formatted with the 32K allocation units.

cheers
    geoff

Treo 650 1.20 LAP.
    Ya the 'wasted space' thing is a trade off. So if you write a file that's 8k, it takes up 32k worth of space on the card. But i figure i'm using my card for big stuff like movies, MP3's, Emulation games, backups. So i'm storing large files on it. So i'm sure there is some wassted space but i'm willing to trade a small amount of space for the speed boost. Every thing's got it's give and takes
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamboking View Post
    Questions about using Transcend 8GB SDHC on Treo 650:

3. Are you aware of any applications that have issues running on the 8GB SDHC card? I assume this could be the situation?

Please advise - and I would love to hear about experiences using the Transcend 8GB card... as I could really use the space.

Thanks!
    I've been using an 8GB Transcend card (with 32K allocation units size) for 10 days now. Today I noticed the first major flaw: the inbuilt video application doesnt work if I set the video to be saved to the card. The video freezes on the first frame, then I get an error message: "Recording has stopped because the storage is full, or there was an error with the storage". Video works fine with the inbuilt storage, or if storing to a 2GB card. The stills camera works fine with the 8GB card.

All other uses have been good: I have reached the Heinzian number of 57 applications on the card now, and have not noticed any difference in use with any of those Ive tried (most), compared to the old 2GB card. I have about 3GB of MP3s which are working fine too, and movies viewed with TCPMP have been working as expected.

For file transfer Ive been keeping the SD card in the Treo and using CardExport. I didnt need to install the SDHC HotFix program to achieve recognition. However, so far this recongnition only works if I use the original HotSync cable that came with the unit -- with either of two cables that I ordered from Boxwave (that allow recharging) the SD card is not recognised for file transfer (but it is for hotsyncing!). I have found these cables rather finicky even with the 2GB card and wouldnt recommend them.

cheers
    geoff

Treo 650 1.20 LAP.