Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I'm really impressed with this product and the support. I've e-mailed several questions and always get a reply within 24hrs. One problem I have is when I turn off my phone at night the background updates (set for 4 hrs on certain feeds) continue and generate an error message that makes my phone vibrate. For now I've turned off the background feeds.
    Other than that it is an incredible product for the price.
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    Needs support for authenticated rss feeds. I have several feeds that you have to login to see them. There appears to be no mechanism within Resco Neeews to allow you to do this.

For example:

http://ssrjazz.livejournal.com/data/rss?auth=digest

This url will ask you to login with your livejournal account in order to see the friends only posts that I make in that journal. If you're a friend of mine and you authenticate, it will generate the rss feed with all of my posts public and private.

I'm wanting to make a newspaper of all my livejournal friends rss feeds, but i need to be able to authenticate to see all the posts.
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by ssrjazz View Post
    Needs support for authenticated rss feeds.
    Ok, this support is on the way, but will be included only into the commercial release - sorry.

Best regards
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by slorandy View Post
    when I turn off my phone at night the background updates (set for 4 hrs on certain feeds) continue and generate an error message that makes my phone vibrate.
    Connection error messages - a big issue we are trying to solve at the moment. Palm apparently did not foresee the needs of the background tasks and did not give any means to suppress the interaction. There is probably no other option as to artificially (and blindly) simulate user action by trying to press possible buttons such as Cancel, Ok etc.

Best regards
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by herofromsomeday View Post
    The bug is the menu function. When I click the menu key on my device, my device soft-resets.
    I guess you know about it already, but just for sure: The current release has a fix.
    I would like to see in this RSS reader is actually "updating" in the backround. Let me give you an example. I want to be able to start Resco News, click update, go to another application, and when I come back to Resco News, my feeds will have been updated.
    Commercial release will be better in this respect for sure. At the bare minimum it will be blocking only during the download of the text information. Images themselves (which use to constitute the most of the data) will not block anythig.

We could go deeper if there will be real user demand, but it is not easy. True background update as you describe can be realized via the sound thread. There are 2 potential risks:
    - Bad interactions with the audio players - probably just decreased sound quality.
    - Possible system interaction because of connection problems.

In any case this kind of advanced functionality is left for later. (Although we did some tests proving that the idea is feasible.)

I also havn't had the chance to do auto updates in Resco News, so I don't know if the program does this already. In Chatter, when my auto-updates occur to get my email, it does not launch the Chatter program, it just updates itself no matter what program I am in... this in my mind is true "auto updating in the backround". Does Resco News auto update like that?
    It's like that. But there is still the big problem to solve - interactive system messages during the connection problems.

Is it me, or is there no way to tell what articles in a Newspaper are new, read, or old? If there isn't a way, can this please be added? Possibly like, bold for new, italized for old, and regular font for read.
    We are thinking about it and also test the user demand. At this moment the reading state is not in, we just support favorites. (By pressing the star icon.)

And like scottymomo (above) suggested, article counts and an option to indicate which newspapers have new unread articles would be nice.
    Partially done. The update writes a number of new articles over the newspaper icon.
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad View Post
    Please include a QuickStart manual.

Native support of the SD card will be a big plus for us memory-starved Treo 650 users.
    I don't know if you noticed that - manual and SD card installation is provided in the latest release.

Best regards
    Have a 700p, When I load a page from News, Blazer resets. It occurs immediately if I hit any button/command while the rss page is loading or automatically occurs at the completion of the page load. After the reset, I can go directly to Blazer and load the same page from history without incident. Error reads Web with Fatal Exception.
    Quote Originally Posted by phillydog View Post
    Have a 700p, When I load a page from News, Blazer resets. It occurs immediately if I hit any button/command while the rss page is loading or automatically occurs at the completion of the page load. After the reset, I can go directly to Blazer and load the same page from history without incident. Error reads Web with Fatal Exception.
    This happens to me as well.
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    I'm having the same reset problem when an article tries to load in Blazer. Is this a Blazer issue or a Resco issue?
    I'll "me too".
    Any plans for a WM5 version?
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Uninstall Manager and ZLauncher can't delete this application - something about a locked database...how can I remove (all of) it?
    How about deleting from the standard palm launcher?
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jsgreen View Post
    Uninstall Manager and ZLauncher can't delete this application - something about a locked database...how can I remove (all of) it?
    You could use FileZ, select (check) Resco News, tap Details, Attrs, and check "recyclable," save, close, soft reset the device and try deleting it again with the standard Palm launcher (don't run the app.).
    Late '08 MacBook Pro, 2.53 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 500 GB HD 7200; Mid 2011 MacBook Air 11" 1.6GHz, 4 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD; 32GB iPhone 4; 32GB WiFi iPad 2 (White); Apple TV; Nikon D300; AND (Hopefully) a 16GB HP Touchpad from the fire sale! TWITTER: @RobT43
    Quote Originally Posted by LupeValenz View Post
    How about deleting from the standard palm launcher?
    See above. Almost all things can be deleted from the standard launcher. Why can't other programs do the same thing the Palm Launcher Delete function does is my question.
    Thanks for the advice - I had forgotten about the standard launcher (so used to Uninstall Manager and ZL)...

Off topic to this thread, and old news, but might be helpful - I just read through the Palm Internals thread and it really helped me (especially the re-worked version of kepcaps600 from http://www.nekito.net/~sachs/palm/, which really made my Treo 680 faster).

Thanks again

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=90357
    Quote Originally Posted by Janos View Post
    Connection error messages - a big issue we are trying to solve at the moment. Palm apparently did not foresee the needs of the background tasks and did not give any means to suppress the interaction. There is probably no other option as to artificially (and blindly) simulate user action by trying to press possible buttons such as Cancel, Ok etc.

Best regards
    Why not do it the way VersaMail and other programs do it...use the Alerts dialog. When I have connection problems, the snowflake pops up, and when I get around to it, I can identify and clear the problem.

TR1
    Handspring Prism ---> PalmOne Treo650
    Well I see that Neeews works great on my Treo but wanted to use it on the nice 320x480 screen of my TH55, sadly it wasn't able to download podcast >.< Was missing http library, but simple beam over to the TH and now its working . Here is the file just in case anyone had the same problem
    Attached Files Attached Files
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12