Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    327 Global Posts
    1) FAT32 is fully supported. the reason only some 4GB cards work is because there is no 4GB SD standard. i.e. there's nothing to "support". If there's no standard each card will be a little different. Think of it as those 99min CDRs.

On the flip side, SDHC is a standard, if they are electrically compatible and the entire interface is implemented in software, then it would be very easily to upgrade it with a patch.
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by thetoad View Post
    1)
    On the flip side, SDHC is a standard, if they are electrically compatible and the entire interface is implemented in software, then it would be very easily to upgrade it with a patch.
    indeed. i contacted the SD Card Association and they said very rarely is hardware upgrades required for the SDHC upgrade. only a driver upgrade which is the responsibility of the manufacturer. (so i figured i could steal one from something that is a close second)

and to my knowledge, palm doesnt support the 650 anymore (knowledge base items havent been removed from the site, but hardware sales have been) we can look back to previous devices as an indicator of the support we should expect for the 650 in the future.
    1) FAT32 is fully supported. the reason only some 4GB cards work is because there is no 4GB SD standard. i.e. there's nothing to "support". If there's no standard each card will be a little different. Think of it as those 99min CDRs.

Cool! Thanks for the cleared-up info. So 32Gb SDHC cards shouldn't be a problem, assuming Palm OS doesn't blow up. I've heard that it can't handle more than 4Gb? But here we see it going beyond that already...
    (PowerPlay Vs) >> palmOne Zire 31 >>
    (palm Tungsten T3)/(palmOne Zire 72s) >> (palm Black Tie Trēo 650 Custom)/
    (palmOne LifeDrive Custom [SanDisk Ultra II CF])/(palm m515)/(palm T|X)
    handspring Visor Deluxe/Tapwave Zodiac 2/palm Trēo 680 Copper Orange

Canuck PDA
    Has anyone successfully written and read back 8 GB from a card yet? I assume they have, in testing, but I'm just checking to make sure. Just because the card works, does not mean that the entire 8 GB can be utilized.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by EazyE View Post
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820208088 i have that one, works like a charm.
    You should post a positive review on Newegg to counter the negative review that has been posted.
    Global Posts
    327 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by +Kardboard+ View Post
    Cool! Thanks for the cleared-up info. So 32Gb SDHC cards shouldn't be a problem, assuming Palm OS doesn't blow up. I've heard that it can't handle more than 4Gb? But here we see it going beyond that already...
    I'm not saying that it will work, I'm saying it could very well possibly work and previous experience from the non standard 4GB cards isn't indicative of what will happen with SDHC.
    1) FAT32 is fully supported. the reason only some 4GB cards work is because there is no 4GB SD standard. i.e. there's nothing to "support".
    Makes me wonder if this hack might improve the performance of other 4GB SD cards. It would be interesting to see some general performance numbers comparing older cards before and after this is installed.

I also noticed that Newegg has at least one 4GB SDHC card in addition to the standard 4GB SD cards.
  8.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller View Post
    Has anyone successfully written and read back 8 GB from a card yet? I assume they have, in testing, but I'm just checking to make sure. Just because the card works, does not mean that the entire 8 GB can be utilized.
    actually that was part of my first testing runs once the treo recognized it. i have had up to 7.6 gigs on it using Card Export and it worked just fine. i tested it quite thoroughly as i hate surprises i put it through the gauntlet.
  9.    #29  
    card speed = :

Wrt32bit: 23bytes/sec
    Wrt8kb: 32604bytes/sec
    Read8KB: 2912711 bytes/sec

It says "card speed is poor, us only 8Mhz PCM"

but i have no problems with it at all.
    actually that was part of my first testing runs once the treo recognized it. i have had up to 7.6 gigs on it using Card Export and it worked just fine. i tested it quite thoroughly as i hate surprises i put it through the gauntlet.
    Super.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    Great Job!!! Now if only someone could get Blazer 4.5 working on the 650!!!
    I was woundering, if I switch to fat32 will my old sd card still be read?
    Quote Originally Posted by radracer View Post
    Great Job!!! Now if only someone could get Blazer 4.5 working on the 650!!!
    Its not possible. Apps on the 680 were made to work on the 680 only. I've given up trying and just want to buy a 680.
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    Follow these steps to equip your treo650 with SDHC capabilities:

1. Use the ROMTool to ensure you have a good back up of your ROM just incase things go sour.
    2. Start by removing from ROM "MMCBulverdeIntelDrv_Device.prc" (according to shadowmite, this is the file that is the driver for the current sd card host controller)
    3. Add to ROM(from the previously downloaded zip files): "FAT32.prc", "SlotDriver_SDIO-sdsd.prc" and "SmartTextEngine_Device.prc"
    Am I right in assuming that one should also remove FATFS.prc?

.....and many thanks to all who have made this very exciting development possible!!

geoff
    Quote Originally Posted by burn a blunt View Post
    I was woundering, if I switch to fat32 will my old sd card still be read?
    Yup.

Canuck PDA
    Quote Originally Posted by TRgEOff View Post
    Am I right in assuming that one should also remove FATFS.prc?
    YES.
    That's awesome that the drivers can be used on a 650/700. But getting WIFI to work on a Treo....

I'm confused as to where the renewed hope is coming from. Where are the drivers for the Palm card being copied from? If it were as simple as copying a driver from a POS pda for example, I would think Palm would've done it long ago. They'd increase their own wifi card sales and put a LOT of criticisms out to pasture. Hopefully I am missing something.
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
    It's not as easy as copying the drivers over from any of the WiFi card-compatible Palms. Don't know the details, but I know people have tried and some bricked their Treos as a result.

Canuck PDA
    has anyone tried class 6 SDHC cards as well as class 2 ones? I have the 8G transcend class 2 card working in my 650 with the mods posted here. (yay!)

without overclocking vfsmark says:
    file create: 36%
    file delete: 11%
    file write: 13%
    file read: 627%
    file seek: 2360%
    DB export: 8%
    DB import: 454%
    record access: 1131%
    resource access: 1037%
    vfsmark: 630

with overclocking (speedy says 390mhz):
    file create: 37%
    file delete: 11%
    file write: 13%
    file read: 786%
    file seek: 2950%
    DB export: 8%
    DB import: 596%
    record access: 1573%
    resource access: 1371%
    vfsmark: 816
  20.    #40  
    without overclocking vfsmark says: speedy says 238 not over clocked
    file create: 45%
    file delete: 20%
    file write: 16%
    file read: 859%
    file seek: 3933%
    DB export: 28%
    DB import: 582%
    record access: 1248%
    resource access: 1324%
    vfsmark: 895

with overclocking (speedy says 337mhz):
    file create: 46%
    file delete: 20%
    file write: 16%
    file read: 843%
    file seek: 3933%
    DB export: 32%
    DB import: 591%
    record access: 1340%
    resource access: 1280%
    vfsmark: 900

oddly very little difference between overclocking and not for me.
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast