Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hello,

allow me to present a small Christmas present from Resco - a free news reader.

To make the things clear: We want to make a commercial version based on the user reactions on this introductory release. Yet the current version is a ready product able to satisfy a lot of users.

Resco Neeews! is basically an rss reader. That sounds a bit technical, doesn't it? Actually this was our main fear, as we knew that rss - however powerful the concept is - acquired the roof of a technical toy.

Hence we put all the effort into making the product that would serve ordinary users. I am quite confident that we succeeded at least partially.

Here are the features that distinguish current release from other rss readers:
    • It's free with no limitations.
    • It's nice (certainly nicer than other Resco apps or rss readers I know)
    • It's less technical than the other rss readers. In fact I would say that it can be used without any technical know-how at all.
    • It's fast. Rendering is fast. But most importantly the download is faster than the other rss readers we tested. (It is not only the question of speed - it means first of all savings on the download data.)
    • Testing and getting the basic impression is a matter of seconds. Everything is prepared, you need just a few clicks.
    • You can create your favorite newspaper (in technical terms: select the feeds and setup a few options) and make it accessible directly from the Palm Launcher. There can't be easier access.
    • Over 500 high quality feeds that are so diverse that everybody will find something.

The product is available at the Resco web site

We shall be happy to receive any comments or suggestions.

Merry Christmas
    Jan Slodicka
    Resco
    Please include a QuickStart manual. You are trying to attract RSS novices (like me). We need more hand-holding to get started.

Native support of the SD card will be a big plus for us memory-starved Treo 650 users.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad View Post
    Please include a QuickStart manual. You are trying to attract RSS novices (like me). We need more hand-holding to get started.

Native support of the SD card will be a big plus for us memory-starved Treo 650 users.
    Sure, manual will come - should be before the New Year.

Memory is a bigger issue and will be probably treated in the commercial version only. There are 2 options as I see it now:
    - Storing the feeds on the card.
    - Using the data compression. E.g. zipping would squeeze the data approx. 3 times.

Thanks for the comment
    Quote Originally Posted by Janos View Post
    Memory is a bigger issue and will be probably treated in the commercial version only. There are 2 options as I see it now:
    - Storing the feeds on the card.
    - Using the data compression. E.g. zipping would squeeze the data approx. 3 times.
    Is there a way to automatically store the feeds on the card? How would one use data compression? I don't recall seeing it in any of the settings...).
    Store feeds on the card like QuickNews, especially if you plan to support pocasts like QN (if it doesn't already..as well as inline images)..going to check it out now as I am a big fan of QN
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Looks like it does store on the card automatically in PALM/Programs/Rnews.. Thanks...and podcasts supported too! And inline images!

Couple things real quick (posting from treo and some of this might be there already):

-- option to sort articles from old to new (like to read things in order some times)

-- option to delete/remove old articles (once I'm done with a feed I like to remove it the articles)

-- option to indicate which newspapers have new unread articles

-- article counts

more later but looks good so far!
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    When searching for feeds (ie:yahoo), it seems to hang @ 31.6k. I then have to abort to cancel the search.
    Cigar,
    VZW 755p
    VAJA Orange Case, Custom takephone skin (Thanks NachoB), Chatter, PalmRevolt, treolauncher, and a bunch of other stuff
    Why does it lock itself into ram after you exit it? I'm trying to move it to the SD card (I generally move everything to the SD card in ZLauncher) and it says that the database is protected and locked.
    Global Posts
    90 Global Posts
    thanks for letting us know about this! i was just looking for an rss reader the other day, and have just downloaded yours to try it out...
    This looks very promising. I have found a bug which is really annoying me, so I hope it is fixed soon.

The bug is when I go to create a new Newspaper and I select "Add/Search new feeds". When I click "Add" to add my own personal feed, I get the "New Feed" window where I can put in the feed address and name. The bug is the menu function. When I click the menu key on my device, my device soft-resets. This is very very annoying because it prevents me from copying and pasting a RSS feed address from my memos. If it helps, I am running a Sprint Treo 700p. That is the only bug I see so far.

