1.    #1  
    I have a 700p w/sprint power vision data plan (the 15$ a month plan) can I use it as a dial up modem for my laptop?
    TIA
    Yes. Use the search feature, its covered quite well
    Google "PDANet".
  4.    #4  
    I found this one and it works great.

http://www.mobile-stream.com/usbmodem.html

I have the Sprint Power vision pack that costs 15 a month, does anyone know if Sprint can charge more for using this DUN program?
    Quote Originally Posted by newtonjack View Post

I have the Sprint Power vision pack that costs 15 a month, does anyone know if Sprint can charge more for using this DUN program?
    Legally yes. But supposedly they can't tell. I use it seamlessly via USB on my Mac Powerbook and it's awesome. It's still kinda iffy via BT, but in a pinch when I forget the cord, it works.

You can get additional cables via eBay, I use the cheap retractable ones and they're great (they work as well as the think cables, IMHO). Check the prices on then combined with car chargers and/or wall chargers, they're a steal.

Gary
    Sprint Treo 755p (previously Sprint Treo 700p, Sprint i500, Sprint i330 [yuk], Sprint i300, Sprint StarTac, Verizon StarTac)
    Mac 12" 1.5 GHz PowerBook (Constantly tethered to my Treo)
    Gary Said... (my blog) or The Daily Meme
  6. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fafafoooey View Post
    Google "PDANet".
    Wasted money for a 700P.
  7. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts

Yes they can. Search for "tethered hack". I use it and I do not get charged.
  8. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Neonrt3 View Post
    Yes. Use the search feature, its covered quite well
    What a snotty post. For all the typing you did you could have given him/her a direction to search.
  9. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    The DUN (Dial up Networking) feature is built into the 700P. This in essence means it is free, ie no 3rd party programs. I use the tethered hack via BT and it works very well for me.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by garylapointe View Post
    Legally yes. But supposedly they can't tell. I use it seamlessly via USB on my Mac Powerbook and it's awesome. It's still kinda iffy via BT, but in a pinch when I forget the cord, it works.

You can get additional cables via eBay, I use the cheap retractable ones and they're great (they work as well as the think cables, IMHO). Check the prices on then combined with car chargers and/or wall chargers, they're a steal.

Gary
    When you say you use it seamlessly do you mean the Mobile-Stream modem I referred to or some other one?
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG View Post
    The DUN (Dial up Networking) feature is built into the 700P. This in essence means it is free, ie no 3rd party programs. I use the tethered hack via BT and it works very well for me.
    Thanks NRG, I read up on that was it easy to set up?

PS Indian rocks beach, is that near St Pete? My nephew moved to that area last year and loves it. I may relocate there, had enough of the Buffalo snows.
  12.    #12  
    What a snotty post. For all the typing you did you could have given him/her a direction to search.
    Im a him Now if my name was Newtonjill........
  13. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Thanks NRG, I read up on that was it easy to set up?
    No prob. I am not too sure if this is a question or statement, lol sorry. Anyways, it is really easy to setup. If you got it working make sure to install the tehtered hack, or hang on let me post it for you....... there you go. Hope every thing works out for you.

PS Indian rocks beach, is that near St Pete? My nephew moved to that area last year and loves it. I may relocate there, had enough of the Buffalo snows.
    Yes it is. It is just north of St. Pete Beach by about 20 min. and south of Clearwater beach by about 5. http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Indian+Rocks+Beach,+FL

I say come on down out of that snow, we got quite a few westren NYers in the Tampa area.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    When you say you use it seamlessly do you mean the Mobile-Stream modem I referred to or some other one?
    I mean mobile-stream's USBmodem (the mobile-stream part is the only part I quoted, didn't reference the other part).
    It works great on my Mac Powerbook.

Gary
    Sprint Treo 755p (previously Sprint Treo 700p, Sprint i500, Sprint i330 [yuk], Sprint i300, Sprint StarTac, Verizon StarTac)
    Mac 12" 1.5 GHz PowerBook (Constantly tethered to my Treo)
    Gary Said... (my blog) or The Daily Meme
    hmm I wonder if dialup can mean "phone" dialup to a private network. One of my client has "remote access", but it's base on phone number to dialup not IP dialup. any idea on how Treo700p can do this?
    Visor -> Treo 300 -> Sprint Treo 700p -> Treo 800w

Call it snotty if you want, however using the search to find an answer to a question should be the first thing anyone new does. Each forum I am a member of, or run, it is a suggested thing.

I am not in the business of hand holding everyone who needs help, but pointing out to them where to start is exactly what I did.
    While I agree about the searching generally, I do have to thank NRG for this exception tremendously.

I searched first as always and found a seemingly never ending thread on the tethered hack. I had to try to follow it and set it up on my Treo - because I was on the road and had no internet access on my laptop which is why I needed it. I gave up after about an hour and getting through 3 pages that had my Treo constantly jumping all over the internet to different sites to read docs, install Resco, downloading a .php (???) script, etc, etc ,etc etc... After all that work it still did not work because I think one link was out of date. I gave up.

Now all I have to do is take a minute to download the attached .prc which was impossible via a search before this thread. And remember that not everyone reading a post titled, "tethered hack", would equate that to, "dialup modem.".

I say bite the next guy's head off that asks but cut this one a break!
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
    Actually, I still had to use Resco Explorer to install it. Also, it still installs as a .php. I had thought that maybe it had been changed to a .prc by the end of the Bible thread. My bluetooth screen still looks exactly the same as when I could not connect my XP laptop. Guess I am going to have free up a few hours.
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
    I second the fact that it sometimes works over BT but always works via USB for me as well. Although, I do get dropped connections if I let it sit for more than a minute or two.