1.    #1  
    Anyone else notice that the 680 is not as speedy as te 650? I still have my 650 here (after not using it for 2 weeks, it still has a charge! grmble grmble).

Comparing them side by side, with the same data in both phones, I'm finding that the 650 is noticeably faster at looking up an address than the 680 is. Also, some screen redraw is faster on the 650.

I gotta say, after three weeks of bad battery and noticeable slowerness, the 680 continues to be a disappointment. The physical design is great, but in so many ways this is a downgrade. Hopefully there will be a 750p sometime soon...
    I also still have the 650...and you're right, the 680 clearly slower than the 650. No matter if it's scrolling, staring up apps or opening docs with apps...the 680 is much slower. I noticed this from day one...with a 680 without any software installed.
    I noticed that constant scrolling in some apps seems a bit slower, but I haven't observed general slowness to the point that it detracts from usability. So maybe it is, but I just haven't noticed so much. What I do notice is that I've had one spontaneous reset in two weeks. My 650 never managed that. I notice lots of improvements -- largely due to larger dbcache, doubtless -- that make me smile a whole lot more than the battery, etc makes me wince. YMMV
    I'm with taroliw...I havent benchmarked the two, but the speed on the 680 seems fine compared to what I remember of my 650 (I still have it but see no need to go back)...and the stability of the 680 is far better for me...I could never run Goodlink, Ptunes, TomTom and web in any combination without the 650 resetting along the way (to the point where I reset the treo to turn off GL before launching TT). I can run all 4 of those together on the 680 without any reset or speed issues(the added memory is the key it seems).

Sure the battery life sucks, but I'm learning how to better manage it.
    It seems just a tad less responsive.

BUT I am in love with the stability of this phone (and battery seems tolerable to my usage, as of now)... i've opened, closed, ran, opened PDF files that would cause my T650 to reset (and I've had to experience HARD resets with my T650 quite often...

NO HARD RESETS so far (except for those I induced... lol)
    Now it's the WAITING GAME: a GSM Palm Pre
    T680 (COPPER) + Cingular = FUN!!
    My T650 & 6230b and NX70 are retired... =(
    http://mrg9605.com
    http://ipgeek21.com
    noncents.net
    http://seresqueridos.com

justdai.com
    reddingk.com
    georgeozuna.com
    goaskoscar.com
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    The new 680 seems sluggish to me so I tried running palm internals on both with the same 3rd party software installed,

T650 - 5 secs
    T680 - 86 secs

wondering why is there such a big difference..... thought its suppose to be a newer firmware

matteosg
  7.    #7  
    Hey matteosg, that's really interesting. What's the benchmark you're running?
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Is anything faster on the 680, other than the battery drain?
    Apple iPhone 8GB
    Apple 15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Ghz C2D
    Retired Treo 650
    I also noticed that my 680 seems significantly slower than my 650.

One particular thing that slows down my 680 is on the "main" phone screen... it's the display that shows the number of email (or messaging) messages. Every time I go to this "main" phone screen I have to wait for the graphic and the count to appear.

Does anyone know how to disable the email count display?

If I could remove this email count display, I would definitely enjoy my 680 experience MUCH better.

Thanks!
    -Jeff
  11.    #11  
    I've also noticed that the Phone app, in general, seems to have a slower display all around. Screen refresh seems more sluggish in the phone app than anywhere else. I was wondering if maybe it was the only thing that was slower, but these benchmarks seem to indicate that it's everything. Sorry, no idea if it's possible to kill the email display.
    Quote Originally Posted by cntli View Post
    I also noticed that my 680 seems significantly slower than my 650.

One particular thing that slows down my 680 is on the "main" phone screen... it's the display that shows the number of email (or messaging) messages. Every time I go to this "main" phone screen I have to wait for the graphic and the count to appear.

Does anyone know how to disable the email count display?

If I could remove this email count display, I would definitely enjoy my 680 experience MUCH better.

Thanks!
    -Jeff
    Why don't you try deleting the emails from the phone.

My primary email storage is really on a PC. I use the Treo to download and read new emails when I don't have access to the PC. Otherwise, all mails are stored on the PC.

When you delete email (and empty trash) on the Treo and it gives you an option to also delete messages on the server, just don't select it. This would just delete the email from the Treo and still become retrievable on the PC.

Unless your primary email application is really the Treo (unique but not impossible). Then that's a different story altogether.

Anyway, I hope this helps.
    Yes it is slower than 650 , but faster than 750.
    Maybe due to multitasking ability ( pressing+hold Home)
    I think that bone stock it's pretty speedy, but once you load it up, it's as slow as my 650 when it was loaded up. It's bearable, except for the long resets when I have to reset it/change the SIM and the Date/Time prefs panel seems to hang a lot for me? MAJOR lag, and sometimes it freezes up at that screen. No other screen or program exhibits this behavior for me.
    (PowerPlay Vs) >> palmOne Zire 31 >>
    (palm Tungsten T3)/(palmOne Zire 72s) >> (palm Black Tie Trēo 650 Custom)/
    (palmOne LifeDrive Custom [SanDisk Ultra II CF])/(palm m515)/(palm T|X)
    handspring Visor Deluxe/Tapwave Zodiac 2/palm Trēo 680 Copper Orange

Canuck PDA