I currently use QuickNews by Standalone as my RSS reader. One feature that it does not have that I would like to see in this RSS reader is actually "updating" in the backround. Let me give you an example. I want to be able to start Resco News, click update, go to another application, and when I come back to Resco News, my feeds will have been updated. I know something like this is possible, because I can do this in Chatter. So this is one feature I would like to see in Resco News, if at all possible.

I also havn't had the chance to do auto updates in Resco News, so I don't know if the program does this already. In Chatter, when my auto-updates occur to get my email, it does not launch the Chatter program, it just updates itself no matter what program I am in... this in my mind is true "auto updating in the backround". Does Resco News auto update like that? Or does the program automatically launched and then updated?

Please excuse me if this option is already in the program, I have only tested it out for about 5 minutes. Is it me, or is there no way to tell what articles in a Newspaper are new, read, or old? If there isn't a way, can this please be added? Possibly like, bold for new, italized for old, and regular font for read.

And like scottymomo (above) suggested, article counts and an option to indicate which newspapers have new unread articles would be nice.

I hope I am not asking for too much. Thanks.
    Last edited by herofromsomeday; 12/24/2006 at 05:19 PM.
    Since the program is locked, it won't let me delete it.

What gives?
    Nothing on the Treo is "locked" (which is actuallly unforturnate). You may need to soft-reset and delete. Or use FileZ.
    No, the database IS locked after launching Neeews, as I mentioned in post #8 of this thread. I noticed it trying to move it to SD in ZLauncher. It will delete from the stock palm Launcher, no soft reset required.

I wish they'd fix that, I suspect it's for the "background update" feature which I have disabled in all News (I believe it is by default..)
    This is a very nice program and it is very vlear that usability was the intent. If some good marketing can be throwb behind this Neeews can be a very successful program, especially how much Palm is pushing the data end of the Treo 680.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    Is this better than just hitting a mobile news website? If so, how? Obviously I know nothing about it.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller View Post
    Is this better than just hitting a mobile news website? If so, how? Obviously I know nothing about it.
    I'm in this boat as well....

I've never used an RSS reader. I've heard of them, but don't really understand what it is. I know programs such as Pocket Express exist, which looks simply like a portal to stuff you can get on the web. Is that basically what a RSS reader is?

So it's quicker because it downloads the news like an email client downloads email so you don't have to wait for web pages of your favorite news websites to load when you want to read them? If that's all it is, I'm not sure if it's really something I would want to clutter my treo with.

What would be cool is if I could get some sort of sports score ticker that would scroll along the bottom of my treo's screen like the one you see on ESPN. Is there any kind of program out there to do that?
    As I understand rss, it's a way to select several news/info sources like you are interested in and the reader will go to each of the sites and get the summaries. It's easier than going to yahoo, cnn, espn, etc individually for news summaries. I've been able to get the news summaries for CNN, but not sure how to read the complete story of ones that catch my attention.

I'm trying Neeews right now and can't quite figure out exactly how to configure it to get info I'm interested in. I'm in same boat as the other newbies. I'll keep poking around with it to see what I can learn.
    Last edited by slorandy; 01/01/2007 at 03:26 PM.
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    This looking pretty good. I've added several rss feeds and have them downloading in the background. Works great. The only problem I'm having is with podcasts. I'm trying some AP News podcasts and they never seem to play. PocketTunes just says it is connincting. I guess it could be PT that is the problem. I've had this problem in PT within the program itself. Thanks for the great program!
    silly name, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller View Post
    This is better than hitting a mobile news website in that you are only getting the articles, and not the entire web page (which can be bear on smaller screens). Therefore its a good bit faster to load, and like a program like AvantGo where you can save a webpage to view later, you can download an RSS feed and read it when its convenient for you.

One of the main issues with RSS isnt that it's not a good idea, only that its a bear to explain. This article might help you some in where RSS can fit in your mobile information circle.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast